Oh NO...They recalled Jamie back into the USMC!!!

Marg's Man

I can undertand your worries. Marg didn't know at the time but I was subject to being taken overseas if Vietnam had got any worse (from an Australian political viewpoint). It must be huge shock to think he may be called back after thinking that he was out of it.

I know you said that your son is in Government and may be eligible for exemption but if a recalled soldier HAS to to go will his job be held for him/her? What's the situation regarding other people's jobs?

Here a volunteer called up under such circumstances (it also applied when conscription was still in) cannot be sacked. Their job must be held available for their return (although the job can be filled by a temporary staff) or the employer faces severe penalties.

Let your son know you're worried for him but don't make it too hard if he has to go. He knows you want him back safe.
Marg Man's

Janet, I am scared and sorry for you.

I am also angry, and looking for room on Witz's soapbox.

If I get started, I'll end up with a Marg-length post. So I will just send my prayers and some juju to you, Janet. Oh, and hugs too.

DammitJanet

Thanks guys.

Yes we all knew the risks going in though I thought he was on a 4 year active and 2 year inactive but it turns out it is 4 years inactive. If it was only 2 I doubt they would call him up because his time would be up in June.

We all just kinda figured they wouldnt call him back because of his job in the Marines. He was a MP and what he ended up doing at the end was working in the Brig. Maybe they will use him there again. He was in charge.

skeeter

Janet - I'm sorry, and I hope for the best outcome.

I won't go into all my thinking on the military here - other than to say I'm counting the days until NF gets back "home" and hoping we don't tick off Iran.

SRL

Ladies, as you know we don't talk about politics here so let's keep this focused on supporting Janet and not on opinions about the war, polticians, and policies.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Janet, I'm out of town and just read your post. I haven't read the responses but I wanted to say thank you to your son and all the daughters and son's who willingly go into the military. I hope he doesn't go where there is danger but hope he gets something positive out of tour.

I know you are scared. I can only imagine the mother bear reaction to keep one's child safe. I'm sending you a hug and a sincere thank you to Jamie. You should be proud of him.

DammitJanet

I am proud of him...have always been proud of him and the choices he has made. It just has come as quite a shock because they attempted to get him to re-enlist when he got out by offering him a ton of money but he would have had to change his job to something really dangerous. I guess we got really complacent because he got such a plum location to do his 4 years. I always secretly thought that "someone" looked out for us because they knew my nerves could only take so much worry...lol.

He joined when Cory was sixteen so I had tons of drama going on.

We will have to handle it...no choice. We are extremely worried about his wife and the baby. With them just buying the house they dont live just across the hall from her mom anymore. I dont even want to go into the "what if's" with the whole situation.

donna723

Janet, I'm so sorry and I can only imagine how upset you must be, but also very proud of him at the same time.

I probably should know this already, but is it the Marines that are running the prison camps (?) in Guantanamo in Cuba? Maybe with his MP background, they will send him there instead? I have friends at work whose son was stationed there for a while. Much better than the alternative. Sending hugs.

DammitJanet

They have many different forces down in Gitmo. Im personally praying that if he does get sent off that it is either to Gitmo or even better...his last station up where he is living now.

I know that Im no different than any of the hundreds of thousand other parents who have kids serving. We just drew the lucky straw for 4 years and now it seems to have come back on us.

Marguerite

Fingers crossed for you, Janet. Here's hoping that they either change their minds, or post him somewhere near enough so he can go home at nights.

My father served in WWII, he was an older man with children (not that old at the time!) and because he was a family man, he was not right out the front, he was involved with training and supply. He did serve in New Guinea for a time (when it was really dangerous) but he was safe, he was rear echelon.

In contrast, my uncle (who was not 20 years old) served in the most dangerous and challenging places. And survived, despite many attempts by (mostly Japanese, some German) to take him out. I think he thrived on the danger - he was too young to really have fear replace adventure. It was later on that he realised how lucky he'd been.

Jamie has a family now. Plus he's already served. I'm hoping they will take that into account.

Marg

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
As someone very wise once said, "I am sitting on my lips"... regarding this topic...

But I am sending my support and thoughts out to you and your family... Janet! As if you don't have enough!!! There is not enough Calgon for you right now!!!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Janet, I'm not sure what to say, other than you and Jamie are in my prayers.

And Witz, I agree with you. I'm all for free speech, but what happened to supporting our leaders, too? We have way too many campaigns going around here...we picked our leaders, we either need to support them and their decisions, or pick better next time. I think we'll all pay for it one day...a long time ago, someone said "united we stand, divided we fall". Insightful fella.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Just thankful that there are those who choose to do this. I know...I am a coward. Don't know if I could. I've never struck a person in my 47 years of life. I couldn't imagine having to be in combat.

My uncle was a WWII 'survivor.' I barely knew him. He lasted about a year from coming home then committed suicide. The stories he told were horrific. War should not be in our vocabulary.

Hugs to your family and a safe return. And, I might say a safe world.

Abbey