Question of the day... Motherhood

Pink Elephant

As mothers, we each chose a path as to how we want to do things, and in turn, we each choose what we are going to use as far as tools of the trade goes, i.e., glass or plastic baby bottles, cloth or disposable diapers, and so on and so forth.

Anyhow, thought it would be fun to peruse this topic with everyone to get a feel for what motherhood looked like in each of our homes in the day.

- What era were you raising babies? 1960's? 1970's? 1980's? etc...

- Were you a stay-at-home mom or did you work outside the home?

- Did you bottle or breastfeed?

- Did you Make homemade baby food and formula?

- Did you use crib bumper pads?

- Did you use cloth or vinyl bibs?

- Did you bathe baby in the kitchen sink or a plastic baby tub?

- Did you use a playpen?

- Did you use cloth diapers and rubber pants or disposable diapers?

- Did you use a changing table?

- Did you use a Diaper Service?

- Did you use glass or plastic baby bottle?

- Did you use cloth training pants or disposable training pants?

- Did you use a baby stroller of baby carriage?

- Did you use 100% cotton baby washcloths or disposable baby wipes?

- Did you spank?

- Did you rely on family to babysit or did you use regular ordinary babysitters?

Pink Elephant

- What era were you raising babies? 1960's? 1970's? 1980's? etc... 1980's, early 90's...

- Were you a stay-at-home mom or did you work outside the home? Yes, always

- Did you bottle or breastfeed? Both at the start, then all bottle. first two kids were both breast and bottle fed, last two were strictly bottle-fed

- Did you Make homemade baby food and formula? Sure did!

- Did you use crib bumper pads? Yep! Vinyl padded ones

- Did you use cloth or vinyl bibs? Always vinyl plastic ones. Easy care, wipe clean, no fuss

- Did you bathe baby in the kitchen sink or a plastic baby tub? LOL! I did both at the start, but mostly used the plastic baby bath

- Did you use a playpen? Yes, loved the playpen! Used to pack it when we went on outings such as picnics and when visiting

- Did you use cloth diapers and rubber pants or disposable diapers? Cloth diapers and rubber pants (with pins). Diaper liners, too, when the kids were little babies

- Did you use a changing table? No. I usually changed diapers in the crib

- Did you use a Diaper Service? No. Good old-fashioned home-laundered diapers done in the washing machine, then hung on the line to dry

- Did you use glass or plastic baby bottle? I used both. Glass when the kids were little, plastic when they got older and were walking and crawling

- Did you use cloth training pants or disposable training pants? Always cloth! Cloth diapers and cloth training pants

- Did you use a baby stroller of baby carriage? Both in the beginning, though the stroller proved to be the best for me

- Did you use 100% cotton baby washcloths or disposable baby wipes? Yuppers! 100% cotton baby washcloths went hand-in-hand with the cloth diapers I used. Never once considered using one without the other...

- Did you spank? Yes I did and don't regret it

- Did you rely on family to babysit or did you use regular ordinary babysitters? Both

BusynMember

- What era were you raising babies? 1960's? 1970's? 1980's? etc... (For me, i had Bart, Goneboy and Princess from 1977 but had a second two kids with second husband about a decade later...adopted all kids except oldest. Adoption was a choice...could have given birth again.)

- Were you a stay-at-home mom or did you work outside the home? (Stay at home with part time jobs when husband was home. Did not like daycare.)

- Did you bottle or breastfeed? (Bottle)

- Did you Make homemade baby food and formula? (No and no (my daughter, the chef, always made homemade food gor my granddaughter though)

- Did you use crib bumper pads? (Yes.)

- Did you use cloth or vinyl bibs? (Both.)

- Did you bathe baby in the kitchen sink or a plastic baby tub? (Baby tub)

- Did you use a playpen? (Not much. Wanted them to be able to explore.)

- Did you use cloth diapers and rubber pants or disposable diapers? (Disposible only)

- Did you use a changing table? (No.)

- Did you use a Diaper Service? (No.)

(Both.)

- Did you use cloth training pants or disposable training pants? (Nope. Just disposables.)

- Did you use a baby stroller of baby carriage? (Strollers. Mostly an umbrella stroller.)

- Did you use 100% cotton baby washcloths or disposable baby wipes? (Wipes, paper towels, wash cloths etc.)

- Did you spank? (Nope. Used time outs. Maybe we should ask people what they did for discipline.)

- Did you rely on family to babysit or did you use regular ordinary babysitters? (Took them with us. Not big "going outters")

How about when they started nursery school? (I started my kids two half days per week to three half days a week at age three and four) until kindergarden, which was only 1/2 day at the time. Drove them, picked them up.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

- What era were you raising babies? 1960's? 1970's? 1980's? etc... (For me, i had my son, Goneboy and Princess from 1977 but had a second two kids with second husband about a decade later...adopted all kids except oldest. Adoption was a choice...could have given birth again.)

- Were you a stay-at-home mom or did you work outside the home? Stay at home with part time jobs when husband was home. Did not likr daycare.

