I am so proud of difficult child!

Nancy

I texted difficult child this morning to tell her the police detective that handled so many of her problems over the years with the police in our community's father died. She was surprised and asked if I was going to go to the wake. I said no but that she might want to go to let him know how well she's doing.his detective went out of his way to talk to her and try to help her when she started getting into trouble at age 14. Many times he told her to respect and love her parents because someday they would be gone and she would be sorry for how she treated us. He ended up responsible for having her sent to juvie hall for a weekend and was tough on her in the end. Of course she thought he really sold her down the river and the mom in me thought he betrayed her, but in the end what he did was help her on the road to sobriety.

To my surprise she said she wanted to go to the wake and did go this afternoon. She called me on the way home and said he was so happy to see her and that he thought of her often and hugged her and started to cry when she told him that she was sober and in AA and that if he had not been so hard on her she probably would not have gotten sober. His sister was standing next to him and said that was the most emotional story she ever heard and hugged her also. Then he introduced her to his wife and asked difficult child to tell her the story and when she did his wife started to cry and hugged difficult child and told her that they never get to hear what happens to people after and it was so nice of her to come. She told difficult child that she was a beautiful young lady and could do whatever she wanted in life. difficult child said everyone was crying at this point. She said she was really glad she went. I told her that he would remember that for the rest of his life.

I was so proud of difficult child to want to do this and then do it on her own. I have to think that this experience really made an impact on her and hopefully gives her more incentive to stay sober.

Nancy

Last edited:

dashcat

Oh, Nancy, this is so amazing! What she did will stay with that detective forever. So often, people in that line of work never really see the good outcomes. That she went to the wake and showed him that what he does makes a difference really speaks to the kind of heart that she has. I'm proud of her too!
Dash

buddy

I have tears pouring down my face. How amazing was that? She really is a great kid and I hope she can keep it up.

rejectedmom

"I was so proud of difficult child to want to do this and then do it on her own. I have to think that this experience really made an impact on her and hopefully gives her more incentive to stay sober."

I hope so too Nancy.

Nancy

What's really significant is that this was at the wake of his father and he always told her how much he loved his dad and how her dad obviously loved her a lot too because we were always there with her trying to get her help and that one day we would be gone and she would be sorry that she lost all those years. She said she wanted to tell him she did love us and now that she was sober she realized we really did love her, but that the line was so long behindher she couldn't. I told her I think he knew that.

She also told me that everyone in the program asks her why she has her license and car, since hardly any of them do, and she is the one who has to drive everyone around. She told them the only reason she has it is because her parents took her car away for two years and how she hated us so much for doing that but that she would have lost her license and probably been in jail or dead if we didn't.

I never thought I would see the day when she recognized that what we did was out of love.

Nancy

Hi Nancy

Obviously her true personality without the cloud of substance use (alcohol in her case) is now coming out. She sounds like someone you can truly be proud of - something many of us believe will be true about our kids once we have got them onto the straight path! Well done, it sound like you are now reaping the rewards of years of struggle and hard work, with the result being a kid that has been through the mill but has come out the other side a lovely young woman.

D
x

rejectedmom

That is so wonderful Nancy. They can be the person we always knew they were once the junk is out of their system and maturity has settled in. Your story gives many of us hope so thank you for sharing.

P

PatriotsGirl

That is just so so cool, Nancy. Very very happy for you and difficult child!!

DDD

What a BIG step forward that is, Nancy. I can only imagine how proud you and husband feel. Great! DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nancy that is such a moving experience for them both, I'm sure it will stick with them forever. How sweet of her to do that for him. So often they never get to hear the success stories to know that they truly made a difference in a person's life.

DammitJanet

I am very proud of her..very. I can attest to the fact that cops so very rarely hear about their actions impact people positively. Im glad she was able to tell him. Not only will it stay with him but it will stay with her. Good job difficult child.