Imaginative play

Malika

One of the most wondrous aspects of a child to me is their imaginative play. I love hearing J have these extended sessions in which he will play out great performances involving different voices and dialogues with his toys. All spontaneous, of course, and I sense very healthy for a child.

buddy

It is one of the most fun things and one of the things I grieved for the most for Q. For a long time he didn't even sing in the bathtub like all my nieces and nephews, or any kids I took care of overnights would. I love hearing their play schemes and silly words and how toys take on different roles and forms etc. It is magical.

Malika

I'm sorry Q never had that, Buddy. We all grieve for different things for our children, I suppose.

buddy

I learned to love his "parties" where he lined up all of his toys, which he loved all the same as other kids, and he would watch long NASCAR races. He had them grouped by sport or where he got the toys etc. He would try to sucker me, mom, it is a special day ... can we get DQ cones for my NASCAR party?

Like that book.... You Will Dream New Dreams.... about learning to accept your child with special needs. It is true. I felt bad for that, and that he doesn't have real friends.... but he thinks he has friends and is comfortable with the level of friendship he has with some kids. So, I have worked really hard to realize it is really about how he perceives things and helping him to achieve what he wants.