Old-fashioned things you've done in your day...

AppleCori

I often wear a cami and jeans or athletic wear pants to clean the house.

Then, when I cool off, I put my long-sleeved top or button-down shirt on over it.

Pink Elephant

I don’t think training pants are old-fashioned, though. I wasn’t really thinking about them earlier, but seeing the pics when I came back here made me realize that I used them, and I think they ate pretty standard practice even now. Pull-ups are good for certain times, but I recall them being too diaper-like for training purposes.

I might have used rubber pants over them occasionally.

My kids were pretty much ready to potty train when I started them, so it didn’t take too long.
I think the reason I think of cloth training pants as being old-fashioned, is because so many mothers nowadays use disposable pull-ups instead, even though the cloth ones are still around.

Cloth definitely equals discomfort when wet. My kids learned that early on, and it really kicked-in when got older.

Did you have early trainers, Apple?

Pink Elephant

by the way, this is from far back in the thread but I mop floors the regular way usually, but have been known to throw down a towel and wash soapy, sticky, frustrating floors with my feet. I thought I was the only one on earth who did this... lol! I call it The Towel Shuffle lol.

by the way, does anyone else do the housework in her underwear? I get hot so I tend to wear as few clothes as possible. My husband often does his share of the housework in his briefs (his chooice of underwear but we covered this important topic already).
LOL, SOT! Yep, I can see you doing such a thing.

Never clean house in my underpants, but do wear the bare minimum when the house is hot. Shorts and a tank-top are my standard.

Pink Elephant

Another old-fashioned thing I remember doing was keeping a spare pair of diaper pins fastened to either the front of my slacks, or near the waist of my blouse for emergencies.

AppleCori

I think the reason I think of cloth training pants as being old-fashioned, is because so many mothers nowadays use disposable pull-ups instead, even though the cloth ones are still around.

Cloth definitely equals discomfort when wet. My kids learned that early on, and it really kicked-in when got older.

Did you have early trainers, Apple?

I don’t think they were especially early.

My older girls were two or so, my son was probably three.

My youngest was night trained at a year or so, did that herself and would go on potty first thing in the morning, but didn’t care to use underwear until three, maybe close to four. Since she was my youngest, I didn’t care, so she started wearing undies when she was ready.

BusynMember

I didn't push potty training at all. Bart was 3, but he had an immature bladder and wet his bed to age 12. I didn't want to make a deal out of it to embarrass him so I just washed everything and didn't talk about it. There was no way it was on purpose. Princess was 3. Sonic, with his developmental delays with autism, was four and Jumper, who was always so mature and an old soul, had it figured out at 28 months. I didn't work on potty training. Figured when they were ready, they would be ready and they were.
My little ones did not keep their underwear on if they wet it. They just took it off and ran around nude so feeling uncomfortable didn't happen....hehe.

Pink Elephant

I don’t think they were especially early.

My older girls were two or so, my son was probably three.

My youngest was night trained at a year or so, did that herself and would go on potty first thing in the morning, but didn’t care to use underwear until three, maybe close to four. Since she was my youngest, I didn’t care, so she started wearing undies when she was ready.
Gosh... one year old, you did well. Such was not the case in our house. I was diapering well into the 3's, and youngest son wore diapers at night until age 4. I remember still changing him during the day at age 3-1/2. He was still in diapers fulltime (daytime and night). Used to change him on the floor in the bathroom.

Pink Elephant

I didn't push potty training at all. Bart was 3, but he had an immature bladder and wet his bed to age 12. I didn't want to make a deal out of it to embarrass him so I just washed everything and didn't talk about it. There was no way it was on purpose. Princess was 3. Sonic, with his developmental delays with autism, was four and Jumper, who was always so mature and an old soul, had it figured out at 28 months. I didn't work on potty training. Figured when they were ready, they would be ready and they were.
My little ones did not keep their underwear on if they wet it. They just took it off and ran around nude so feeling uncomfortable didn't happen....hehe.
You did well, too. That's probably the best way, making no fuss over accidents.

I started off with the notion that I was not going to be like a few of the mothers I babysat for, their kids still in diapers well into their 3's... but as the busy life of motherhood smacks you, getting your kid out of diapers early, holds less and less meaning to you on the scale of importance, with the arrival of each new kid.

Pink Elephant

How about baby bottle warming ladies, did everyone warm their kids bottles by holding them suspended in a pot of water on the stove? I did. Glass bottles and stovetop warming, usually with a kid slung over my hip in need of a change.

BusynMember

When Bart was born there was no choice but glass bottles. I steraluzed the bottles and heated them on a stove.

I was glad when more friendly bottles came out.

I did not breathing feed. I was on medication for Bart and my others were adopted.

AppleCori

Gosh... one year old, you did well. Such was not the case in our house. I was diapering well into the 3's, and youngest son wore diapers at night until age 4. I remember still changing him during the day at age 3-1/2. He was still in diapers fulltime (daytime and night). Used to change him on the floor in the bathroom.

That was only the youngest, and only at night. I didn’t do anything, though, it was something she did herself. I thought that meant she was going to daytime train early, but that wasn’t the case.

Pink Elephant

When Bart was born there was no choice but glass bottles. I steraluzed the bottles and heated them on a stove.

I was glad when more friendly bottles came out.

I did not breathing feed. I was on medication for Bart and my others were adopted.
Glass, really was the way for so many years, wasn't it.

I remember when a rubber nipple came with too small of a hole or holes, I'd heat the end of a diaper pin up and stick the pin in and through the top of the rubber nipple to enlarge it more.

The counter in the kitchen always had an array of baby bottles, nipples and rings drying in the dish-rack.

Pink Elephant

That was only the youngest, and only at night. I didn’t do anything, though, it was something she did herself. I thought that meant she was going to daytime train early, but that wasn’t the case.
Isn't it funny, Apple, how each kid is different?

I have a friend who has 4 kids (comprised of one set of twins), and at one point all 4 were in diapers. Anyhow, she trained the oldest, and low and behold, instead of her second oldest training next in line after the oldest, the twins trained first.

Twins were around age 2-1/2 when they daytime trained, while her 3-1/2 y/o was still in diapers.