Ratings system...

Pink Elephant

OH. I encourage you to advise runaway bunny the site administrator of your thoughts about the rating system. All of us besides her are bystanders and act within in a system we did not create. Each of us finds an imperfect way to respond.
I see my concerns falling on deaf-ears.

Copabanana

OH. I agree with you. I just do not agree it is exclusionary. I see it more as friendship.

CD is like the real world in the way that people get to know each other through repeated contact. Is it not human to respond to people who show us attention and kindness. Support and understanding. Especially when we are vulnerable?

I agree that the rating system quantifies something that is not, should not be quantifiable. But I still assert that some of us use ratings like hugs or smiles. We touch each other that way.

I hope my ears are still not so deaf. While I am hard of hearing I do not perceive myself as dense. Smile.

Lil

At the top of the forum is a banner that reads, ConductDisorders, and directly under the banner is a line of options. If you click on Members, a list of "Notable Members" shows, along with other details such as "Most Positive Ratings", and best of all, "Most Points".

I can honestly say that in all my time on this board, I have never noticed this before. I guess I've never bothered to press the "members" tab except maybe to look for a moderator to complain to or something.

I don't know what "positive ratings" would really be - because they don't give us little "votes" that aren't positive. I mean, they all are, aren't they? I don't even know how "points" would be assigned.

My guess is this is something from the beginning of time, that's always been there, but really has no function at all. Kind of the board's appendix.

I "vote" when I feel like it. If I agree I'll sometimes pop on a "like" or "agree". Sometimes I won't, when we're just chatting, like on the tips thread. I just though it was a thing to do, like a "like" on Facebook. Means nothing more to me than that.

I wouldn't mind if someone like @runawaybunny would explain what that's all about.

AppleCori

All the ratings on this site are positive, I would guess. Nothing on the list looks negative, and I’m pretty sure I have used and received all of them at one point or another.

The ‘points’ may be awarded according to how many posts you have made. I seem to remember have a ‘trophy’ icon pop up with a blurb saying ‘you have reached 1000 posts’ or something to that effect.

AppleCori

I will be forever grateful if you practice your thoughtfulness and withhold any/all ratings in the future related to me. You, along with so many others already reward me and rate me by replying to my posts and started conversations. That's all I ask.

I will try to remember, OH, but forgive me if I don’t!

Pink Elephant

OH. I agree with you. I just do not agree it is exclusionary. I see it more as friendship.

CD is like the real world in the way that people get to know each other through repeated contact. Is it not human to respond to people who show us attention and kindness. Support and understanding. Especially when we are vulnerable?

I agree that the rating system quantifies something that is not, should not be quantifiable. But I still assert that some of us use ratings like hugs or smiles. We touch each other that way.

I hope my ears are still not so deaf. While I am hard of hearing I do not perceive myself as dense. Smile.
For those who enjoy letting another member know that their reply or post is a WINNER, or that they LIKE, or AGREE with, or find it USEFUL, or INFORMATIVE, or whatever, I think that's great, but I myself will no longer be applying such ratings.

Sure, a hug given at the end of my reply for someone who needs one (HUGS), I'm all for that, just as I am in favour of using a smiley.

Pink Elephant

I can honestly say that in all my time on this board, I have never noticed this before. I guess I've never bothered to press the "members" tab except maybe to look for a moderator to complain to or something.

I don't know what "positive ratings" would really be - because they don't give us little "votes" that aren't positive. I mean, they all are, aren't they? I don't even know how "points" would be assigned.

My guess is this is something from the beginning of time, that's always been there, but really has no function at all. Kind of the board's appendix.

I "vote" when I feel like it. If I agree I'll sometimes pop on a "like" or "agree". Sometimes I won't, when we're just chatting, like on the tips thread. I just though it was a thing to do, like a "like" on Facebook. Means nothing more to me than that.

I wouldn't mind if someone like @runawaybunny would explain what that's all about.
I see the ratings system, the likes of... LIKE, WINNER, USEFUL, INFORMATIVE, and all the rest of the ratings symbols as being redundant. If I were to see that you and several other members replied to my entry, then that in itself would relay to me that you along with the others liked my post, whereas those who passed on responding, would tell me that they didn't like my post.

