Nar-Anon

LauraH

About a year ago I found out about a Nar-Anon chapter, which I had never heard of before, literally up the street from my apartment building. I went one time, but didn't go back, probably because my son was in Chicago at the time (I'm in Florida) and his addiction wasn't in my face on a daily basis.

I went back last week and again today, and I plan to go every week for as long as I need to. One couple said they have been coming for over five years. It's a large group, mostly or all parents, except for one guy whose wife got addicted to her prescription medications. Children ranging from early teens to mid-40s. Everyone at different stages in their process of dealing with their loved one's addiction.

Sometimes the anonymity of this forum is exactly what I need, but it's also nice to have face to face interaction and hugs when you need them. If you haven't tried Nar-Anon, I strongly urge you to do so. Those people, just like the people in this forum, understand exactly what you're going through and you can say things you may not be able to tell your own family, without fear of judgment.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Agree with doing whatever works best for you! We all need support and it does feel good to know "I am not alone".

ksm

Our small town only has one al-anon group and no Nar-anon. So I attend al-anon because of adopted granddaughter substance abuse. It will be two years in June. We are about split between spouses/partners and parents.

I find it helpful also, for dealing with other DGDs mood disorder, now considered bipolar. Because, I can't control either of them. And they aren't ready for taking responsibility for improving their lives and relationships.

Ksm