Major update

toughlovin

Hi everyone, ok so most of you know a couple of years ago my son skipped town and moved across country to avoid some arrest warrants for violating probation. He has bouncing around since then between rehabs and trying to work etc. about 3 weeks ago he called and said he was sick of being on the run and was thinking of coming back and turning himself in and doing his time! Wow this was huge. So we helped him to take Amtrak back which took 4 days. He stayed with some friends, stayed with us, went to the dentist to get 14 cavities filled and then turned himself in on Wednesday!

It has been interesting because in many ways having him here was healing. He is not sober which definitely worries me but I am in the place that that is his problem. It was very stressful waiting until he did turn himself in because we had no idea how much time he would get

In the end he got a gift and only got about 3.5 months and then it will be behind him. I am relieved and a bit concerned about what he does when he gets out.

worried sick mother

Wow!!! This is major! Hopefully he is ready for a change and being locked up 3.5 months will be a wake up call. Try not to worry about when he gets out, focus on the peace you have right now. 14 cavities??? Sounds like my son and my husband is a dentist, free dental care . Drugs are hard on the teeth.

lovemysons

TL,
I am so pleased that your son is TAKING RESPONSIBILITY. That is huge!!! I hope this is is the beginning of seeing himself as a grown man who is doing "the next right thing". Maybe someday my son will do the same.

Hugs,
LMS

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
Good news...and 3.5 months..that's sober time!

We had the cavity experience too....

toughlovin

He is full of surprises both good and bad. I wish he was committed to being sober which he is not but he does want to turn his life around which is a start. My daughter is doing well and is not living at home now so we feel at this point we need to support him. The challenge will be when he gets out is supporting and at the same time setting appropriate boundaries so that we can live our lives too

Nancy

That is huge news TL. Well he will be sober for 3.5 months now won't he? Hopefully he can find a job when he gets out and start living a normal life. My daughter is not sober either but she has found a way to keep it in check, at least for now.

toughlovin

Yes and a friend of his who he met in a program who came to court with him and has turned his life around said he will have a job for him when he gets out so hopefully that will work out.