Old-fashioned things you've done in your day...

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My mother said I trained so early because even as a tiny premie, I couldn't stand to be wet or soiled and would scream bloody murder. Drove her nuts at night, poor woman had to get up every two hours to feed me when I got out of the nursery, and I would eat, go back to sleep, mum would go back to sleep, and half an hour later, I'd be screaming to have my diaper changed.

My sister trained early as well. She had diaper rash problems so bad that my mother said "you could put a drop of pee on a diaper and she'd have rash down to her knees and up to her nipples."

I think in both my and my sister's cases, cloth diapers contributed mightily to us training so early. My sister because dirty or wet diapers hurt, and me because I had a sensory thing going on (and still have sensory things going on.)

BusynMember

Wow, Leafy. Lots of memories, some that I shared. The cards in the bike wheel spokes...I had forgotten!!! Fun!!!

Keds!!! Yes!

Three or four TV channels and the Star Spangled Banner every morning on TV before the shows came on. The NBC Peacock. Having to turn the TV dial to change channels. Saturday cartoons. I loved cartoons.

Black dial telephones attached to the wall.

The ice cream man in his truck stopping on the corner and all the kids running at him screaming waving quarters.

The newspapers waiting in front of our homes. As of late, we have almost none of that or the kids who delivered them. That was Bart's first job. He was thirteen .He even did it Christmas morning.

Tape recorders with reels. I loved to sing and as a kid had a pretty voice so I would record and then rewind it and listen. It was huge, not a casette player.

Non stereo records.

No FM radio.

New Leaf

Memorial day parades with the town decked out in flags, everyone dressed up to watch, the kids had their own section with bikes decorated with red, white and blue.

Parents who answered with "Because I said so."

Watching the "Sound of Music" in the theater. Mom tried to cut my bangs like Julie Andrews and it was an epic crooked fail.

"The Wizard of Oz" playing on TV every Thanksgiving.

Everyone dressed up for holiday dinners.

Easy Bake ovens were the new rage. Everyone wanted one!

Ginny Dolls with old fashioned outfits. You could curl their hair around your finger and it would stay.

Trying to sleep with pin curls with bobby pins and scarfs. Ouch.
Itchy crinoline and patent leather shoes for special occasions.

Bobby socks!

Hershey bars for five cents.

Fried clams in the summer.

Home made ice cream shop with triple decker cones and jimmies on top.

Pink Elephant

The bread man came to my house. I can remember running out to the truck as he would roll up the back door and all of the fresh goods aroma wafting through the air.
We had milk delivered. The ice cream truck would come in the summers and drop off a big chunk of ice on the road that broke into pieces for the kids to grab. We rode our bikes through the neighborhood, remember the banana seats? Attaching cards to the spokes so they would make noise.
Mosquito trucks would come and spray.
Buster brown shoes. Keds for gym, the only sports sneakers.
Dressing up to go out to eat, go to the doctors, fly on an airplane.
Nana’s matching outfits, pillbox hats and fox fur.
Five and dime stores, penny candy.
Three channels on our black and white tv. Ed Sullivan on Sundays “Folks, we have a realllly good show tonight”. The Beatles played and all we could hear was the teenagers screaming. Tom Jones show with ladies throwing their hotel keys and underwear on the stage.
Walter Cronkite and serious news.
All the tv stations showing President Kennedy’s funeral. Came home from school and found Mom crying.
Everyone knowing each other in the neighborhood.
Home made costumes for Halloween.
Borax dry hand soap.
Dick and Jane readers.
Welches small jelly jars that we could use as cups with Flintstones and Jetson characters.
Bozo the clown.
Captain Kangaroo.
Jackie Gleason.
TV dinners.
Mom and Dad’s bridge night.
Sodas only on special occasions.
Whew what a walk down memory lane.
Thanks for the fun thread Old Hand!
Leafy
Wow! So many great ones I had forgotten about!

