Military Camp /or/ CSTP

LosingitMom

Has anyone ever sent their child to CSTP in Arkansas or to a military boot camp? My son is 13 and we are considering having him court ordered to a boot camp for two and a half months for his behavior. This is a last straw approach for his DMDD. I am very apprehensive about sending him to this boot camp, but I feel more comfortable with it than a behavioral hospital.

If anyone has any suggestions or has ever been to CSTP please let me know. Thank you.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
I do not have any experience as I am Canadian and we can not mandate such options in my province.
I wish you well in your choice. I am so sorry you are going through this difficulty. Please know you are not alone.

BusynMember

Your son has a psychiatric illness. No military or boot camp will change him. In fact they will send him home if he can't or won't conform.

This is really about what will best help your child, not what makes you feel comfortable, no offense meant. He needs psychiatric care, not boot camp. That could ruin your relationship forever without helping him. It could make him worse.

Does he see a psychiatrist and psychologist and what are your goals for his treatment? Is he dangerous? I'd go with behavioral help if so. He is pretty young to send away yet some kids are dangerous to the family so I get it...but it is hard to give any good feedback without knowing something about his story.

LosingitMom

Your son has a psychiatric illness. No military or boot camp will change him. In fact they will send him home if he can't or won't conform.

This is really about what will best help your child, not what makes you feel comfortable, no offense meant. He needs psychiatric care, not boot camp. That could ruin your relationship forever without helping him. It could make him worse.

Does he see a psychiatrist and psychologist and what are your goals for his treatment? Is he dangerous? I'd go with behavioral help if so. He is pretty young to send away yet some kids are dangerous to the family so I get it...but it is hard to give any good feedback without knowing something about his story.

My son does see a therapists and a psychiatrist. We are in fact on our 9th therapists. He has spent 28 days in a research facility. We have had him evaluated 3 times. He has been diagnosed with PTSD, ADHD, ODD, DMDD and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). We are now trying a natural approach to try and help his aggression. So far this has not worked. He has recently tried to hurt my dog and we already had to give our kitten away because I found him beating it. His aggression goes from 0 to 90 in less than a second. My husband and I are at a loss.

Do you have any help you can offer? Thank you

Triedntrue

Has anyone mentioned an explosive disorder? It was something that was discussed with my son because he would get so angry so fast without a cause anyone else could understand. As your son has many diagnosis .i don't know if another would help but possibly if he has been misdiagnosed a different medicine might work. I am certainly not a doctor or qualified to diagnose.
I am so sorry you are going through this with your son. I know how hard it is to fear your child. I do not know anything about boot camps but i am not sure they are designed to handle kids with the kind of issues you have described. If you do use one i would make sure they have people who are trained to handle your son and that you inform them of his issues so there is no liability issues. Someone mentioned that there were boarding schools that took troubled kids. Does anyone know anything about them? I will pray that you are able to find the best solution.

LosingitMom

Has anyone mentioned an explosive disorder? It was something that was discussed with my son because he would get so angry so fast without a cause anyone else could understand. As your son has many diagnosis .i don't know if another would help but possibly if he has been misdiagnosed a different medicine might work. I am certainly not a doctor or qualified to diagnose.
I am so sorry you are going through this with your son. I know how hard it is to fear your child. I do not know anything about boot camps but i am not sure they are designed to handle kids with the kind of issues you have described. If you do use one i would make sure they have people who are trained to handle your son and that you inform them of his issues so there is no liability issues. Someone mentioned that there were boarding schools that took troubled kids. Does anyone know anything about them? I will pray that you are able to find the best solution.

No one has mentioned explosive disorder. I will look this up and discuss with his therapists. Thank you for the kind thoughts.

BusynMember

If he hurts animals that is serious. You need to get your dog to a new home. We adopted a child who was like your son and he killed two dogs...do not take a chance. Did you have other kids?
.I think residential treatment may help

I am so sorry. Hugs and live.