Questions for fnew psychiatrist

crazymama30

I have written up a list of questions for a new psychiatrist, and wanted to have you guys look over them and tell me if you have any suggestions. Some of them I took from a website (thank you small world) and some I made up. Any feedback would be great. I have an appointment with one psychiatrist next week.

--How the physician interacts with child, parent and family
--Openness to questions, new information, second opinions and expert consultation
--Does s/he keep up with education by attendance at professional meetings, courses and reading scientific peer reviewed journals?
--What is the doctor's general attitude about childhood bipolar disorder and how does it relate to comorbid disorders?
--What is the role of mood stabilization?
--How are comorbid diagnoses treated?
--What is a reasonable length of time for trying a course of treatment before considering a medication change?
--Is the physician willing to work in conjunction with the socialworker, counselor or psychologist who is providing therapy for the family/child?
--Who provides emergency and backup coverage when the physician is unavailable?
--What would your reaction be if I do not agree with your opinion regarding a medication and do not want to use it?
--How is it best to communicate with you? Do you respond in a timely manner?
--Are you willing to meet with both difficult child and I together and separately if needed?
--How long to you schedule for your appts? medication checks or others.

Last edited:

flutterby

Fly away!
I think those are good questions. I don't have anything to add, but I am not generally prepared enough to have questions to ask.

Just remember to trust your gut.

crazymama30

Thanks Heather. I am going to print them out with room between questions to make notes of their answers. I know of 2 I am going to see for sure, a 3rd is a possibility, and i am not sure of PMHNP. Does anyone have any experiences with nurse practioners?

pepperidge

Those are very good questions. Thank you for sharing with us!

I wonder whether you could reframe the first few though to get at what you are looking for. When you ask how they interact with family and child, are you looking for how they manage appointment's child and family? Or whether they do family-type therapy? I also wonder if you are going to get a very insightful answer on the question of whether they keep up with current trends--i would i magine that they would say yes of course. Perhaps there is some way to ask the question to see where they stand on certain bipolar issues for kids (which you try to get at later.)
Same sort of concern for openess to new opinions. I would think that they would say of course yes. Again maybe you could reframe the question to ask who they recommend when a second opinion is needed or something along those lines.

Good luc--I'll be interested to find out what you learn!

crazymama30

Pepper, I think you are right, some of the questions they will all answer in the same way, but I want to see their reaction, do they pause, how do they word things, etc. I will rephrase some of the first ones, I had just copied and pasted them from a website, and you have a very good point. Thank you.

crazymama30

Pepper, I redid some of them , thank you. I hope you will check these out and let me know what you think. Anyone else please feel free to chime in.

--How do you manage appts? Do you see only the child, the child and parent together and then the parent if needed? Or only the child and parent together?
--If for any reason a second opinion or further psychiatric testing was needed, who do you refer to
--What is the newest piece of information regarding childhood bipolar that you have read/learned?
--What is your opinion of childhood BiPolar (BP) and comorbid disorders?
--What should be treated first?
--How do you feel stimulants and AD's play a role in the treatment of childhood bipolar?
--What is the role of mood stabilization
--What is a reasonable length of time for trying a course of treatment before considering a medication change?
--Is the physician willing to work in conjunction with the socialworker, counselor or psychologist who is providing therapy for the family/child?
--Who provides emergency and backup coverage when the physician is unavailable?
--What would your reaction be if I do not agree with your opinion regarding a medication and do not want to use it
--How is it best to communicate with you? Do you respond in a timely manner?
--How long to you schedule for your appts? medication checks or others.
--If I hear of a new treatment or medication that I feel can help my son, how would you react?

Last edited: