High blood pressure in thin, active 17 year old?

BusynMember

Jumper's boyfriend was with us in Chicago and both Jumper and her boyfriend J. took their blood pressure twice at (I think) a K-mart with a blood pressure pump. Jumper's was good. J's was really high for a kid his age...something like 160/90. He's very thin and athletic and tries to eat healthy. I wonder if the pump was defective. Anyway, they came back to the motel room and he was a little worried. I told him just to make sure his mom knew and not to stress over it and he seemed fine after that.

I am wondering what could cause high blood pressure in a young athlete who eats pretty healthy and has no fat on his body. Anyone have experience with this?

BusynMember

I told him that. He said he wasn't nervous. Oh, well. I guess he'll find out. His mom is on the ball and she won't ignore it. He seems perfectly healthy.

pasajes4

Sometimes it is heredity. It is probably nothing but nerves or a malfunctioning machine. He might want to check it again at several other machines just to see if it was a fluke.

Josie

He should definitely get it checked. My husband, who was thin and athletic, was diagnosed with high blood pressure in college. He was prescribed medicine to keep it down but he didn't start taking it until he was in his mid 20's. His mother also had high blood pressure at a young age.

InsaneCdn

A single "high" reading isn't something to be concerned about, other than to keep checking on a regular basis. Consistently or frequently "high" readings are a problem, as is ANY "sky-high" reading.

A single high reading can come from having recently eaten salty food, for example. If that happens every time he eats salty foods, then he may need to lay off the salt habit.

BusynMember

Well, they took it twice...once in the morning and once in the evening. The reason I'm a little concerned is that my ex had this and it turned out it was due to a serious endocrine disorder that includes tumors on the adrenal glands.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Those pumps aren't the most accurate. Mainly because children ect mess around with them as well as people checking their blood pressure.

It would depend on "how high is high". A little high would be no big deal even in an average person regardless of age. 120/80 is the average norm. It's not a set number. Most of my life mine ran 90/60 until the kidney issues got more severe. That was my "normal".

Telling his mom is a good idea. Checking it again is likely a good idea. We've got an awful lot of young athletes popping up with cardiac issues they go undiagnosed until something serious happens. On the slim chance a random act sent up a red flag for such issues......it needs to be checked again.

Travis' b/p runs high due to his thick blood from the polycythemia. His disorder is rare, rarer still in those prior to middle age. We got "clues" from phlebotomist drawing his blood. Had I gotten a doctor to actually check it out (they wouldn't, I tried) at the time, we might have avoided the major stroke. But it was one of those random out of context clues and at the time it just seemed like an oddity. Hindsight is 20/20.

Is probably nothing to worry about. But it doesn't hurt to check it out. If someone in the family has a blood pressure cuff and knows how to take it, they can check without having the cost of a doctor.

witzend

My doctor told me that the blood pressure things at stores always read a little high as a protection to the store. 160/90 is probably not accurate. It probably doesn't help to be taken while out goofing off with a friend, either. He should sit quietly by himself at the machine for a few minutes then take it, then sit quietly for a few more minutes and take it again. Anxiety and activity will naturally raise your blood pressure.

He should probably ask a doctor or nurse to take it. Most offices will do a BiPolar (BP) check free of charge if there is a concern and if you are already a patient. I wouldn't sweat this one, though.

My mother has a history of hypertension and renal artery stenosis. All of us kids have high BiPolar (BP), but I did my best to avoid it. I've been on medication since I was in my late thirties. I also watch my salt intake and try to maintain a healthy diet. I'm not able to do aerobic exercise, so I can't count on that.

Last edited:

BusynMember

Thanks. The only thing is, Jumper's BiPolar (BP) came out good both times, but I am sure his mom will check it out and he does seem to be a perfectly healthy kid who does the right things to STAY that way. I hope we're all right. He's a fantastic kid.