The old Five & Dime stores were the best!! Woolworth's topping my list as being THE best! :)

I still remember the opening music theme for Captain Kangaroo! It's one of those, seems like yesterday shows I watched, but when I add up the years it's been almost 50 years! Where does time go...

Soda pop was a special purchase/treat in our home, too. Christmas time was about the only time we had pop in our house. Kids live off the stuff today.

The Evening News with Walter Cronkite. We gathered as a family regularly and watched him.

Yep, hand-made costumes for Halloween, with a simple pillow case for our candy.

What great memories! Thanks for the added cruise down Memory Lane, Leafy. :)

Pink Elephant

Memorial day parades with the town decked out in flags, everyone dressed up to watch, the kids had their own section with bikes decorated with red, white and blue.

Parents who answered with "Because I said so."

Watching the "Sound of Music" in the theater. Mom tried to cut my bangs like Julie Andrews and it was an epic crooked fail.

"The Wizard of Oz" playing on TV every Thanksgiving.

Everyone dressed up for holiday dinners.

Easy Bake ovens were the new rage. Everyone wanted one!

Ginny Dolls with old fashioned outfits. You could curl their hair around your finger and it would stay.

Trying to sleep with pin curls with bobby pins and scarfs. Ouch.
Itchy crinoline and patent leather shoes for special occasions.

Bobby socks!

Hershey bars for five cents.

Fried clams in the summer.

Home made ice cream shop with triple decker cones and jimmies on top.
LOL! Yes! Bobby Pins and those big old-fashioned plastic hair-rollers the size of toilet paper tubes! Ouch!

Another something to add to this conversation, gingham! Everything was gingham back in the day. Tablecloths, shirts, pants, I even remember gingham baby rubber pants.

Oh my goodness... those Easy Bake Oven cakes were so awful tasting, yet us kids lapped them up like they were going out of style, because anything sweet was all good with us! It was a chance to indulge. LOL!

Back when "no" meant "no".

Cars with no AC. Phew... we put in some really hot car trips, and long ones, too.

Pink Elephant

My mother said I trained so early because even as a tiny premie, I couldn't stand to be wet or soiled and would scream bloody murder. Drove her nuts at night, poor woman had to get up every two hours to feed me when I got out of the nursery, and I would eat, go back to sleep, mum would go back to sleep, and half an hour later, I'd be screaming to have my diaper changed.

My sister trained early as well. She had diaper rash problems so bad that my mother said "you could put a drop of pee on a diaper and she'd have rash down to her knees and up to her nipples."

I think in both my and my sister's cases, cloth diapers contributed mightily to us training so early. My sister because dirty or wet diapers hurt, and me because I had a sensory thing going on (and still have sensory things going on.)
Had a daughter that was just like you. A tiny little piddle in her diaper, and she'd start wailing, especially at nighttime. Had to check and change her pants the instant she went.

Baby sibs all trained fairly early (around 18 months to age 2), but baby brother struggled with staying dry. I remember mom still diapering him at nighttime until late.

Had a nephew that would get rashes that would extend to the elastics of his rubber pants. Rubber pants lit his bum right up. Wasn't until he reached his two's that dear sister in law was able to use rubber pants regularly on him.

Also remember the red elastic rings my kids would get around their legs from the rubber pants.

Pink Elephant

Wow, Leafy. Lots of memories, some that I shared. The cards in the bike wheel spokes...I had forgotten!!! Fun!!!

Keds!!! Yes!

Three or four TV channels and the Star Spangled Banner every morning on TV before the shows came on. The NBC Peacock. Having to turn the TV dial to change channels. Saturday cartoons. I loved cartoons.

Black dial telephones attached to the wall.

The ice cream man in his truck stopping on the corner and all the kids running at him screaming waving quarters.

The newspapers waiting in front of our homes. As of late, we have almost none of that or the kids who delivered them. That was Bart's first job. He was thirteen .He even did it Christmas morning.

Tape recorders with reels. I loved to sing and as a kid had a pretty voice so I would record and then rewind it and listen. It was huge, not a casette player.

Non stereo records.

No FM radio.
I remember the silly remote controls for televisions in the early 70's. It was a hand-held boxy looking thing with two buttons, and when you pushed-down on the button (with your thumb) to change the channel, a loud audible CA-CHING would sound! :roflmao:

Also when most everyone had a huge antenna sitting on top of their televisions!

We loved Saturday mornings, because of all the cartoons, and would drag our blankets and pillows from our beds, drape the blankets over the coffee table to make a house, and we'd lay under the coffee table and watch them.

Pink Elephant

Does anyone else remember early disposable diapers back in the day?

The diapers were shaped like long pads, which slipped into a rubber pant with snaps. No pins needed.

These were still in use in the early to mid 70's. Remember them from babysitting.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

And how about Mood Rings?

They changed a different colour with each person that wore them. I never owned one but do remember a few kids at school that had one. They were so lucky! :)

BusynMember

I remember mood rings lol. I don't think they were expensive but not sure. I had one but didn't wear it for long. But I never put on much jewelry, even stuff like mood rings.

I never saw diapers with snaps, just tape.

AppleCori

My older step-sister had a mood ring, which I coveted.

My older girls had mood rings. My youngest does, too, though she never wears it. They were cheap, less than $5 if I recall. Just a novelty toy.

The old ones were probably well-made and of higher quality back in those days.

AppleCori

Does anyone else remember early disposable diapers back in the day?

The diapers were shaped like long pads, which slipped into a rubber pant with snaps. No pins needed.

These were still in use in the early to mid 70's. Remember them from babysitting.

Don’t remember them at all. I bet they got too expensive to manufacture, with those snaps. Those sticky tapes would have been a lot cheaper.

New Leaf

High school...........Yes, everyone had to have a mood ring. Patchouli and rose oil. India Imports with incense, batik bedspreads and brass wind chimes. Avocado appliances. We had an orange car. Now that is coming back into style! Foil embellished wall paper. Mood lamps. Black light posters.

Not to be gross, but remember our pads in those days? The belts with the metal tabs to pull the long pieces at each end through? I hated having my period during school, by the time I walked to class that thing shifted all the way to my backside.......ewwwww. Girls don't know how good they have it with "wings" and adhesive. Of course our grandmothers would beg to differ!
Remember plush pants, wide cords and striped velour? We wore those baby doll shirts with the tiny flowers and baby snaps. Halter tops.......eeeegads, girls in Hawaii went braless and bared midriffs with the lowest of lowrider pants. The poor hormone crazy boys!
Nair......."Who wears short shorts? We wear short shorts, if you dare wear short shorts Nair with short shorts....." what a jingle!
Crocheted bathing suits with stripes.
Hair styles in the 70's.......Long and straight to the sides of the face. Eyebrows tweezed to a thin line, I had caterpillar eyebrows, that was a lot of plucking.
No traffic.
Ahhhhh what times we had.

Thanks gang for all of the memories.
(((HUGS!)))
Leafy

AppleCori

Aside from yourself, GN, there aren't too many that I know that remember the old school-yard separation.

We had co-ed recess. I rember, specifically, because I could out-do even the boys on the monkey bars.

However, I wore dresses when I first went to elementary school, because my mom and grandmother lovingly made all my clothes. I realized that dresses weren’t easy to wear when going on monkey bars, so I convinced her to buy me pants.

We couldn’t wear shorts till, I think, third or fourth grade, though. The rule changed for all grades at that time.

Pink Elephant

I remember mood rings lol. I don't think they were expensive but not sure. I had one but didn't wear it for long. But I never put on much jewelry, even stuff like mood rings.

I never saw diapers with snaps, just tape.
I was never much of a jewelry type person either, but a mood ring when I was a kid would have been over the top! :)

Pink Elephant

My older step-sister had a mood ring, which I coveted.

My older girls had mood rings. My youngest does, too, though she never wears it. They were cheap, less than $5 if I recall. Just a novelty toy.

The old ones were probably well-made and of higher quality back in those days.
Boy, am I ever living in the past. I thought mood rings went out with the 70's?