Old-fashioned things you've done in your day...

AppleCori

I had to look up a couple of things.

We called the exosaucer a “walker” and I guess they are still used today, in an updated form.

Those beehive burners were mostly used in the Pacific Northwest, and I think they are banned now. I don’t think I ever saw one.

Pink Elephant

I had to look up a couple of things.

We called the exosaucer a “walker” and I guess they are still used today, in an updated form.

Those beehive burners were mostly used in the Pacific Northwest, and I think they are banned now. I don’t think I ever saw one.
You know, Apple, maybe they were called walkers now that you mention it. Been so long I can't really remember, but walker is sounding more and more right the more I think about it. :)

We had beehive burners all around, but none remain in operation now.

Pink Elephant

Apple. You are so right, not that I doubted you, just that it took me a few minutes to convince myself that they really were called "walkers". :)

What a great memory you have! :)

AppleCori

Apple. You are so right, not that I doubted you, just that it took me a few minutes to convince myself that they really were called "walkers". :)

What a great memory you have! :)

They are called both things, so you aren’t wrong. Probably regional variations.

Copabanana

Hi think a smoke gun in the USA must be a cap gun. And soother must be pacifier.

Changing tables are still commonly used I think.

Here the big ashtrays were in theatre lobbies, not homes.

There were uglier cars than the pacer and pinto. As soon as I can remember the names I will get back to you. Well. The AMC gremlin was not much of a looker.

Last edited:

BusynMember

I WISH it had been easy lol!

I worried no stop if my kids were happy and social and doing well in all areas. I worried about every little tear. I did not have it easy it was the diapers and stuff I didn't worry about. The emotional stuff was HUGE!

BusynMember

Walkers are banned now. Too many kids fell down stairs or something like that. My granddaughter had a bouncy chair but there were no walker's unless you found an old one. When I worked at Goodwill we were not allowed to take walker donations.

A lot of the things that we're once used were found not to be safe so they are no longer favored or even made. The world changes fast!

Pink Elephant

Hi think smoke gunning USA is cap gun. And soother must be pacifier.

Changing tables are still commonly used I think.

Here the big ashtrays were in theatre lobbies, not homes.

There were uglier cars than the pacer and pinto. As soon as I can remember the names I will get back to you. Well. The AMC gremlin was not much of a looker.
Never heard of "smoke gunning" before, but then again I'm not American.

You're right, changing tables are still used, probably more so than ever compared to back in the day, but the old ones were sure a safety hazard. Such wobbly and unstable things they were.

Yes, theatre lobbies and homes, at least in my neck of the woods they were. :)

Yes, on the soother/pacifier thing. I've always called them soothers.

Agree, the Gremlin was one ugly duckling as well. LOL!

Pink Elephant

I WISH it had been easy lol!

I worried no stop if my kids were happy and social and doing well in all areas. I worried about every little tear. I did not have it easy it was the diapers and stuff I didn't worry about. The emotional stuff was HUGE!
I agree, I remember going through nervous pangs when my kids were younger and growing and gaining their independence. So hard to let go (even a little) so they can start enjoying freedom, as limited as it was in the beginning.

Copabanana

I meant to type what you did OH smoke gun.

What we had is a cap gun. A gun that makes noise and smoke. They may not be sold anymore. This was the 50s.

Actually, I like the amc gremlin. I take it back.

Pink Elephant

Walkers are banned now. Too many kids fell down stairs or something like that. My granddaughter had a bouncy chair but there were no walker's unless you found an old one. When I worked at Goodwill we were not allowed to take walker donations.

A lot of the things that we're once used were found not to be safe so they are no longer favored or even made. The world changes fast!
Yes, that's what I remember about walkers, kids taking tumbles down stairs. Goodness, does that ever sound scary. Glad they're banned.

Baby sibs had Jolly Jumper. It hung from the door-jam, and allowed little ones to bounce up and down. Sure kept them entertained.

I believe the same sort of restrictions apply for drop-side cribs now. Can't sell them legally, not even used.

Pink Elephant

I meant to type what you did OH smoke gun.

What we has is a cap gun. A gun that makes noise and smoke. They may not be sold anymore. This was 50s.
No worries, Copa. The gun my brother had made a loud pop sound and emitting a puff of smoke from the barrel.

So many toys of yesteryear that can't be found anymore today.

Pink Elephant

I did not know about drop sided cribs. What do they use instead?
Apparently cribs are now restricted to fixed-side, where the railing remains in the up position all the time. No option to raise and lower it when needed.

I can't imagine lifting a 2 y/o child in and out of his or her baby crib without the aid of a drop-side railing.

I love the old drop-sided cribs. Worked so well for lifting child in and out, for dressing and changing, and for general bed-making.

BusynMember

You are right. There is no option. I believe this was because the babies were pushing them.down and there were too many accidents. My granddaughter is big for her age and it really wasn't hard to just lift her out of her crib. They also have toddler beds now. She had both.

Lil

They are called both things, so you aren’t wrong. Probably regional variations.

Actually, walkers were a common name for the type with wheels. Exersaucers are the type that don't move around. You just put baby in the middle and they can bounce around and turn in a circle and there's usually activities all around. They still make them. Walkers were banned - but my son had one in 95. We got it used though (and didn't have any stairs).

Win an Evenflo ExerSaucer Bounce & Learn (Giveaway) | amotherworld

Hi think a smoke gun in the USA must be a cap gun. And soother must be pacifier.
The gun my brother had made a loud pop sound and emitting a puff of smoke from the barrel.

Yep, those were the same things. They took these little rolls of paper with dots of something like gun powder one them and as the roll went thru the hammer would make a bang and smoke. Later they had little disks like that. My brother had them.

Baby sibs had Jolly Jumper. It hung from the door-jam, and allowed little ones to bounce up and down. Sure kept them entertained.

My son had one too! It was called a Johnny-Jump-Up. It was like a bungie thing with a harness/seat that hung to the door frame. He loved it!

What you called a soother, we called a binkie. But they're all called pacifiers. :)

My first car - that was MINE not a hand-me-down from my mother to my brother to me - was a pinto wagon. His name was Floyd. (Yes, I name many inanimate objects. LOL)

Pink Elephant

You are right. There is no option. I believe this was because the babies were pushing them.down and there were too many accidents. My granddaughter is big for her age and it really wasn't hard to just lift her out of her crib. They also have toddler beds now. She had both.
I think for a busy mom lifting babies in and out of cribs all day long, reaching in and over the railing to change diapers and dress little ones, and just general overall ease of use, the drop-sided versions couldn't be beat.