Old-fashioned things you've done in your day...

Pink Elephant

Have you ever hung laundry on an old-fashioned outdoor clothesline? Not an old fashioned one, but I have a clothesline I use.

Have you ever washed laundry in an old-fashioned wringer washing machine? Nope, that was before my time.

Have you ever changed an old-fashioned cloth diaper with safety pins and rubber pants? No

Have you ever given a spanking? Oh, yes

Have you ever washed floors on your hands-and-knees using a bucket and cloth? Yes, and I hate it.

Have you ever canned fruit and vegetables? Yes

Have you ever starched and ironed a shirt? Not starched, but I have ironed. Not recently, though.

Have you ever started a fire using two sticks? No, I don't camp. I refuse to sleep in dirt and poop behind a tree.
ROFLAO! I'm not a big fan of camping cowboy style either. I really have learned to embrace and love the modernity's of today.

One thing about washing floors by-hand, on one hands-and-knees, I find I get cleaner floors, because you can scrub baseboards and get right into all the corners with a cloth.

AppleCori

LOL, Apple. I used a bag, even a small pail, but found the cotton clothespin holder bag to be best. Wish I had an apron with a large front pocket like my grandma had. She'd load the pocket with clothespins and away she'd go. So handy.

Wow, a gazebo. Have always longed to have one, even a small version. Just love the ones where you have to climb a few stairs to get to, and it has to be white, with the fancy woodwork around the underside of the roof.

Yep, white with the woodworking and steps.

It must have been a beautiful wedding. There was nothing behind us, except a view of the mountains a few miles away.

I think it was that hubby thought he had a lighter in the truck, if I remember correctly. He smoked at that time.

Pink Elephant

Yep, white with the woodworking and steps.

It must have been a beautiful wedding. There was nothing behind us, except a view of the mountains a few miles away.

I think it was that hubby thought he had a lighter in the truck, if I remember correctly. He smoked at that time.
So beautiful sounding. I envy the view you get to enjoy.

Gee... speaking of lighters, remember cigarette lighters in cars? The ones you used to push in and when they were red-hot and ready they'd pop-out?

AppleCori

Camping in a cabin is my favorite, truthfully.

I can do the tent camping, and it is much cheaper, but sleeping with hubby on an air mattress is not fun.

I like modern plumbing, too.

Pink Elephant

Camping in a cabin is my favorite, truthfully.

I can do the tent camping, and it is much cheaper, but sleeping with hubby on an air mattress is not fun.

I like modern plumbing, too.
I agree. A cabin sort of still provides a sense of roughing it, but not as bad as sleeping on the ground, and with any luck the cabin has running water, or at best, a working toilet.

AppleCori

So beautiful sounding. I envy the view you get to enjoy.

Gee... speaking of lighters, remember cigarette lighters in cars? The ones you used to push in and when they were red-hot and ready they'd pop-out?

I don’t have that house anymore! We left there in the 90’s. I I’ve lived in a dozen or more places since then! Idid love living there, though.

Yes, I remember car lighters. I think they replaced them with phone chargers now.

Pink Elephant

I don’t have that house anymore! We left there in the 90’s. I I’ve lived in a dozen or more places since then! Idid love living there, though.

Yes, I remember car lighters. I think they replaced them with phone chargers now.
What a shame. So nice though that you were able to enjoy such a landscape. That's always been my dream, to own acreage.

I think you're right about lighters being replaced with USB Ports (or whatever they're called).

Pink Elephant

They do offer rough cabins without kitchens and bathrooms, but why?
I'm thinking to lend more of a sense that one is actually camping the old-fashioned way, or maybe it lends a sense that one is living the old-fashioned way.

All I know is, I'm one unhappy girl without running water or a toilet.

AppleCori

I'm thinking to lend more of a sense that one is actually camping the old-fashioned way, or maybe it lends a sense that one is living the old-fashioned way.

All I know is, I'm one unhappy girl without running water or a toilet.

I know that when a group of men go out fishing or hunting, they aren’t as picky about accommodations as we ladies tend to be. Of course, they have an easier time with some things than we ladies do.

We were driving across a deserted stretch of Utah a couple of years ago, and both hubby and I had to go potty. Guess which of us had to wait!

Pink Elephant

I know that when a group of men go out fishing or hunting, they aren’t as picky about accommodations as we ladies tend to be. Of course, they have an easier time with some things than we ladies do.

We were driving across a deserted stretch of Utah a couple of years ago, and both hubby and I had to go potty. Guess which of us had to wait!
Yes, you've got that right. LOL!

Oh... I know exactly who had to wait to go potty. Gosh, the comical stories I could tell related to travelling with my kids. Some funny, some not.

Pink Elephant

Have you ever given a spanking? Oh, yes
Breathing a sigh of relief over knowing I wasn't the only old-fashioned mom here.

