Related Services

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by klmno, Jan 29, 2009.

  1. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    how do you prove that a child needs related services- such as activities to promote healthy social involvement? Any time I bring up a social group need, or anxiety in my son, or anything other than a direct and obvious academic problem or behavior problem, the principal says they don't see the need for addressing that with my son.
  2. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    Good question. I've yet to find many sd's that always properly identify and/or qualify sp ed students and then implement the IEP as written.

    Ideally, the related service would be a recommendation in one or more professional and sd evaluations and all IEP members would agree to it.

    When I brought this up related to difficult child and developing appropriate social skills, their recommendations was for parents to enroll him in baseball, karate, or boy scouts -- whatever alievated them from expending time or expense.

    difficult child was already in baseball and an after school program for just this reason -- developing social skills. I wanted a specific social skills program. "Oh, we do that everyday -- take advantage of each "teaching moment." ACK! with-mom pulling hair out. I just hate it when they act dense.....

    In my case, 20 referrals for hitting, yadda, yadda, "proved" the case. Well, not really. Social skills training was rejected more than once by sd because difficult child didn't need it. So finally I said something to the effect of, "Super. I feel so much better knowing that I won't be receiving anymore phone calls from you regarding referrals about inappropriate social behaviors."

    And actually, the sd reports and private reports had all recommended social skills training....

    Do some research with- key words like "equestrian IEP related service" and see if you can find something that will help answer your question. Also, I believe I've read something at on this topic.

    Just because an activity or training isn't on a related service list and is outside the norm doesn't mean it's not a "related service."
  3. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    Thanks, Sheila!! funny- I heard the EXACT same words from sd when I suggested a social skills class- and I mentioned that I was sure my son wasn't the only one who could benefit from it. I think it would greatly benefit difficult child next year as a freshman in high school- social skills or some fun group for kids on an iep with certain difficulties, or something.
  4. LittleDudesMom

    LittleDudesMom Well-Known Member Staff Member

    I actually mentioned this to difficult child's therapist in November. I told her it was a shame, with the high rate of need in my city's school district, that they don't offer social skills. They offer "teen living", and "life with family" stuff that they like to call social skills (beginning in middle school and it's really just a know yourself and question your family about their likes and dislikes kind of thing).

    I've heard the same kind of pat comments regarding karate or organized sports. Problem is, our difficult children don't socialize or read cues like typical kids and those programs are potential nightmares for all of us (parents and difficult children)!!

    Hope you can find something - good luck.