Should we help?

pasajes4

I do not know the law in Canada. In the state that I live in I could lose my house if drugs are found on the premises and be charged with a felony if I permit drug use on my property. I would not do well with CRAFT. It would seem that the parent has a huge burden placed on their shoulders. How long is CRAFT allowed to continue without the desired outcome.

Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
That is a very good question. We would allow him to use and be at home but not bring drugs home if and only if he agrees to go to in patient rehab and only if he agrees. We know he can't stop on his own. We will reinforce we do not condone this.
CRAFT is setting boundaries not punishing and allowing them to experience the natural consequences of their actions. Ergo why son was out of the house. He chose to be on the street and got arrested. He didn't go to his bail meeting and will now have bail rescinded. If he does not agree to in patient rehab he can not come home. Been there done that it's not working.

BloodiedButUnbowed

Sounds like a good plan. I know it is exhausting. You will get stronger the more you are tested. I am glad he is soon to be 18 and therefore, this won't last much longer as far as you and your husband being legally liable for him. I also hope that he gets clean sooner rather than later.

Littleboylost

Update
It's a fine balance. We met him at his hotel. It is a disgusting S?!&, hole they rent rooms by the hour ugh! And he looks like a train wreck. It took all of my energy not to break down into a puddle of tears but I didn't. He was surprised and said "aren't we going home?" We said no, you have one more night in your hotel because we do not want you to feel manipulated or pressured. He looked very sad. He appeared to be clear and present.

We went for a drive and got some coffees and sat in the parking lot and spoke. I expressed my concern for his new charges indicating that 1. If your with someone breaking into cars at 1:30 in the morning it is guilt by association. No one will believe you didn't know what was gong on or weren't a part of it. 2. You have no idea what this kid has said about you. 3. Your bail has been rescinded by the youth association and the courts will not look favourably on this. It is the second time your bail has been rescinded. At this he was shocked and said, "I forgot to go to my meeting." We said yes you did even though we reminded you and your rehab counsellor reminded you. 4. The police and everyone else who had contact with you felt you were under the infuence of drugs. Your rehab counsellor even kept your papers from the police because she felt you were out of it and would probably lose them. I said I know you deny taking any drugs, but the courts aren't going to believe you, and that is a breach of bail as well. 5. We are now at 5 outstanding charges and the history of 4 other offences that were taken care of by youth diversion.

At this he hung his head and started to cry. We put his options on the table and said if he was to choose in patient rehab and if we could begin he process of admissions before the police pull him into custody, it would look far better. It would look less reactive and more genuine. It would be far easier than asking the courts to release him in order to pursue this. We told him it is very difficult to ask for rehab as opposed to jail time in the court systems. And most likely with all of the charges against him the crown would be asking for jail time or a whole lot of probation. We stressed that there is no way that any judge is going to go easy on him.
We also said it is very iffy that he will get out on bail again and may well be held until his trial date/s

We told him that Portage/rehab, dealt with the courts and would help him.

We told him no matter what he chose to do that we loved him and he would always be a part of our lives, but if he chose not to go to rehab he could not come home. Tears were dropping off his chin not his manipulative allegator tears. No defiance, no reactions just silent sad real tears. I have no idea how we kept it together but we did. We told him if he did not agree to in patient rehab, he would need to go to the Shelter until such time as the police pick him up. He would need to continue with his Application for the social assistance/school plan. He said he didn't want that. We said good because at the rate you are going there are only 3 outcomes, Death, Jail or Rehab.

He asked if he was doing ok when a bed became available would he still have to go. We said let's cross that bridge when we come to it (the answer will be absolutely). He said "I can stop the drugs I know I can." We reviewed again just the last 6 months of hell. He didn't argue or comment. We said we beleive you can stop too, you just need help.

We reviewed the house rules and indicated that we would be doing mandatory drug testing. We said zero tolerance for drugs or paraphernalia in our home. We said if he tested positive we would not ask him to leave, but it would reinforce his need for in patient help, he actually agreed.

When we dropped him off he said please be here tomorrow to pick me up at 11:00 bring the consent form with you, I will sign it. HOPE!!

One step closer but many moving parts. I am sooo exhausted! As is my husband. I was very proud of us. This is not easy stuff. I wanted to grab him and bring him home scrub him clean and cuddle him.

Let's hope he doest go off the rails tonight!

I plan to ask the crown to include in his bail bond that he must attend and complete his in Patient program at Portage or elsewhere. We will express that this is the only way we will agree to bail him out. That is if they will allow bail. Rediculously they most likely will.

I pray to the universe that:

He signs the consent tomorrow.
He gets picked up and spends some time in lock up sooner than later.
A bed becomes available in 4 weeks not 16!
He embraces the program and succeeds.

He appears very sad and broken, there was no more cockiness or arrogance to be seen. We were all so composed it was a first for that!

ColleenB

I am so glad he seems to see that there are real consequences and you are offering him real hope.

I imagine how hard it must have been to leave him there. I would probably have brought him home, so I think you did amazing. It is better he makes the decision and has the night to realize it, it makes it so you are serious and he knows it.

Take a breath and give yourself credit for being so strong.

I think he sounds sincere. I think you have given him such a great chance for recovery.

Teriobe

No use to going to rehab if he has a warrant. Theyll just go in a get him. Should take care if the warrant first thing, turn himself in. His lawyer can ask judge to reduce charges if he goes to rehab

Littleboylost

No use to going to rehab if he has a warrant. Theyll just go in a get him. Should take care if the warrant first thing, turn himself in. His lawyer can ask judge to reduce charges if he goes to rehab
Absolutely correct T. H elbows he will be going in lock up once the Warrants are processed. He can either turn himself over or play more games. The rehab bed won't be available for 1-4 months. He has to consent so we can start the application process.

Littleboylost

Absolutely correct T. H elbows he will be going in lock up once the Warrants are processed. He can either turn himself over or play more games. The rehab bed won't be available for 1-4 months. He has to consent so we can start the application process.
That is he knows not elbows ...weird.

Littleboylost

Currently he has no lawyer and was turned down for legal aid. We sure aren't paying for one for him.

Littleboylost

Picked up son he looks terrible. He is a bungee and I don't think he has been doing anything ergo the tiredness.
It is going to be a long haul from here. I will try my best to ignore him when he is using and praise and engage him if he appears to be sober. He is very clear no rehab no none no home address no bail. It is up to him to accept the support and help or not.

Back to living with money keys and valuables locked up. Zero trust and no expectations. Hope but no expectations.

Teriobe

Picked up son he looks terrible. He is a bungee and I don't think he has been doing anything ergo the tiredness.
It is going to be a long haul from here. I will try my best to ignore him when he is using and praise and engage him if he appears to be sober. He is very clear no rehab no none no home address no bail. It is up to him to accept the support and help or not.

Back to living with money keys and valuables locked up. Zero trust and no expectations. Hope but no expectations.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Stay strong. This is so hard. We've been down this road so many time. Same but different.

It's a start.

Littleboylost

Question should we provide cigarettes for him. I was thinking cheap if we do tobacco and roll your owns. I hate that he smokes. He is broke. Clearly can't work or hold down a job until after rehab. His out patient rehab counsellor suggested he not work and reduce school attendance to a minimum while dealing with courts and waiting for rehab to start.

We are not big drinkers and I was clearing out the liquor cabinet last evening with the intentions of taking the alcohol to a friend. We discovered the 4 bottle of hard liquor that were in the cupboard were all almost empty and only one had been open by us. Sons sat and denied, denied, denied. How sad. We had 2 canned alcoholic beverages in the fridge from the cottage. He asked for them. I put them down the sink. I don't intend to have any liquor in the house wile he is here.

I am really hoping the police pick him up soon. It will reinforce what is really happening for him.

We discovered he had changed his address with his bail officer tocone of his friends house. Not sure if the parent even knew this happened. He had some belongings stored at this kids house but clearly was not staying there. I am so tire.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Do what you feel is best. My son only smoked cigarettes when he was using. I am a former smoker myself and think they are gross. My son said he hates cigarettes and alcohol. WHAT? You could have fooled me.

Not surprised AT ALL by what you find in alcohol cabinet.

I do hope he goes soon too. This is going to suck for you guys. We are not trained on how to handle this.

Littleboylost

Do what you feel is best. My son only smoked cigarettes when he was using. I am a former smoker myself and think they are gross. My son said he hates cigarettes and alcohol. WHAT? You could have fooled me.

Not surprised AT ALL by what you find in alcohol cabinet.

I do hope he goes soon too. This is going to suck for you guys. We are not trained on how to handle this.
Exactly. I am a mom not a jailer or a rehab counsellor. I am so sick of sleeping with a locked door and all money and car keys under secure lock. A big part of me just wants to scream get out and fend for yourself you did this not us. I take deep breaths and try to stay calm. Pray for a bed to come available sooner than later. Or maybe the courts will mandate that he remain in lock up until a rehab bed is available. If he is exposed to criminal element and learns from them how to be worse that is his choice. If what he sees deters him from this life again his choice. I doubt they will keep him on until a bed is a available. Sign.