I administered my first spanking while babysitting for a new family that had moved into our neighbourhood. Being old-fashioned as I was, my adage was, hand-down one good old-fashioned and proper spanking right at the very start, so everyone knows I mean business.

Last edited:

Lil

Fun Thread!

Have you ever hung laundry on an old-fashioned outdoor clothesline?

Yep, as a kid.

Have you ever washed laundry in an old-fashioned wringer washing machine?

Yep! Also as a kid. :) Mom had one.

Have you ever changed an old-fashioned cloth diaper with safety pins and rubber pants?

No!

Have you ever given a spanking?

Eh...not really. I can say I've given a swat...but not a "real" spanking. They really didn't work on my kid. Got a few though.

Have you ever washed floors on your hands-and-knees using a bucket and cloth?

Scrub brush...not a cloth.

Have you ever canned fruit and vegetables?

No, but I'd love to learn.

Have you ever starched and ironed a shirt?

I've used starch, and I sew, so I iron, but not a shirt. :)

Have you ever started a fire using two sticks

Why would anyone do this? There are matches, lighters, magnifying glasses...way more simple ways to start a fire than sticks. LOL

I've camped tons...and not the cowboy way - the medieval way. We have real furniture when we camp! I have done the sleeping bag on the ground thing - wow is it uncomfortable! So I've cooked over an open fire.

Has anyone here ever cooked on a wood stove? I haven't...but another thing I'd like to try.

I've milked a cow by hand and skimmed the cream and made butter. Has anyone done that?

I've also plucked a chicken.

Pink Elephant

Fun Thread!

Yep, as a kid.

Have you ever changed an old-fashioned cloth diaper with safety pins and rubber pants?

No!

Eh...not really. I can say I've given a swat...but not a "real" spanking. They really didn't work on my kid. Got a few though.

Why would anyone do this? There are matches, lighters, magnifying glasses...way more simple ways to start a fire than sticks. LOL

I've camped tons...and not the cowboy way - the medieval way. We have real furniture when we camp! I have done the sleeping bag on the ground thing - wow is it uncomfortable! So I've cooked over an open fire.

Has anyone here ever cooked on a wood stove? I haven't...but another thing I'd like to try.

I've milked a cow by hand and skimmed the cream and made butter. Has anyone done that?

ROFLAO, Lil, over why anyone would attempt to ignite a fire using two sticks. Only answer I have for you, is because I was impressionable. LOL! Watched one too many shows where it was done.

Canning is so easy and straight forward. You'll be able to pick it up so easy. My best advice to you would be to find someone that cans regularly, and have them walk you through a few of the details, and you'll be canning just like that.

I've never milked a cow or plucked feathers from a chicken, but I have been billy-goat head butted! LOL! Right on the bum! Didn't hurt, but it sure did surprise me. I think the little bugger was just playing.

AppleCori

Fun Thread!

Yep, as a kid.

No!

I haven’t milked any cows, but my hubby grew up on a dairy farm, so has has done this plenty of times!

I haven’t “cooked” on a wood stove, but I have heated stuff up or boiled water on one when we lived in Arizona. I often kept a pot of water on the wood stove to humidify the air, though, cause it was so dry there.

Pink Elephant

Have you ever used a drop-side baby crib before? Oh yes, always drop-sided cribs. Both in our home and the homes I babysat at. Cribs were always of the drop-sided variety, and usually white.

Pink Elephant

I haven’t milked any cows, but my hubby grew up on a dairy farm, so has has done this plenty of times!

I haven’t “cooked” on a wood stove, but I have heated stuff up or boiled water on one when we lived in Arizona. I often kept a pot of water on the wood stove to humidify the air, though, cause it was so dry there.
I've always had a love for farming animals. I'm not into the whole kill for eating thing, so my farm would be a hobby farm, where all of the animals would be my pets.

Yes, regarding keeping a kettle of water atop the wood stove, I remember adding cloves or cinnamon to the water to make the house smell good.

BusynMember

Honestly... Lol.

I think I lived on a different planet...lol.

I don't think I have seen a washboard in real life.

But, seriously, we are definitely going to get a pellet or wood stove in our new house. To me nothing is as cozy as a fire on a cool night. But we won't use it to cook.

Pink Elephant

Honestly... Lol.

I think I lived on a different planet...lol.

I don't think I have seen a washboard in real life.

But, seriously, we are definitely going to get a pellet or wood stove in our new house. To me nothing is as cozy as a fire on a cool night. But we won't use it to cook.
Oh my word, am I hearing things correctly, SOT? LOL! I've actually washed laundry using an old-fashioned glass-front washboard, and no, I'm not talking back in the 50's and 60's! ROFLAO!!

Yes, a real fire is the best. Love the smell and aura about it. So warm and homey.

P.S. Too bad you and I weren't neighbours back in the day, because I would have given you a proper introduction to all things old-fashioned in my home! LOL!