It's elementary, which in my opinion is more than likely why it sparked the irritation in me that is has.

Why not add a few more symbols such as a small airplane, where members who dislike your post can do a fly-by, drop a bomb on it, and keep flying.

The current system in my opinion, segregates members from members, with those who have garnered less ratings, feeling less worthy of their input, and that's the shame of the ratings system here. In my opinion when people feel worthless or not appreciated, seldom do they remain involved or get involved.

I don't wish to hum-drum this matter any further, but do want to extend a thank you to all who took the time to respond. I always appreciate those who go the extra mile here by getting involved and responding to Watercooler type conversations, because it helps make this forum a more enjoyable and fun place.

Thanks everybody.

Last edited:

AppleCori

I see the ratings system, the likes of... LIKE, WINNER, USEFUL, INFORMATIVE, and all the rest of the ratings symbols as being redundant. If I were to see that you and several other members replied to my entry, then that in itself would relay to me that you along with the others liked my post, whereas those who passed on responding, would tell me that they didn't like my post.

It's elementary, which in my opinion is more than likely why it sparked the irritation in me that is has.

Why not add a few more symbols such as a small airplane, where members who dislike your post can do a fly-by, drop a bomb on it, and keep flying.

I don't care to hum-drum this matter any further, but do want to extend a thank you to all who took the time to respond. I always appreciate those who go the extra mile here by getting involved and responding to Watercooler type conversations, because it helps make this forum a more enjoyable and fun place.

Thanks everybody.

I, for one, appreciate the fact that there are no ‘airplane dropping bombs’ icons.

I would definitely have more than my share!

Humor doesn’t translate as well online. That’s my problem. I just know it!

Lil

Not to beat a dead horse further, but be warned, I'll probably still do a "Like" or "Agree" or "Funny" or whatever on your posts as times go by OH...because it's habit, after so many years. Don't get annoyed with me. ;) Sometimes, that's all I do; I do that instead of responding, because I have nothing to add to the conversation, but I still enjoy reading them.

Pink Elephant

I, for one, appreciate the fact that there are no ‘airplane dropping bombs’ icons.

I would definitely have more than my share!

Humor doesn’t translate as well online. That’s my problem. I just know it!
With you, Apple, I'm always on my toes, because I can always expect something funny or edgy related to certain entries you do. I thank you for that. Helps keep the forum light.

Pink Elephant

Not to beat a dead horse further, but be warned, I'll probably still do a "Like" or "Agree" or "Funny" or whatever on your posts as times go by OH...because it's habit, after so many years. Don't get annoyed with me. ;) Sometimes, that's all I do; I do that instead of responding, because I have nothing to add to the conversation, but I still enjoy reading them.
No offence will be taken, just as I hope no offence is taken when people notice zero ratings applied to their entries from me.

AppleCori

The current system in my opinion, segregates members from members, with those who have garnered less ratings, feeling less worthy of their input, and that's the shame of the ratings system here. In my opinion when people feel worthless or not appreciated, seldom do they remain involved or get involved.

I don't wish to hum-drum this matter any further, but do want to extend a thank you to all who took the time to respond. I always appreciate those who go the extra mile here by getting involved and responding to Watercooler type conversations, because it helps make this forum a more enjoyable and fun place.

Thanks everybody.

One other thing—I don’t think people who don’t respond on a thread necessarily means that they don’t like the subject.

I have missed many topics on Watercooler that I would have enjoyed posting on, but simply didn’t have the time at that moment. Then when I did remember (sometimes long after) everyone had moved on. It happens. I have a few that I would like to comment on that are way off the first page, and I just know everyone missed out on my wisdom and humor that day! C’est la vie....

Pink Elephant

One other thing—I don’t think people who don’t respond on a thread necessarily means that they don’t like the subject.

I have missed many topics on Watercooler that I would have enjoyed posting on, but simply didn’t have the time at that moment. Then when I did remember (sometimes long after) everyone had moved on. It happens. I have a few that I would like to comment on that are way off the first page, and I just know everyone missed out on my wisdom and humor that day! C’est la vie....
I'm odd that way, in that I'm not afraid to resurrect a past or old conversation. I say let you hair down, Apple, and revive whatever older conversation you feel like reviving!

runawaybunny

Administrator
Staff member
I've been a member for just over a year now, yet am still at a loss as to what the ratings system is all about.

I see a gross imbalance in the way members rate other members replies and started threads. I see a sort of buddy system in place here, where if you fit in with, and are popular with other long-time members (a sort of click if you will), you get rated, and often, too, may I add, but newcomers and those less popular enjoy fewer ratings, sometimes no ratings at all.

I'm tired of participating in a system that differentiates between those who aren't popular as compared to those who are, so will no longer be a willing party behind applying ratings to entries.

Thank you for tagging me in this thread @Lil, I wasn't previously aware of it.

There's no big deep meaning to the ratings. I've been a forum admin since 1999 and have installed 3 different developer's software platforms for forums. Each platform had built in ratings systems because, frankly, most every social media platform includes some type of ratings. It's just what they build in.

Notable members is also a function built into our current platform, xenforo. It is basically a post count feature, nothing more than that. The database for this community has been around since 1999. That's a long time but the post count on this forum is not accurate, for the following reason.

I remember when I first stumbled upon this community. I was a struggling mom seeking support and advice about parenting my wayward teen daughter. Initially I spent a lot of time here interacting with the members. Then things in my parenting journey calmed down and I didn't come back for a couple of months. When my daughter went off the rails again I returned to read the supportive advice I had been given in response to my posts, but that had all disappeared. I contacted the admin to find out what happened to my posts and was told that she routinely deleted threads, including all of mine. It was never made clear to me what the criteria was to delete threads, but it looks like most of the members on the notable list are old timers who must not of had their posts deleted. The previous admin's decision to regularly delete posts has skewed the current notable members list.

I have rarely ever looked at that list, but I just took a look. Most of the members on that list no longer participate here. Many of them haven't participated for years. One hasn't posted here since 2008. I know three of them passed away a few years ago.

It would be easy to judge this community's notable list to be biased if you didn't know it's simply a post count tally. I guess it basically is biased based upon the previous admin's decision to routinely delete threads for whatever reason. Please accept my apology for the confusion.

Pink Elephant

Thank you for tagging me in this thread @Lil, I wasn't previously aware of it.

There's no big deep meaning to the ratings. I've been a forum admin since 1999 and have installed 3 different developer's software platforms for forums. Each platform had built in ratings systems because, frankly, most every social media platform includes some type of ratings. It's just what they build in.

Notable members is also a function built into our current platform, xenforo. It is basically a post count feature, nothing more than that. The database for this community has been around since 1999. That's a long time but the post count on this forum is not accurate, for the following reason.

I remember when I first stumbled upon this community. I was a struggling mom seeking support and advice about parenting my wayward teen daughter. Initially I spent a lot of time here interacting with the members. Then things in my parenting journey calmed down and I didn't come back for a couple of months. When my daughter went off the rails again I returned to read the supportive advice I had been given in response to my posts, but that had all disappeared. I contacted the admin to find out what happened to my posts and was told that she routinely deleted threads, including all of mine. It was never made clear to me what the criteria was to delete threads, but it looks like most of the members on the notable list are old timers who must not of had their posts deleted. The previous admin's decision to regularly delete posts has skewed the current notable members list.

I have rarely ever looked at that list, but I just took a look. Most of the members on that list no longer participate here. Many of them haven't participated for years. One hasn't posted here since 2008. I know three of them passed away a few years ago.

It would be easy to judge this community's notable list to be biased if you didn't know it's simply a post count tally. I guess it basically is biased based upon the previous admin's decision to routinely delete threads for whatever reason. Please accept my apology for the confusion.
Thank you so kindly for taking the time to walk us through the ratings system. I know one thing is for sure, I won't be snooping around anymore as far as members go.

I'm just happy that this place has such a warm and friendly group of people. Makes one feel like they're right at home... possibly why I looked-down on the ratings system so negatively.

P.S. Runawaybunny. Sure wish you had the time to post more, as I enjoy your Parenting News Articles immensely.