Old-fashioned things you've done in your day...

Pink Elephant

Actually, walkers were a common name for the type with wheels. Exersaucers are the type that don't move around. You just put baby in the middle and they can bounce around and turn in a circle and there's usually activities all around. They still make them. Walkers were banned - but my son had one in 95. We got it used though (and didn't have any stairs).

Win an Evenflo ExerSaucer Bounce & Learn (Giveaway) | amotherworld

Yep, those were the same things. They took these little rolls of paper with dots of something like gun powder one them and as the roll went thru the hammer would make a bang and smoke. Later they had little disks like that. My brother had them.

My son had one too! It was called a Johnny-Jump-Up. It was like a bungie thing with a harness/seat that hung to the door frame. He loved it!

What you called a soother, we called a binkie. But they're all called pacifiers. :)

My first car - that was MINE not a hand-me-down from my mother to my brother to me - was a pinto wagon. His name was Floyd. (Yes, I name many inanimate objects. LOL)
The smoke gun my brother had didn't utilize caps or anything, just work the lever and pull the trigger, but the cap guns you speak of, I know those, too, as my boys had them. Also ones with little red cap cylinders.

Yes, just like a bungee type seat! That was it!

I tend to think the soother, vs the pacifier, vs the binkie thing, is like the whole rubber pants vs plastic pants thing. Everyone seems to have their own name for whatever baby thing it is that they're using.

LOL, about you naming things you have owned and currently own in your life! I've never done that but love the idea behind it! :)

Lil

The smoke gun my brother had didn't utilize caps or anything, just work the lever and pull the trigger

Then how did it smoke? It had to have some sort of "fuel". Maybe like electric trains you put some kind of oil in it? You have piqued my curiosity.

Pink Elephant

Then how did it smoke? It had to have some sort of "fuel". Maybe like electric trains you put some kind of oil in it? You have piqued my curiosity.
That's a good question Lil. I have no idea, but it did. Some sort of piston or cylinder inside that made noise I guess, and as far as the smoke, that's another mystery.

Baby brothers didn't have a cork or anything. I've tried finding one by doing a search and nothing comes up, aside from a few cork guns and cap guns, etc.

Okay, just found one! "Shoots harmless smoke and noise"... and did it ever! LOL!

Last edited:

AppleCori

I may not have a lot of time today, as hubby is doing stuff from home today, but, yes, I remember the walkers had wheels. Duh, why else would they call them walkers? I just didn’t make the connection....

I had two of those Johnny Jumpers (or whatever they were called). I had one on each door frame in the kitchen when my twins were babies. They loved them, and it helped to keep them entertained when I was cooking. My son didn’t like it at all, and I didn’t get one for my youngest, who was never content to be in a seat of any kind.

Pink Elephant

I may not have a lot of time today, as hubby is doing stuff from home today, but, yes, I remember the walkers had wheels. Duh, why else would they call them walkers? I just didn’t make the connection....

I had two of those Johnny Jumpers (or whatever they were called). I had one on each door frame in the kitchen when my twins were babies. They loved them, and it helped to keep them entertained when I was cooking. My son didn’t like it at all, and I didn’t get one for my youngest, who was never content to be in a seat of any kind.
No worries, Apple, always enjoy your time so much when you can be here, and I know all about busy days. :)

Yes, the one we had was called, Jolly Jumper, probably the exact same as the Johnny Jumper.

Lil

Huh.

I have no idea how that would even smoke. I found one for sale (or sold) on eBay and I says it doesn't use caps or co2 or bb's. But it doesn't say how it smoked. I can't get on any sites that talk about the guns because my stupid government IT system categorizes it as "weapons" and blocks it. (Yes, I am posting on the state's dime.:cautious:)

Pink Elephant

Huh.

