Newbie with 10 yo son with real issues, scared and worried.

SRL

Welcome. When nothing seems to be working and the diagnosis can be questioned, I always think it's a good idea to get a thorough evaluation from a pediatric neuropsychologist. Reports from parents here have shown that while sometimes psychiatrists get it right, other times they are really off base because they focus primarily on current behaviors and jump into medications as opposed to doing a thorough evaluation starting, including early developmental history.

I had a child who had a bad reaction to Zoloft when given for severe anxiety--within two weeks he was out of control and it took months for his behavior to return to baseline. It's a great medication for those it works well for but for those it doesn't, it causes big time problems.

AK0603

Newest update: I called the school this AM to let them know of the problems we had this weekend to keep an extra eye/ear on him today. They called at noon, he just picked up and left the classroom and was missing for 1/2 hour. They were ready to call police when someone found him in the libary checking out 2 books!!! WHAT? Geese, it gets worse and worse.

And instead of saying, I was wrong, i shouldn't have left he said well i hate school and the kids are mean to me (they were not) and now he's home and treating me and his little sister horribly, like we did something wrong to him. And he had the nerve to ask to go to his favorite video game store since "he's got a 1/2 day off school"

I really am losing it.

Sara PA

Really, the behavior you describe is pretty common for kids on antidepressants. As part of the mania, they lack impulse control and begin to misperceive interpersonal relationships. They become paranoid and angry. Many of us have been though this. One mother in describing her child on Strattera said the child was "just plain nasty". That sums it up.

dreamer

another perspective is----the other kids really MIGHT be being mean to him......(or it could be his perception, but then that would stilll be HIS reality)

HHow certain are you about how classmates etc are treating him? ARe you getting the teachers word? other kids word? your own personal observations?

Sometimes teachers are not privy to what is really going on between kids. It really is not that far out there to move yourself away rom a situation that is not good in your own eyes. our culture often tells people to step away, leave etc when we are not being treated "properly"

Liahona

Just a thought about the desire to send him to bio-dads; my ex and yours sound alike. Both bipolar, both abusive, and both saying nothing is wrong with the kid or themselves. My goal for my son is that he grow into someone who can have a happy family if he chooses to do so. I'm working as hard as I can now so that we'll find medications that work and get his mood stable enough that he won't turn into his dad. I understand the feelings of wanting to get rid of him though. Having a kid like this is tough. Another thought; to keep my others kids safe from him difficult child 1 would have to be my shadow. This ment he had to be in my line of sight at all times. He has gotten less agressive so we don't have to do this as much now, but there are still days where he would really hurt his brothers if we didn't. I would also take all the babies into the bathroom with me. Its sad but I trust my 2 year old more with the 1 year old than I do the 6 year old.

Also, my son started hearing voices after being on Zoloft for 3 months. Sometimes the sideffects take awhile to happen.

TerryJ2

Oh, Amy... so sorry.
It's kind of funny that he was checking out books--which is an acceptable behavior--although he was doing it in an unacceptable manner. Sigh.
I agree with-everyone here about making sure the psychiatric doesn't blow off the possibility of side effects or opposite reactions from the medications.
Good luck!

Marguerite

About other kids being mean - ALL kids at 10 reckon all the other kids are mean. And sometimes they are. I used to find that other kids were the most accurate observers. difficult child 3 was having a far worse time of it than his teachers would admit to me. Even his aide, who was a lovely lady very much on difficult child 3's side, was 'muzzled' by the school and has STILL not told me what was going on, although I believe she's talked to others in broad terms. Sometimes the teachers don't see what is happening; sometimes they choose to not see; sometimes they live by the belief that if they leave t he kids to sort it our for themselves that it s the best option of all. And it's not.

Kids have it drummed into them pretty solidly that they have to be in school and follow the rules. A kid taking himself out of that, especially if you suspect Asperger's, is highly likely to be a bullied kid. Even if it's just his perception, his feelings are very real and he's trying to save himself from the incredible burden of emotional pain and anxiety.

When we forced difficult child 3 to stay in school, instead of walking away from confrontation he began to hit the other kids. He was punished for this. We later have been finding out that a lot of his hitting was self-defence or retaliation. We were telling him one set of rules but exposing him to an environment which taught a conflicting set.

If you think he is Aspie, bear in mind that Aspies are not good at lying. They will try to say, "I didn't do it" when they did, but they're really not good at sustaining an alternate version of events. He may not be getting picked on, but in his mind he is. There are things that can be done - Sixth Sense program, for example. It can be a good start.

One of the first things you need to do is sit down and make a list - what is he good at? What does he need help with? What can he simply not help? Then follow through the logic of these lists - what does this mean for him? How will someone like this react in Situation A? B? Compare your theoretical extrapolation to the observed reality - how close are you? If you're still missing the mark there are other factors you haven't noted down. Dig and find them.

You are the person most in touch with your child's problems and abilities. Use the latter to help the former. I know there should be experts to do this for you, but they're generally not as effective as you can be. And from the sound of things, far more effective than his father is likely to be.

Go back and touch base with your aims for your son - what other ways can you use to get him to be a happy, functioning, independent adult? Current placement and management is a big struggle for you AND your son. probably for the school as well. can this be rectified? Or can you stop beating heads against walls and find a workable alternative?

It shouldn't have to be this hard. It's not fair on you, or your son. There must be an easier way - it's a matter of working out his needs then hunting around to find a way of meeting those needs as easily as possible.

I wish I could be more specific, but I'm too unfamiliar with your systems. If you were in Australia I know what I'd recommend. And I'M still learning, too!

Marg