Holiday open house

Lil

Ooohh Halloween.

If you were within driving distance (and have a hearse). You could pick this up from my garage.
View attachment 861

You have MUCH more interesting stuff in your garage than we do!

But, yes I do need Christmas ideas , recipes etc. for the Open House

I lost track of who's thread this was! Stand by my previous post. :wink:

Things don't have to be fancy to be festive. A lot of it is presentation.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0b/68/b5/0b68b505c963c1dbe50dd45729f79b06.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7d/f7/c5/...5a--veggie-christmas-christmas-party-food.jpg
http://bebehblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Winter-Fairy-Birthday_-5.jpg
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7c/15/42/7c154287d52c7369b1230a11dc584abf.jpg

Making the table look pretty is half the battle.

I'm making myself want a party!

Last edited:

Lil

In case you can't see my pictures.

Attachments

• capture1.PNG
    capture1.PNG
    270.2 KB · Views: 206
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    671.1 KB · Views: 211
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 197

Lil

capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG
I've just always wanted to do a really pretty buffet table with little risers for the food, etc. I love these. I especially love the idea of the packages to raise up some plates. How easy and cheap and festive is that?

Copabanana

nomad. if i were you i would every week try a recipe or two. i think this thread lays out a very lovely and special meal. it ia a question of what you decide on.

why not think about a menu and share with us. maybe people will try recipes. or ask us for our ideas about a menu. or tell us what specific help you need to find recipes of a specific kind. or tell us what you don't want.

Like do you want pie? If yes. What kind? maybe you can make mini pies, tarts or bars.

Christmas cookies?

Snacks like dips, appetizers? What kind? do you want to focus on individual hor dourves ?

Quiches , savory pies? individual size or large?

Salads? What appeals to you? or do you feel they would be cumbersome to eat and messy? ie not finger food.

A meat like ham or beef?

Cider or mulled wine or punch?

What else?

Answering these questions yes or no will give you the beginning of a menú.

Lil. That is beautiful. There you are nomad.

Last edited:

susiestar

Roll With It
For serving hot foods, think crock pots and ice buckets. Yes, ice buckets. They are insulated and will keep foods hot for extended periods. My mom has a collection of them that she has gotten at estate sales and yard sales that are great for parties. Almost everyone you know has a crockpot or two, most people will let you borrow one for a party.

My favorite halloween item was a spider cake. I baked the body in a bowl and the head in a smaller one. Then I cut a slice off of each and filled them with red jello that I had fluffed up a bit. I used twinkies for the legs and frosted it all with black frosting. It was huge but a big hit. It was a party with a lot of kids and boy did they love the oozing jello that came out when I cut into the head and the body. One of the Moms was apparently not expecting that and got sick. Surprised all of us. The kids were entertained by that too.

I have also done a kitty litter cake for kids. They loved it. I baked a cake in a 9x13 pan and left it in the pan. I put a layer of white frosting down and put tootsie rolls (without wrappers) on the frosting. Before the frosting set, I poured grape nerds all over so it was a thick layer with no frosting showing, and pressed them down so they were into the frosting. Then I poured more grape nerds on so the tootsie rolls were mostly covered. Just to make things fun, I had a new kitty litter scoop that I sent with the cake (it was for hubby's office party for halloween) for serving. Once hubby cut the first piece and people saw that it was cake, they loved it. It looked VERY realistic. I did it because someone told hubby that no one could make a cake that looked like a litter box. Oh, yes I can!

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
For serving hot foods, think crock pots and ice buckets. Yes, ice buckets. They are insulated and will keep foods hot for extended periods. My mom has a collection of them that she has gotten at estate sales and yard sales that are great for parties. Almost everyone you know has a crockpot or two, most people will let you borrow one for a party.

My favorite halloween item was a spider cake. I baked the body in a bowl and the head in a smaller one. Then I cut a slice off of each and filled them with red jello that I had fluffed up a bit. I used twinkies for the legs and frosted it all with black frosting. It was huge but a big hit. It was a party with a lot of kids and boy did they love the oozing jello that came out when I cut into the head and the body. One of the Moms was apparently not expecting that and got sick. Surprised all of us. The kids were entertained by that too.

I have also done a kitty litter cake for kids. They loved it. I baked a cake in a 9x13 pan and left it in the pan. I put a layer of white frosting down and put tootsie rolls (without wrappers) on the frosting. Before the frosting set, I poured grape nerds all over so it was a thick layer with no frosting showing, and pressed them down so they were into the frosting. Then I poured more grape nerds on so the tootsie rolls were mostly covered. Just to make things fun, I had a new kitty litter scoop that I sent with the cake (it was for hubby's office party for halloween) for serving. Once hubby cut the first piece and people saw that it was cake, they loved it. It looked VERY realistic. I did it because someone told hubby that no one could make a cake that looked like a litter box. Oh, yes I can!
Your killing me. I had to copy and paste in my notes. I love both of these ideas. Very Creative!