- Did you bottle or breastfeed? Bottle

- Did you Make homemade baby food and formula? No and no (my daughter, the chef, always made homemadr food gor my granddaughter though)

- Did you use crib bumper pads? Yes.

- Did you use cloth or vinyl bibs? Both.

- Did you bathe baby in the kitchen sink or a plastic baby tub? Baby tub

- Did you use a playpen? Not much. Wanted them to be able to explore.

- Did you use cloth diapers and rubber pants or disposable diapers? Disposible only

- Did you use a changing table? No.

- Did you use a Diaper Service? No.

Both.

- Did you use cloth training pants or disposable training pants? Nope. Just disposables.

- Did you use a baby stroller of baby carriage? Strollers. Mostly an umbrella stroller.

- Did you use 100% cotton baby washcloths or disposable baby wipes? Wipes, paper towels, was cloths etc.

- Did you spank? Nope. Used time outs. Maybe we should ask people what they did gor discipline? I was not particularly strict.

- Did you rely on family to babysit or did you use regular ordinary babysitters?
Took them with us. Not big "going outters"

How about when fid they start nursery school? I started two half days per week to three half days a week until kindergarden, which was only 1/2 day at the time. Drove them, picked them up.[/QUOTE]Your nursery school question is a great addition! Thanks, SWOT! Great thinking!

No, I never enrolled my kids in nursery school, but I remember how popular nursery school used to be when I was a young child, though us kids never attended either.

We were pretty much stay-at-home parents all the time, aside from an occasional trip here and there, so visiting at family homes and simple outings were what we were all about, and most of the time I packed the kids up with us, but on occasion when family wasn't available to babysit, I'd call in a house babysitter from around the neighbourhood (young teen girl or college girl) to babysit for the evening, just to give us a break and time away.

Another one I just thought of, soothers.

- Did you use a soother? Yes

Pink Elephant

Thanks for the idea about the discipline question, SomeWhereOutThere! :) You come up with such great ideas!

- What did you do in the way of discipline and punishment in your home? I spanked, gave timeouts, served crib-time to those deserving of, and even took away privileges when needed

BusynMember

What is a soother? Lol.

I did not have a close family. Raised the first three kids pretty much alone since first husband was not at all involved with the kids. I liked being Mom and my part time jobs after hub got home was my "break."

However first hub was so unable and/or unwilling to make decisions for kids that he called me constantly at work, which for a long time was a hospital admitting office! I got my one evening shift co-worker to answer my phone if my personal line rang and tell hub, "I am sorry, but she is busy right now." Before that I would be pelted with his calls like, "Do you think its all right for Bart to go across to the street to play with Good Friends Son?" Ugh and double uugghh!!

Pink Elephant

What is a soother? Lol.

I did not have a close family. Raised the first three kids pretty much alone since first husband was not at all involved with the kids. I liked being Mom and my part time jobs after hub got home was my "break."

However first hub was so unable and/or unwilling to make decisions for kids that he called me constantly at work, which for a long time was a hospital admitting office! I git my one evening shift co-worker to answer my phone if my personal line rang and tell hub, "I am sorry, but she is busy right now." Before that I would be pelted with his calls like, "Do you think its all right for Bart to go across to the street to play with Good Friends Son?" Ugh and double uugghh!!
LOL, SWOT!

I've always called a baby's pacifier a soother. My mom always called them soothers when we were little and the name stuck with me. :)

Nothing is more frustrating for a mother than a SO who is unsure or unwilling to take charge. So nice when you're both on the same page and get the job done.

BusynMember

Old Hand...after seventeen years I divorced him. I was fortunate enough to meet my awesome husband years later and we adopted two kids. He was and still is a perfect father. My daughter is crazy about him...is going to have her boyfriend ask for her hand before he formally proposes to her...lol. i think it is so cute.

He was always there for Sonic and Jumper and it was so great to be raising these two kids as a very close couple and as partners. Both Hub and I have received many loving, kind words (some in writing) from both of the kids about how special we are and what great parents we are. Jumpers kind birthday letter yhis year made me bawl like a stupid baby. I have many letters from her that I will always keep near my heart.

Meanwhile Bart and Princess complain to me about my ex all the time. He gives them money, but is not really there for them emotionally. That is still just my role with them. I have had to call ex to explain when he has deeply hurt them. He doesnt get it.

Pink Elephant

Old Hand...after seventeen years I divorced him. I was fortunate enough to meet my awesome husband years later and we adopted two kids. He was and still is a perfect father. My daughter is crazy about him...is going to have her boyfriend ask fir her hand before he formally proposes to her...lol. i think it is so cute. He was always there for Sonic and Jumper and it was so great to be raising these two kids as a very close couple and as partners. Both Hub and I have received many loving, kind words (some in writing) from both of the kids about how special we are and what great parents we are.

Meanwhile Bart and Princess complain to me about my ex all the time. He gives them money, but is not really there for them emotionally. That is still just my role with them.
You sound like you were a wonderful mom! :) Our world needs more moms like you.

BusynMember

I think I was good, but even so the divorce affected Princess a lot and she got into drugs. And Bart always had a difficult personality but we have always been close.

Jumper and Sonic had the huge advantage of two involved parents who loved eaxh other a lot. Jumper often writes about how we showed her that forever love exists. She and Sonic saw very little fighting or disharmony. We parented as a team. Makes a difference. We always stood together. Honestly, Jumper is so very grateful...she is aware she had it good. Sonic has autism, but has expressed the same. In his way.

I am happy two kids will never experience divorce. That is never good for kids of any age.

Pink Elephant

I think I was good, but even so the divorce affected Princess a lot and she got into drugs. And Bart always had a difficult personality but we have always been close.

Jumper and Sonic had the huge advantage of two involved parents who loved eaxh other a lot. Jumper often writes about how we showed her that forever love exists. She and Sonic saw very little fighting or disharmony. We parented as a team. Makes a difference. We always stood together. Honestly, Jumper is so very grateful...she is aware she had it good. Sonic has autism, but has expressed the same. In his way.

I am happy two kids will never experience divorce. That is never good for kids of any age.
I count my blessings knowing I've been fortunate enough to enjoy a long-term marriage, because I've witnessed such turmoil in families when couple part.

LittleDudesMom

- What era were you raising babies? 1960's? 1970's? 1980's? etc... ALL THE 90'S AND MOST OF THE 2000'S

- Were you a stay-at-home mom or did you work outside the home? STAY AT HOME

- Did you bottle or breastfeed? BOTTLE

- Did you Make homemade baby food and formula? YES TO BABY FOOD TO BOTH

- Did you use crib bumper pads? YES

- Did you use cloth or vinyl bibs? CLOTH

- Did you bathe baby in the kitchen sink or a plastic baby tub? BABY TUB

- Did you use a playpen? ONLY TO STORE TOYS WITH MY FIRST 'CAUSE SHE HATED IT AND SO DID I. GAVE IT AWAY BEFORE 2ND WAS BORN.

- Did you use cloth diapers and rubber pants or disposable diapers? CLOTH DIAPERS AND CLOTH COVERS WITH THE FIRST - DISPOSABLE WITH THE SECOND

- Did you use a changing table? NOPE, ANY HANDY SURFACE MADE DO

- Did you use a Diaper Service? YES, WITH MY FIRST

- Did you use glass or plastic baby bottle? PLATEX DISPOSABLE

- Did you use cloth training pants or disposable training pants? CLOTH WITH BOTH

- Did you use a baby stroller of baby carriage? STELLAR

- Did you use 100% cotton baby washcloths or disposable baby wipes? FOR CLEANING THE BUM OR BASIC WASHING? WIPES FOR DIAPER CHANGING AND WASHCLOTHS FOR BATHING

- Did you spank? NOPE

BABYSITTERS AND MAYBE mother in law A COUPLE TIMES WITH THE FIRST.

That was fun!

Sharon

Pink Elephant

- What era were you raising babies? 1960's? 1970's? 1980's? etc... ALL THE 90'S AND MOST OF THE 2000'S

- Were you a stay-at-home mom or did you work outside the home? STAY AT HOME

- Did you bottle or breastfeed? BOTTLE

- Did you Make homemade baby food and formula? YES TO BABY FOOD TO BOTH

- Did you use crib bumper pads? YES

- Did you use cloth or vinyl bibs? CLOTH

- Did you bathe baby in the kitchen sink or a plastic baby tub? BABY TUB

- Did you use a playpen? ONLY TO STORE TOYS WITH MY FIRST 'CAUSE SHE HATED IT AND SO DID I. GAVE IT AWAY BEFORE 2ND WAS BORN.

- Did you use cloth diapers and rubber pants or disposable diapers? CLOTH DIAPERS AND CLOTH COVERS WITH THE FIRST - DISPOSABLE WITH THE SECOND

- Did you use a changing table? NOPE, ANY HANDY SURFACE MADE DO

- Did you use a Diaper Service? YES, WITH MY FIRST

- Did you use glass or plastic baby bottle? PLATEX DISPOSABLE

- Did you use cloth training pants or disposable training pants? CLOTH WITH BOTH

- Did you use a baby stroller of baby carriage? STELLAR

- Did you use 100% cotton baby washcloths or disposable baby wipes? FOR CLEANING THE BUM OR BASIC WASHING? WIPES FOR DIAPER CHANGING AND WASHCLOTHS FOR BATHING

- Did you spank? NOPE

BABYSITTERS AND MAYBE mother in law A COUPLE TIMES WITH THE FIRST.

That was fun!

Sharon
Thanks, LDM! :)

Gosh, I'm so old-fashioned I don't know what cloth covers are. All I know is the plain old-fashioned rubber pants! LOL! Not hard to tell I'm still living in the past, huh! :p

BusynMember

I used only disposables. Everything got thrown in a bag that was tied shut then tossed in a garbage, the location depending on where we were.

I didnt want to smell it in the car ride home!

How come you didnt use disposables? Lots cleaner and easier. I think the kids stayed dryer. None of my kids had diaper rash.