Old-fashioned things you've done in your day...

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I was just giving thought to a few newly started conversations, and Apple's, latest started thread got me thinking about this one.
So, what sorts of old-fashioned things have you done in your day?

Have you ever hung laundry on an old-fashioned outdoor clothesline?

Yes, both on a wooden fire-escape and on one strung between two trees

Have you ever washed laundry in an old-fashioned wringer washing machine?

I've stood beside my mother while she washed. The "mangle" was in the basement of our apartment building and was electrically powered. She wouldn't let me touch the machine for fear of my getting my fingers caught in it.

Have you ever changed an old-fashioned cloth diaper with safety pins and rubber pants?

Yes. Helped my mother change my sister, and a few times while babysitting.

Have you ever given a spanking?

No. I was not spanked as a child, and the one time I was told by a parent to spank an older infant i was babysitting if he cried too much, I refused. Poor little guy was cold and scared because his parents were gone. I wrapped him up in my sweatshirt and an afghan, and he settled down, went to sleep on my chest, and was quite content.

Have you ever washed floors on your hands-and-knees using a bucket and cloth?

More times than I can remember. Only quit doing it when my knees got to that point.

Have you ever canned fruit and vegetables?

A couple of times.

Have you ever starched and ironed a shirt?

Oh yes...until my husband went for a soldier and became better at it than I was. He used to iron my professional clothing for me. (and polish my shoes and boots)

I don't iron much anymore, but do occasionally, and have a couple of times in the past few years, starched a shirt or pair of pants.

Have you ever started a fire using two sticks?

No. I have used a "steel" (magnesium starter) and flint striker, and I can use a bow drill fire starter, but have never used one when it was a "need fire" situation. Still always have a Bic lighter to hand in car, home, and purse though haven't smoked in years.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I had a water bed!

Drivers training in school, where they taught the hand signals? I remember laughing hysterically at this one guy who just couldn't get the signals, and he stuck his hand out the window and frantically pointed over the roof of the car to signify he was turning left. The instructor did not find this as funny as we did.

Hubs and I had a standard water bed and a hybrid. My dad taught me hand signals when I started riding a bicycle. My driving instructor in HS was rather surprised that I already knew them.

I blew a fuse several years ago and had no tail-lights. This was up in N. WI. So...I went to using hand signals. Nearly got hit a few times. I don't know if they don't teach them anymore in driver's classes, or what, but apparently, no one knew what my arm hanging out the window (in sub-zero weather, mind you) meant.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
bathroom base-boards get washed-down weekly.

Teach the males in your life to sit down to pee. Seriously, my husband was taught by his father, who was Austrian. German and Austrian men usually sit to urinate.

It's considered to be much more hygienic, especially when one is a guest.

According to my husband, the only time he stood was where it was a matter of convenience such as outdoors, or a matter of "not being the only guy squatting in a bunch of GIs.

My father sat as well, and he was of Lithuanian extraction.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I thought I was the only one on earth who did this... lol! I call it The Towel Shuffle lol.

LOL! I did this earlier today. I spilled some of Thomas' laxative, which is sticky, sticky stuff, on the kitchen floor.

I filled a small bucket with soap and water, soaked a rag in it, and "scrubbed" the sticky patch with my right foot, while holding on to the counter with my hand.

(I can't scrub with my left foot, and I'm not steady standing on my left leg. Neuro issues and a very bum knee. If I ever get pulled over for a roadside sobriety test...)

I then rinsed and dried using the same method.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Something I learned from my husband, who learned it from desert natives he spent time with: it's actually cooler to wear loose, long clothing, than to go nearly naked.

I have a mid-calf length, floaty sort of dress that I won't wear out of the house because it's a bit see-through, but it's perfect for sweaty stuff in the house.

I wear my floaty dress, commando, and with the air-circulation beneath it, and the dress holding cooler air near my body, It's actually cooler than naked.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I think the reason I think of cloth training pants as being old-fashioned, is because so many mothers nowadays use disposable pull-ups instead, even though the cloth ones are still around.

Cloth definitely equals discomfort when wet. My kids learned that early on, and it really kicked-in when got older.

Did you have early trainers, Apple?

I trained early, but walked very late due to hip issues, so my mother had a kid who, before she turned two, would scream "potty!!!!!" if she had to go. My mother would grab me and haul blue blazes to get me to the potty on time.

So, my mum used to proudly tell people that i was toilet trained before I could walk. She neglected to tell them that I couldn't walk more than several steps at two.

My sister also trained young.

I also remember the first time my mother saw pull-ups. She picked up the package, looked at the picture on the box, read the description, turned to me and said, "Why would you put a child in a diaper to help potty-train them?"