I have no idea how that would even smoke. I found one for sale (or sold) on eBay and I says it doesn't use caps or co2 or bb's. But it doesn't say how it smoked. I can't get on any sites that talk about the guns because my stupid government IT system categorizes it as "weapons" and blocks it. (Yes, I am posting on the state's dime.:cautious:)
Some of the neatest toys (ever) were made back in the 60's/70's.

LOL! I know, how in the world it smoked is beyond me, but it did. :)

BusynMember

My granddaughter was not in her crib except for night and nap. No playpen either. She was free to explore and be free. I did that too. The playpen barely got use. Granddaughter didn't have one and she is a really curious, smart girl.

I think some things that are better for Mom are not best for the kid. And if babies are getting hurt.....it is best to ban. Now this one daughter. Mom of grand is my only pristine housekeeper. Even with a busy child her house is clean.

Grand loves to help and follows her around and they do everything together. She even loves to help my daughter change the water for their two big aquariums! This takes hours to do it the right way. My daughter has passed on her love of fish and reptiles to my grand.
Of course it is easier with one child and I am thinking she will stay an only child.

Pink Elephant

My granddaughter was not in her crib except for night and nap. No playpen either. She was free to explore and be free. I did that too. The playpen barely got use. Granddaughter didn't have one and she is a really curious, smart girl.

I think some things that are better for Mom are not best for the kid. And if babies are getting hurt.....it is best to ban. Now this one daughter. Mom of grand is my only pristine housekeeper. Even with a busy child her house is clean.

Grand loves to help and follows her around and they do everything together. She even loves to help my daughter change the water for their two big aquariums! This takes hours to do it the right way. My daughter has passed on her love of fish and reptiles to my grand.
Of course it is easier with one child and I am thinking she will stay an only child.
I'm such an old-fashioned mom, that there's just no way I can believe drop-side cribs were so dangerous. Gee-wiz, me and my sibs had one, every kid I ever babysat used one, baby cousins, along with nieces and nephews all had drop-sided cribs, and I'll bet every single one of our neighbours (back in the day) were using one or more in their homes.

So traditionally and timey... the way the railing squeaked when you raised and lowered it.

I was more tightly wound in the freedom department when my kids were babies. When I was busy I liked them in their cribs or playpen, or in a room where I could close the door to secure them in.

Pink Elephant

SOT. I remember in the 70's, seeing dozens upon dozens of baby playpens in the park. Moms would find a shady spot under one of the big leafy trees, unfold their playpens, stick their babies inside, and out would come their books and cigarettes.

Pink Elephant

Let's not forget about the little button on the floors of vehicles, just to the left of the gas and brake pedals, where you had to depress it to get low or high beams.

BusynMember

But, Pink, you and I lived in totally different environments. Remember that.

I went to high school in the 70s and had my first in 77. I took him to the park almost every day. This was in or near Chicago, IL so large populations and some very crowded parks. In my experience during the same time period nobody brought a playpen. The kids were all in the sand box or sliding or climbing or swinging. The infants with older siblings would stay in their strollers or Mom would hold them and bounce them. I remember one pregnant lady who already had a young girl and TRIPLET infants!! She would keep the littles in the stroller while her older girl ran around. Because she was Orthodox Jewish she hauled these kids around wearing a scarf over her head, long sleeves and a longer skirt and hose in the middle of July! Hot!

I felt sorry for her!

Nobody ever smoked in our parks.

Pink, I think we just lived in very different types of cultures, one not better or worse than the other...just different. Different ways of doing things. Different values. Different cultures. Where I lived Jewish culture was very prevalant as were other ethnicities and religions...Irish, Polish Italian, lots of Catholics.

The socio economic and academic culture I grew up in was wealthy to middle class. I didn't know poor people until I got older when I was poor...lol. . Where I now live, in a smaller more rural area, it is way different than the Chicago suburbs. I would not be surprised if this area was more like yours was. This is not a rich area or one that looks down at no college degree, as long as you work hard. I love it here. It is more like me then where I grew up. It is down home. It is friendly and chill.

