More about Project Pooch...

witzend

Some of you asked how you might get programs like Project Pooch started in your area to help with incarcerated youth. Here are a couple of links. One is to Joan Dalton's (founder) website and she gives information on private consultations.

http://www.joandalton.com/

I spoke with one of the volunteers today, and Joan is planning another "Pooch 101 Workshop" this June. This is a link to a page on the Project Pooch website that gives a brief description of the workshop, and gives details about how to be notified regarding the particulars of the June '10 workshop. Of course, if any of you show up, you know where you'll be staying...

(Here's what one of the boys in the program has to say about Project Pooch. It makes me cry...)

"It used to be that dogs were, to me, just like any other animal. But, with POOCH, they became something special in my life. Some of them were bad dogs that came here. Just like me. I was a bad person in my community. But now I teach the dogs to be good dogs so they can go to a new home, and it makes me feel really good when I see my dog take off for a new home. I can see he's happy with his new family.

My life has changed a lot because of helping the dogs. They're helping me at the same time I'm helping them. I used to be a troublemaker before I started working in this program, but now that I know that there's someone up there in the kennel waiting for me, I choose to take care of business so I can be with my dog all day. I became a responsible person because I know that my dog depends on me.

Everybody deserves a second chance. We give that chance to dogs that need it."

Last edited: