My Furbuddy is Gone

meowbunny

I've had an Old English for 19 years. Awfully old for his breed but my bestest in the world furbuddy. I saw him being born. Heck, I was the one who "caught" him and gave him to his momma to clean.

I trained that dog. He never had a lead on, obeyed totally from hand and voice commands. If my daughter and I were fighting, he would herd us together -- hard to yell at each other when inches away. We'd usually end of laughing.

The cats thought he was their personal pillow. If he was on the bed sprawled out, one would sleep on his side, the other between his paws and Bo would just kind a stare at him and then cuddle up to me. On the floor in a ball and at least two of the girls would be sleeping on him somewhere.

He'd been going downhill the last two years. He had arthritis, bone spurs, almost totally deaf, blind in one eye, but he wasn't in major pain. In the last six months, I would have to help him more and more. He couldn't jump on the bed or use the stairs I'd made for him anymore, so I'd lift him up. Same with getting in the car. That's okay, old age isn't the end of the world and he was OLD.

The last two weeks it was obvious his time was coming. He had to be helped to stand up, breathing was getting heavier, the whole nine yards. I probably waited a day or two too long but I wanted him to go when a friend of mine was working as the vet. I took Squeaks (he only deep-throated barked when he was protecting me -- otherwise he literally squeaked) in Friday morning.

My bestest buddy is gone. I miss him soooo much. I'm not a crier but I can't quit tearing up. I miss him more than I've ever missed anyone in my life except my dad. I've read the Rainbow Bridge over and over. Right now, it is zero comfort. I know Squeaks is in a better, happier place. Heck, he was always the happy dog, always smiling, wagging his whole behind -- usually up to his waist. Whoever is watching over him now will be smiling a lot. You can't help but smile around my big lug.

donna723

MB, I'm so sorry you lost your friend. It's amazing that one of that breed lived to be 19 years old - you must have taken wonderful care of him.

We had one for a while when the kids were little and he was a great family dog, a real clown. I still have pictures of him sledding down a snowy hillside with the kids, having as much fun as they did!

Sara PA

I am so sorry. It doesn't matter how old he was, how far downhill he had gone in the past years, how much you knew this day would come.......it still hurts beyond belief. (((Hugs)))

klmno

I'm so sorry for your loss. Knowing that he had a long healthy life and you made him just as happy as he made you probably doesn't make it any less painful right now, but I hope the day comes quickly when those memories make you smile again.

MB,

I'm so very sorry!!! Just reading your post made my eyes teary. I remember not too long ago, you told me a bit about Squeaks - I think it was in a Good Morning thread when I had mentioned my "favorite sanity saver." I know how much you loved him!!!

I wish there was something I could do to ease the heartbreak you're going through, but, unfortunately, I know there is nothing anyone can do to make you feel any better right now. In time, hopefully, all of the precious memories will bring smiles instead of tears...

As I've suggested to others, it might help to make a collage of pictures of Squeaks, frame it, and hang it in a special place in your home. Doing this has helped me in the past.

Please know that I'm thinking of you... Sending lots of hugs... WFEN

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'm so sorry for your loss. He must have been an extra special buddy, cause he got to stay for an extra long time.

Hugs to you for your hurting heart.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Awww...MB, I'm so sorry. Nineteen years is a LONG relationship. Heck, it's more than most marriages!! It sounds like he was dearly loved, and he dearly loved you.

Hugs.

Abbey

F

flutterbee

(((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))

It really s*cks that they have to get old. I'm so sorry.

susiestar

Roll With It
Aw, MB, I am crying with you. It is so obvious he was loved, and was loving through his entire life. That makes it so sad for you that he passed away.

I am so sorry.

Lots of hugs,

Susie

TerryJ2

Ohhhh, I'm so sorry. been there done that. It is so hard.
He was old. Very old. That's a good thing, and proof of what a good mom you were. Such a great partnership and friendship is always a treasure.
{{Major hugs.}}

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I posted earlier, but I think it vanished. Sorry for the loss of your "Bo".....After nineteen years together I can only imagine your feelings...... I too have a large breed dog and he's eight, but thankfully in good health.......I can't imagine not seeing his gleeful bounce of joy when I put his food out.....Relish the memories you have of him and hoping time will ease your loss.....thinking of you and sending peace.....

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
{{{meowbunny}}} I'm so sorry you lost your bestest guy. Sounds like you have lots of memories to draw on in the next few weeks - I hope they are a comfort to you. I learned this morning that my best friend's dog of 14 years passed away also. Sad times.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm so sorry, MB. There really aren't any words of comfort for this sad moment. It's just terrible.

Hugs,
Suz