By the time we moved here, Sonic was 4 and Jumper was 2. By then, the 90s I did not see playpens in parks and smoking was not done in parks anymore (even taverns ban smoking here now) but it may have been more like your home before the 90s. However, even up here, I did not see cloth diapers and very little hanging clothes out to dry, although some people do hang out mostly towels. One home we looked at while house hunting had a clothes line!

For a really interesting treat into the past it is always fun for us to drive through Amish country, which is close by. Now THAT is old fashion!

But you have to be careful of the horses and buggies! Do you have Amish near you?

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
That's interesting, SWOT.

Your growing up was very different from my early years. I was 12 when we moved to Highland Park.

Before that, I lived in a poor neighborhood in Chicago, that had been mostly Ashkenazi Jewish when I was born, but had changed by the time I was 5 to the point that it was known as "The Jungle"...really rough.

For me, the move was very rough. I was still a poor kid; in a very affluent suburb. I stuck out like a sore thumb. In addition to wearing coke-bottle bottom glasses and being extremely intelligent, which wasn't "in", I didn't wear the "right" shoes or clothing, have the "right" hair, or anything.

Plus, my mom worked, which alone was enough to make me an outcast. The other kids' dads were doctors and lawyers and VPs. My dad was a salesman and mom was a lower-level accountant. (She got her CPA when dad became unable to work and was denied disability)

I don't have fond memories of my childhood before I met husband, who was from a well-off family. (His mother, from similar roots as my family) adored me. His father, from very well off roots, couldn't stand me.

Moving in with-husband to be made being poor OK...and boy were we poor, LOL. It was quite the jolt for him, but I was used to it. I'd spent my childhood in a 3rd floor tenement. He learned about things like the steam coming up in the AM (and the boilers being shut down at night).

Pink Elephant

But, Pink, you and I lived in totally different environments. Remember that.

I went to high school in the 70s and had my first in 77. I took him to the park almost every day. This was in or near Chicago, IL so large populations and some very crowded parks. In my experience during the same time period nobody brought a playpen. The kids were all in the sand box or sliding or climbing or swinging. The infants with older siblings would stay in their strollers or Mom would hold them and bounce them. I remember one pregnant lady who already had a young girl and TRIPLET infants!! She would keep the littles in the stroller while her older girl ran around. Because she was Orthodox Jewish she hauled these kids around wearing a scarf over her head, long sleeves and a longer skirt and hose in the middle of July! Hot!

I felt sorry for her!

Nobody ever smoked in our parks.

Pink, I think we just lived in very different types of cultures, one not better or worse than the other...just different. Different ways of doing things. Different values. Different cultures. Where I lived Jewish culture was very prevalant as were other ethnicities and religions...Irish, Polish Italian, lots of Catholics.

The socio economic and academic culture I grew up in was wealthy to middle class. I didn't know poor people until I got older when I was poor...lol. . Where I now live, in a smaller more rural area, it is way different than the Chicago suburbs. I would not be surprised if this area was more like yours was. This is not a rich area or one that looks down at no college degree, as long as you work hard. I love it here. It is more like me then where I grew up. It is down home. It is friendly and chill.

By the time we moved here, Sonic was 4 and Jumper was 2. By then, the 90s I did not see playpens in parks and smoking was not done in parks anymore (even taverns ban smoking here now) but it may have been more like your home before the 90s. However, even up here, I did not see cloth diapers and very little hanging clothes out to dry, although some people do hang out mostly towels. One home we looked at while house hunting had a clothes line!

For a really interesting treat into the past it is always fun for us to drive through Amish country, which is close by. Now THAT is old fashion!

But you have to be careful of the horses and buggies! Do you have Amish near you?
I agree, SOT, we absolutely did experience two different environments from one another when we were younger and growing up.

Goodness, I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a single mothers name that I used to babysit for that didn't smoke, that's how high the smoking population was back in my day (where we lived).

As for playpens and things in parks and at the beach, we lived in a town with a high hippie population, so quite possibly that played a major role in how outings with babies and younger children happened.

I definitely remember Pampers babies, but cloth diapers were still king where we lived. Absolutely everyone used cloth diapers, safety pins, and rubber pants. Cloth was super-duper popular. All of the babysitting jobs I ever worked, cloth was the diaper of choice and all that was used. (One of the main reasons I diapered my own children in them). I remember only one or two homes that used a combination of both cloth and disposable.

Single income families were also par for the course at the time. Seldom (rarely) did you hear of a housewife or mom that worked. It was non-existent.

We have Mennonites that live just a hop, skip, and a jump away, but not locally, and a two hour drive from us is an actual Mennonite Community. You can buy bread, meat, and all sorts of garden-fresh vegetables from them.

Yes, smoking (here) is banned now, too, and almost everywhere, including the front of store-fronts, which I 100% support.

Sad to say, I don't see any new subdivisions where clothesline exist, but in older neighbourhoods like ours, traditional clotheslines can still be found, and in abundance, depending on what area it is, and many still use them.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

That's interesting, SWOT.

Your growing up was very different from my early years. I was 12 when we moved to Highland Park.

Before that, I lived in a poor neighborhood in Chicago, that had been mostly Ashkenazi Jewish when I was born, but had changed by the time I was 5 to the point that it was known as "The Jungle"...really rough.

For me, the move was very rough. I was still a poor kid; in a very affluent suburb. I stuck out like a sore thumb. In addition to wearing coke-bottle bottom glasses and being extremely intelligent, which wasn't "in", I didn't wear the "right" shoes or clothing, have the "right" hair, or anything.

Plus, my mom worked, which alone was enough to make me an outcast. The other kids' dads were doctors and lawyers and VPs. My dad was a salesman and mom was a lower-level accountant. (She got her CPA when dad became unable to work and was denied disability)

I don't have fond memories of my childhood before I met husband, who was from a well-off family. (His mother, from similar roots as my family) adored me. His father, from very well off roots, couldn't stand me.

Moving in with-husband to be made being poor OK...and boy were we poor, LOL. It was quite the jolt for him, but I was used to it. I'd spent my childhood in a 3rd floor tenement. He learned about things like the steam coming up in the AM (and the boilers being shut down at night).
Oh wow, very interesting hearing two separate perspectives related to. So very enjoyable reading both yours and SOT's perspectives. Thank you to both of you for taking the time to post about.

I have often thought about old school friends of mine (elementary school years) where they, too, resided in apartments and rental units. Must have been hard. No proper private years to play-in and enjoy, there would have been noise restrictions, which I can't imagine how challenging that in itself would be with little ones, and the list goes on.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
There weren't really noise restrictions like we have now. If you read about apartment life in the inner city in poorer areas, it was more like that.

It was crowded, noisy, very diverse, etc. It was before the clean air act.

Chicago back when I was a small child was filthy. I played in the alley between the buildings on our street and the buildings that backed on the Chicago Transit Authority Electric Train yards. Nearly all of the buildings were 3' story 6 flats built about 3' apart with bricked over "gangways" between them.

Most buildings had garbage chutes from each "porch" (each floor had a shared porch with steps in between, all of wood. We called them porches and stairs, but they were really fire escapes) and the garbage chute, basically a huge metal pipe, ran up the side of the building where the porch attached near the gangway to an enclosed, ground level area. One threw one's trash threw the opening in the chute, where it hopefully landed in the "bin" below.

Most buildings had been built in the late 1800's/very early 1900's. Many, like ours, had a garage which the landlord used, that had originally been designed to hold a carriage and 2-horses/equipment. Instead of "garage doors", it had huge, high, double-doors to allow for bringing out a tall carriage, and two horses harnessed together. The team and carriage would've been hitched out in front of what was then a stable. (At one time, East Rogers Park had been a very affluent area).

