little tears tonight....easy child college

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
Okay so I am a little emotional tonight. We moved our easy child into her dorm today. Been home for about an hour and I keep having what if this or what if that happens. She is close enough drive (1 and 1/2 hours there), but I'm just nervous. She does not make friends easily and I'm afraid she will be really homesick.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Ah, Hopeless, it's hard on our mother's hearts to let our little birds fly..............I know how you feel...........this may be just what she needs, and if it isn't you will be there for her then too.....................be kind to yourself, take a long bath, have a glass of wine............a good cry............whatever you need to make you feel better...........sending you big hugs...........

BusynMember

Hon, I understand your tears. When Jumper goes to college, I'll be a weepy mess, but not because I'm afraid of her not being able to handle it. It will be me who will be the one missing her so badly. Oh, she may get homesick, but she'll have her friends and new life and be busy. I'm going to cry like a rainstorm burst from my eyes. I never wanted an empty nest, which is why I still have a minor child at almost sixty years old. Foster care will definitely be in my plans. It's going to be strange to come home and have none of my children, grown or not, at home. And Sonic is moving to his own place right before Jumper goes off to school, but at least he'll be nearby (sniff, sniff). Jumper will be two and a half hours away.

FlowerGarden

One of my sons is on the quiet side. I worried he'd be homesick. Well, he wound up making a lot of friends in college. One thing I noticed in his dorm was that most everyone kept their doors wide open when they were in them and available to hang out. The kids were running all around visiting each other, hanging out in the hallway, door to a room, or in a room. Everyone said hi to everyone passing by. They closed their doors to study, sleep, or when they weren't there. I hope she proves you wrong like my son proved me wrong!

slsh

member since 1999
I was thinking of you yesterday, Hopeless, as my youngest son left for college as well. Serious tears. I kept telling him, as I was sobbing/hugging him, not to let my tears affect him 'cuz I'm just insane and he needs to ignore me. Bless his heart, his response was that all is as it's supposed to be - he's heading off to college and I'm crying.

Weeburt is also not a real social kid. Whenever my kids leave home for any period of time, I always sneak a letter into their luggage. My letter to Wee this time included a request from me that he make a conscious effort to not say "no" when asked to go anywhere with peers - Walmart, pizza joint, book store, whatever. The only exceptions I allowed were if asked to go to a heroin den or bank robbery, LOL.

It's especially hard to have Wee go because he's always been my easiest kid. Just a total delight. Wicked sense of humor and sharp wit. And I cannot believe how fast the years have gone by. I swear he was just in kindergarten yesterday, and so proud to be tall enough to touch the top of my head last night. Today he's a 6'5" man, living in a dorm. I know he will figure out how to take care of himself, but... I worry because sometimes he's a little oblivious.

It's good that they're heading out. They'll struggle and will make mistakes but will also learn and eventually thrive. It's how it's supposed to be.

The highlight of my day yesterday was that difficult child came over specifically to check on me. He walked in, asked how I was. I burst into tears for the zillionth time and he just hugged me and told me everything would be okay. Made me so grateful yet again for all my kids.

Hang in there. And know that you're not alone.

DammitJanet

Oh hun, Im sorry you have such mixed emotions. I am pretty sure your easy child is probably having butterflies too. Im also betting she will do just fine.

I also understand the tears even though none of mine left to go to a university. When we had to take my middle son off to the place for him to leave for boot camp we were all a mess. It didnt help it was raining but that did give him an excuse for his wet face...lol. We knew we wouldnt see him for at least 16 weeks which turned out to be 17. We didnt get any phone calls until the last week he was there. I could only send letters and a few specific goodies - gatorade, power bars, cough drops and beef jerky. You can believe I sent a ton of those things...lol. But yeah, we had to drive him an hour and a half away to the place and all the way home without him everyone in our car was just sniffling and wiping our faces.

We eventually got over it but those first weeks were killers. The really funny part was when he came home for the two weeks between boot camp and his next phase, he sat there and told us he sure didnt know why he was in such a rush to grow up. Childhood was a whole lot better because he knew that now he was a man and there was no coming home again. Oh sure he visits but the world would have to fall off its axis for him to have to move back here.

Now its 10 and a half years later and he is all grown up.