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have/had varicose veins, but only in my right leg. Years of working sitting on my behind after years of working on my feet.

Right leg I think because of favoring my left. Drove me crazy for years, and kept me from wearing shorts back when I otherwise had the legs to do sow.

I say "had" because I took a heavy fall about 10 weeks ago in the kitchen, chipped the edge of my tibial outside and below the knee, and landed hard enough to knot only bruise my tibia further down the leg, but rupture a nasty knot of surface varicose veins on the outside of my calf.

My whole freaking lower leg turned into one massive bruise, which has finally cleared up.

My leg is not swelling or anything, though I do have knots on my knee, so I assume collateral veins are developing.

I had been thinking of getting surgery to get those veins removed as they ached a lot.

For anyone bothered by varicose veins, I highly recommend medical treatment as opposed to nearly breaking your leg on a wet kitchen floor.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I remember green stamps. I also remember another stamp that was purple with a good border. A&P used to give those out.

My mother used to pay me for sticking the green stamps into the books for her by giving me a percentage of the stamps. When I collected enough stamps on my own, I got to pick something out of the catalog for myself.

Anyone remember gas station and grocery store premiums? I remember glasses and mugs from gas stations, and everything from pots and pans, to dishware, to towels, at grocery stores.

I also remember when banks gave out premiums for opening accounts. Things like toasters or mixers and the like. My dad opened an account and was offered a selection of premiums. One was a baseball glove. He chose that. The banker, who had watched him sign the papers with his left hand, was rather confused when dad asked for a glove for the left hand,e.g. for a right handed player. My dad said, "Oh. It's for my daughter."

Banker: ?!?!?

Oh, I forgot one: hand towels and washcloths in laundry detergent.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Cannot remember which, left or right, was forearm up.

Left---Forearm extended.

Right---Forearm pointed up

Stop/Slowing down--Forearm pointed down.

Everyone should know these signals as bicyclists still use them, and you'll occasional see motorcyclists and scooter/moped riders using them as well.

Pink Elephant

Cool Whip? Who doesn't use Cool Whip? I always buy it for topping pies and making desserts. Is that not a thing? Because half the store dessert freezer section is Cool Whip in various varieties.

Delicious artery plugging poison!

My mom used to use something called "Dream Whip", which was a powder you whipped milk with to make whipped topping.
I used to be a Cool Whip mom, too, but went full true whipping cream. A little more work but better for the arteries and better tasting, too. :)

Pink Elephant

Is anybody old enough to remember using arm signals instead of directional signals to change lanes or at corners?

In rain or snow too. You had to open your car window, sticking your arm out. Cannot remember which, left or right, was forearm up. Or extended. Cars did not have directional signals until the 60s. I cannot remember what we did to signal we were braking.
Oh yes, I remember them, both when driving and when riding a bike.

Pink Elephant

I shared a place that had a gel bed. I instead of water it was filled by a viscous gel. It was so wonderful beyond belief.

Bell-bottoms anybody? Somehow Velvet patchwork comes to mind.
Bell-bottoms here! had two bell-bottom jeans and I loved those things! LOL! So horrid looking when reflecting back to the day, but for the time they were it! LOL!

I remember velvet-work and pillows in vans with the murals on the side, like the Hardy Boys had! How neat was that. :)

Pink Elephant

In the 60s there was a return to nature, to basics. We wore hiking boots as everyday shoes. Like with skirts.

Well. What did I a city girl know? I was invited on a mountain hike in cliffs bear the ocean. I had gorgeous high heeled leather boots. I wore them to hike. I still remember the pain.

I was kind of confused....
You made me think of Dingo Boots. Anyone else remember them? My baby brother got a pair when he was 7 or 8, and guarded them with his life. What a sweetie.

Pink Elephant

Oh bell bottoms, sure, but they came back recently as flares!

I used hand signals for bikes.

I remember ratted hair but in our particular town that was a greaser thing. My hair was so fine it wouldn't have ratted anyway.

Yay, Old Hand, join the Lazy Ladies, do the Towel Shuffle, and stay with us!
You're a bad influence, SOT! :biggrin:

Pink Elephant

I had a water bed! And the Farrah hairdo, but I hated having to mess with it to get it to look right.

How about Bare Traps shoes? They had wooden soles. Dittos pants? I hate the thought that stuff I wore in high school might be old fashioned LOL. Muumuus for women of a certain weight?

Drivers training in school, where they taught the hand signals? I remember laughing hysterically at this one guy who just couldn't get the signals, and he stuck his hand out the window and frantically pointed over the roof of the car to signify he was turning left. The instructor did not find this as funny as we did.
Bad hair days were the worst.

ROFL, about the driver training guy pointing over the roof of the car. Priceless!

I can't say I remember Bare Traps Shoes...

BusynMember

Did anyone else rip their jeans? That was big in style for me. We would buy new jeans and cut them up and ripped them mostly in the knees. We went to school like that. Drove parents nuts. Few wore jeans that were not ripped in my area. I had a lot of bell bottoms, all bought new, all ripped. All with threats that I would never get new jeans again if I was going to cut them up. It didnt stop me. I loved that look. I think some wrote on their bell bottoms too but I don't think I did that much.

That was the hippie influence in my area. We did not ever wear straight jeans unless we were a greaser and they wore black straight jeans.

Was I the only oddball that went to a school where the kids split into different groups with different types of attire? Only the preps were sort of clean cut looking but many of them stole and did drugs too.

I refused to wear unripped bell bottoms because I did not want ANYONE to mistake me for either a prep or a greaser. I had a dislike for both jocks and the school hoodlums and although I sort of dressed like a hippie, I had no love for them either as I was not political and was anti drug and anti smoking.

Anyone wear a boy's ring with yarn around it to git your finger if you were going steady? That is what we did at my school. Or we wore the boy's ring on a chain around our necks.

I had lots of boys who asked me out but never got to go steady. Boys expected sex. I would not do anything more than make out. Even boob touching didn't happen until I was at least 19. I am the only my babyboomer I know who was a virgin when I got married. I wanted to be good...I thought this was one way to be good. I was very different lol. Anyone else?

High school was a place where I felt I didn't connect to most people but I was a loner so I stayed to myself. Anyway....

Ripped bell bottoms anyone? Going North? Anybody? What signified going steady? Anyone else determined to be a virgin when married? I actually got this from my mother who abused me. She convinced me to "save yourself for marriage." I am not sure she believed I had.

Last edited:

AppleCori

Is anybody old enough to remember using arm signals instead of directional signals to change lanes or at corners?

In rain or snow too. You had to open your car window, sticking your arm out. Cannot remember which, left or right, was forearm up. Or extended. Cars did not have directional signals until the 60s. I cannot remember what we did to signal we were braking.

I remember a lot of farmers who had trucks without signals. Old trucks. They lasted forever.

Pink Elephant

I was just giving thought to a few newly started conversations, and Apple's, latest started thread got me thinking about this one.
So, what sorts of old-fashioned things have you done in your day?

Have you ever hung laundry on an old-fashioned outdoor clothesline?

Yes, both on a wooden fire-escape and on one strung between two trees

Have you ever washed laundry in an old-fashioned wringer washing machine?

I've stood beside my mother while she washed. The "mangle" was in the basement of our apartment building and was electrically powered. She wouldn't let me touch the machine for fear of my getting my fingers caught in it.

Have you ever changed an old-fashioned cloth diaper with safety pins and rubber pants?

Yes. Helped my mother change my sister, and a few times while babysitting.

Have you ever given a spanking?

No. I was not spanked as a child, and the one time I was told by a parent to spank an older infant i was babysitting if he cried too much, I refused. Poor little guy was cold and scared because his parents were gone. I wrapped him up in my sweatshirt and an afghan, and he settled down, went to sleep on my chest, and was quite content.

Have you ever washed floors on your hands-and-knees using a bucket and cloth?

More times than I can remember. Only quit doing it when my knees got to that point.

Have you ever canned fruit and vegetables?

A couple of times.

Have you ever starched and ironed a shirt?

Oh yes...until my husband went for a soldier and became better at it than I was. He used to iron my professional clothing for me. (and polish my shoes and boots)

I don't iron much anymore, but do occasionally, and have a couple of times in the past few years, starched a shirt or pair of pants.

Have you ever started a fire using two sticks?

No. I have used a "steel" (magnesium starter) and flint striker, and I can use a bow drill fire starter, but have never used one when it was a "need fire" situation. Still always have a Bic lighter to hand in car, home, and purse though haven't smoked in years.
Yes, the old mangle! I forgot about that name!! :)

My job was standing at the back of the machine (behind the rollers) catching things and ensuring they landed in the basket. We ran a ton of diapers through her mangle!

As for spanking, outside of paddling my own kids, someone really had to be deserving of a good lickin' before I handed one down as a babysitter, otherwise I practiced putting unruly kids in question into their cribs, in their rooms, and even facing them into the corner.

Speaking of washing floors, my knees are a tad swollen this evening, as I spent the day scrubbing floors and doing laundry (up and down, and down and up the basement stairs all day)!