The asphalt mostly wore away to reveal the mutli-colored cobbles beneath. Police patrolled in pairs on foot, and we kids were terrifed of Officers Flynn and Kelly.

They were stereotypical Irish cops, who would catch misbehaving kids and administer a quick spanking.

Let's put it this way. I grew up in the 60's, but was able to identify with quite a few things in the book "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn", which I read as a child. (My mother was very liberal about my reading material.) I recommend this book. It, and "Maggie Now" were written in 1943 and I think, took place during the Depression.

Perhaps because of the place i grew up in, perhaps because I spent my formative years poor (never went hungry. My parents did. We kids never did. It was constant struggle to pay rent and keep the lights on, though.) And perhaps because my dad was born during that era and had those values, though without the physical violence as modern Jews don't usually engage in domestic violence. (what happens in ultra-Orthodox homes may be different) That includes striking their children.

BusynMember

GN, this is the difference right here

We moved from Chicago to a house in Lincolnwood when I was four. So it was never street "rough"but I got bullied very badly.

Although we were far from poor, the people we lived around were so rich that I was teased as poor. However my mom didn't work and we ate fine. We didn't lack any essentials. But my parents did not keep up the house to neighborhood standards and the clothes wore were way cheaper than that of my peers. I got teased for that but rebelled inside and to this day I refuse to wear clothes from high end stores. I have never bought from Macy's, for example, and I dislike any status symbols of any kind.

In high school I turned out pretty and it shouldn't have mattered but I was no longer teased and it mattered. Also one additional higher class (but not as much as Lincolnwood) town Morton Grove and one middle class suburb Niles joined our high school so it wasn't all RiCH rich. In fact the Niles kids pretended they were poor. And they would tussel with the rich preps. They weren't poor but some worked after school and the richer kids didnt so they acted like they were as poor as dirt. It was so ridiculous. They also beat up the drugged hippies, who were mostly rich kids who were breaking their parents hearts. I had a few friends only, ALL from Morton Grove. I never spoke to the Lincolnwood kids in high school since there were plenty of kids from other places.

Pink, there were hippies in my area but no playpens in our parks. Many hippies moved to California and joined communes. A hippie in my neighborhood basically meant ratty clothes, much drugs of all types, free sex for all and crying parents. I don't remember seeing hippies and their kids though. By the time I was a Mom, most people I met at the parks were just trying to be normal mom's.

GN, I can't imagine the extreme bullying of being poor in your suburb, which was considered more prestigious than Lincolnwood. Must have been a horrible experience. I can't even imagine. By high school the bullying of me had ceased. I had not only turned out pretty, but I had a gorgeous best friend with a big mouth who taught me how to shut up bullies.

It is very interesting to compare what our lives were like!

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

[/QUOTE]
There weren't really noise restrictions like we have now. If you read about apartment life in the inner city in poorer areas, it was more like that.

It was crowded, noisy, very diverse, etc. It was before the clean air act.

Chicago back when I was a small child was filthy. I played in the alley between the buildings on our street and the buildings that backed on the Chicago Transit Authority Electric Train yards. Nearly all of the buildings were 3' story 6 flats built about 3' apart with bricked over "gangways" between them.

Most buildings had garbage chutes from each "porch" (each floor had a shared porch with steps in between, all of wood. We called them porches and stairs, but they were really fire escapes) and the garbage chute, basically a huge metal pipe, ran up the side of the building where the porch attached near the gangway to an enclosed, ground level area. One threw one's trash threw the opening in the chute, where it hopefully landed in the "bin" below.

Most buildings had been built in the late 1800's/very early 1900's. Many, like ours, had a garage which the landlord used, that had originally been designed to hold a carriage and 2-horses/equipment. Instead of "garage doors", it had huge, high, double-doors to allow for bringing out a tall carriage, and two horses harnessed together. The team and carriage would've been hitched out in front of what was then a stable. (At one time, East Rogers Park had been a very affluent area).

