Looking for an expert in invasive radiology

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Estherfromjerusalem, Feb 3, 2008.

  1. Estherfromjerusalem

    Estherfromjerusalem Well-Known Member

    I am trying to help my daughter get hold of an expert doctor to give an expert medical opinion, and we are not able to find one in our country.

    I have received permission from the moderator of this forum to make this request.

    Four years ago, my daughter gave birth to her third child. It was extremely difficult and life-threatening, and in fact on the same day she underwent four major surgical procedures, and we almost lost her more than once. Thank heavens she came through it, but she is not the same in several ways.

    Since they knew that the Caesarian they were going to perform ran the risk of major hemorrhaging, they performed embolization on her uterine arteries, which caused blockages and she almost lost her legs. There was negligence on several counts, but the experts in this field (it's called "invasive radiology") don't want to give evidence since there are only a few of them in this country and they don't want to testify since they all know each other.

    So, if anyone knows a doctor who is an expert in this field, who would be willing to give an expert medical opinion (obviously, for remuneration), I would be grateful (gross understatement) if you would PM it to me and I will pass it on to my daughter.

    This is completely above board and is being dealt with by a lawyer's office which specializes in medical cases. This daughter of mine is also a lawyer. She's a wonderful girl, a great wife and mother, and of course I want to help her. She has had a rough deal, medically.

    Long-term results of her day of operations: hysterectomy (when she was only 31); adhesions in her intestines resulting in major surgery, and frequent hospitalization to "unblock" the blockages, up to today; blood clots in her system, causing weakness in her legs; and a slight stroke, from which she has bounced back, but had to take serious medication for a year.

    If you have read this far -- thanks for "listening" and I hope that just one of you comes up with a name.

    Thank you, family.

    Love, Esther
  2. Fran

    Fran Former desparate mom

    Esther, I'm sorry to say that I have no experience in this medical procedure. I am unaware of the specialty. I would do a google search for that specialty and find where this procedure is done the most in the U.S. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a university teaching hospital since that is where they do the most cutting edge type procedures.
  3. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    I wish I could help but my medical contacts are quite limited. My easy child is
    with Emory University Hospital and I will ask her. Meanwhile, I'll cross some body parts that the "right" person is located soon. Hugs. DDD
  4. Estherfromjerusalem

    Estherfromjerusalem Well-Known Member

    Thanks, Fran. That sounds like a good idea. I will tell them to try that.

    Love, Esther
  5. Marguerite

    Marguerite Active Member

    Esther, I'll discuss it with husband and talk about sending a modified form of your post to our former GP (now specialising in pain management). I don't think he personally is what you're looking for but he might know someone who could help. I might also see if husband can pass it on to HIS GP, she has different connections.

    My new GP - I don't know her well enough, otherwise I would ask her.

    I'm recommending that any contacts from these people route their willingness etc through me, with their contact details. I will then PM them to you. But frankly, I'm not holding my breath on this.

    Besides, if they were willing, would they be needed in person? If so, it would be better (for you) to find someone geographically closer, to reduce air fare costs.

    I do think Fran's ideas are very good, may get you a better response.

    Good luck with it.

  6. Coookie

    Coookie Active Member

    Sweet Esther,

    I can be of no help medically but you and your daughter will be in my thoughts and prayers. :(

    Hugs to you friend... and I do remember the real ones. :)
  7. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    Esther, I have a name to share with you. I can't send a PM because somehow I have it turned off and I have no idea how to turn it back on!
    Do you have access to my email address? If so, use that and I'll share
    the info. DDD
  8. Estherfromjerusalem

    Estherfromjerusalem Well-Known Member

    Thank you all -- you are all very kind, and the response is far greater than I had dared to anticipate. I won't hold my breath, but I hope that maybe something will come out of someone's contacts, and I am grateful to you all for being prepared to think about it.

    DDD, I haven't got your e-mail address, so I will post mine here: [email protected]

    Love, Esther
  9. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    I "think" I just sent you a PM. At least after I clicked "enable" it seemed to head to Israel......lol. Let me know if you don't get it and I'll email you. Hugs. DDD
  10. Estherfromjerusalem

    Estherfromjerusalem Well-Known Member

    DDD -- you DID send a PM, and yes, it DID head for Israel. I got it and have already passed on the information.

    Many thanks,

    Love, Esther
  11. Stella Johnson

    Stella Johnson Active Member

    I hope you are able to find someone but as I found out when I had my appendix out and the doctors stopped my heart... it is VERY hard to get any doctor to testify against another one. Hopefully it will be easier for you since you are in another country.

    How scary. I will keep your family in our prayers.
  12. judi

    judi Active Member

    Hi Esther - so sorry for this. Best bet would be to contact have your lawyer contact a lawyer in the US and have them find a medical expert. Here in the US, its called "interventional radiology." It is a growing sub-specialty. However, many of our physicians are loathe to testify against each other also. I would also imagine that with international boundaries to be crossed, the difficulty goes up.

    I am very sorry that this happened.
  13. Esther,

    I'm just so sorry to hear about your daughter's medical experiences. We almost lost our son five years ago due to a hospital borne infection - so I can definitely relate. My brother in law is a nuclear radiologist practicing in Chicago. He would never, ever testify in a malpractice suit. Most docs just stick together this way, because they know that they could easily be the one being sued....

    That being said, I think that Judi's idea is an excellent one. There are physicians here who make a practice solely of testifying in court. A good attorney here would be able to make suggestions of folks to contact.

    We made the decision several years ago to not pursue our son's treatment legally. Instead, we are involved in a group that is attempting to get legislation passed to require hospitals here in the US to "clean up their act". It's just so important to us that others don't have to go through the experience we had - and this seems to be a good way (for us) to make that happen.