The asphalt mostly wore away to reveal the mutli-colored cobbles beneath. Police patrolled in pairs on foot, and we kids were terrifed of Officers Flynn and Kelly.

They were stereotypical Irish cops, who would catch misbehaving kids and administer a quick spanking.

Let's put it this way. I grew up in the 60's, but was able to identify with quite a few things in the book "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn", which I read as a child. (My mother was very liberal about my reading material.) I recommend this book. It, and "Maggie Now" were written in 1943 and I think, took place during the Depression.

Perhaps because of the place i grew up in, perhaps because I spent my formative years poor (never went hungry. My parents did. We kids never did. It was constant struggle to pay rent and keep the lights on, though.) And perhaps because my dad was born during that era and had those values, though without the physical violence as modern Jews don't usually engage in domestic violence. (what happens in ultra-Orthodox homes may be different) That includes striking their children.
Very, very interesting. Just love reading about other people lives from the early years through to the later years, because it helps me associate with my own upbringing, and, helps me put into perspective many of the problems and experiences that faced me as a young child, even adult.

Just knowing I wasn't alone provides me with a sense of comfort, and possibly secures one of the main reasons behind why I am all about the past, rather than the future. My life consisted of more change when I was younger, more overall interest, whereas my later life when compared to my younger years seems more stagnant and uneventful.

Pink Elephant

GN, this is the difference right here

We moved from Chicago to a house in Lincolnwood when I was four. So it was never street "rough"but I got bullied very badly.

Although we were far from poor, the people we lived around were so rich that I was teased as poor. However my mom didn't work and we ate fine. We didn't lack any essentials. But my parents did not keep up the house to neighborhood standards and the clothes wore were way cheaper than that of my peers. I got teased for that but rebelled inside and to this day I refuse to wear clothes from high end stores. I have never bought from Macy's, for example, and I dislike any status symbols of any kind.

In high school I turned out pretty and it shouldn't have mattered but I was no longer teased and it mattered. Also one additional higher class (but not as much as Lincolnwood) town Morton Grove and one middle class suburb Niles joined our high school so it wasn't all RiCH rich. In fact the Niles kids pretended they were poor. And they would tussel with the rich preps. They weren't poor but some worked after school and the richer kids didnt so they acted like they were as poor as dirt. It was so ridiculous. They also beat up the drugged hippies, who were mostly rich kids who were breaking their parents hearts. I had a few friends only, ALL from Morton Grove. I never spoke to the Lincolnwood kids in high school since there were plenty of kids from other places.

Pink, there were hippies in my area but no playpens in our parks. Many hippies moved to California and joined communes. A hippie in my neighborhood basically meant ratty clothes, much drugs of all types, free sex for all and crying parents. I don't remember seeing hippies and their kids though. By the time I was a Mom, most people I met at the parks were just trying to be normal mom's.

GN, I can't imagine the extreme bullying of being poor in your suburb, which was considered more prestigious than Lincolnwood. Must have been a horrible experience. I can't even imagine. By high school the bullying of me had ceased. I had not only turned out pretty, but I had a gorgeous best friend with a big mouth who taught me how to shut up bullies.

It is very interesting to compare what our lives were like!
A big thanks to both you and GN, for writing about your past and the goings-ons.

My reply to GN, also applies to you, SOT.

Pink Elephant

In ode to all the old-fashioned babysitters of the past (moms, too), remember these? Snap-on rubber pants!

Oh, how I hated these rubber pants! Thankfully, most of the mothers I babysat for used regular pull-on rubber pants.

Nevertheless, between all of the folding and pinning that old-fashioned cloth diapers required, having to deal with rubber pants with snaps made for a royal pain in the you know what at change-time! LOL!

Last edited: