Spine Treatment Question

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Hound dog, Feb 14, 2009.

  1. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    Evidently K's husband has a bad back. I don't know the diagnosis or anything. She just asked a question I couldn't answer. Seems he went to the doctor last week in an awful shape. doctor said the only way for pain relief is to inject something between the discs in his back. (I'm guessing steroids or pain medication?)

    Her husband is scared to have it done and wanted to know if it does any good? evidently he's a type of guy who won't ask a doctor questions. And K was too ill to go with him this time.

    I don't know much about this sort of thing. What I do know is probably outdated 20 yrs. But I do know we have members with back issues, so thought I'd get you're opinions.

  2. Andy

    Andy Active Member

    If you are not opposed to chiropractors, I would suggest seeking an opinion of one. I don't think regular docs ever refer to chiros and reg docs and chiros have different ways of looking at things.

    Then K's husband would have a few options to consider. I have gone to chiros for years and never think of going to a reg doctor for back problems. I think reg docs are too quick to surgery or painful injections.

    Also, if one choice ever comes to back surgery, make sure they give you the percentage of success. When my husband was given that option, he was told it had only a 50% chance of success. He opted to not do surgery and worked very diligently on the exercises he was given. It took over a year but I believe his back is where it should be.
  3. Marcie Mac

    Marcie Mac Just Plain Ole Tired

    I don't know if it is the same procedure that SO was told he should have by one doctor, then the actual doctor that does it said he wouldn't. They inject some sort of "cement" (don't know the actual name of the stuff but the description is accurate)between/in the joints in the spine to stop it collapsing further.

    SOs problem was with the injection in the joint - they would have to hammer a tube into the joint so they could get the stuff in, but SOs bones are way too chalk like to not have them shatter before they got it in.

    Apparently there is a high degree of success with this method - it just wasn't to be for him

  4. Lothlorien

    Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

    It sounds like you are describing epidural injections. He should first have an MRI and then an EMG/nerve conduction study. If the EMG/nerve conduction study is positive for radiculopathy, then epidural injections are appropriate. Radiculopathy is the ONLY indicator for these injections, so if he does not test positive and doctor still recommends them, then he should seek another physician. Docs get paid an enormous amount of money for these injections that take 10 minutes to perform (more than a 3 hour surgery for knee replacement), so these injections are big-time money makers and they are inappropriate without the proper diagnosis.

    If those tests come back negative, then I would highly suggest chiropractic treatments and/or physical therapy.
  5. Hound dog

    Hound dog Nana's are Beautiful

    Thanks guys. I don't have much info.....and I don't think K does either because her husband didn't ask questions and she couldn't be there to do it for him. So I'm not exactly sure what the injection was supposed to be for. So I'll pass this info onto them.

  6. TerryJ2

    TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

    There are way to many questions here to know what's going on.
    Are they intending to inject a form of cement, a form of prednisone, or a pain killer?

    Does he have a decreased disc space between the vertebrae?
    Does the pain radiate down his leg?
  7. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    There are different things they inject into the back. My mom has a narrowing of the canal in her spine and has been having the epidural steroid injections with a fair amt of success. I had one in my neck and it put me into agony for a 14 day migraine (you may remember my whining and the doctor's refusal to even address it on the phone!) - but mine was for a blown disc.

    Sometimes when a disc is collapsing they can inject gunk into the cartilage that re-inflates it so that it works properly. My xSIL had that done on several discs in her lower back after a car crash. It has helped.

    Whatever is wrong, I hope he can get some relief soon. They sure have had a lot thrown at them, haven't they?

    Gentle hugs to you!
  8. ctmom05

    ctmom05 Member


    My husband has been suffering with serious back issues. He had an MRI which showed multiple areas of concern; degenerative dics is part of it. Thursday he had a cortisone shot, hopefully to alleviate the pain.

    It is abour 48 hours post shot and my husband says he is still in a tremendous amount of pain. It may be like other medications, that it help some and not others.

    I would hesitate to take any kind of injection to the back without complete diagnostics first.
  9. Nomad

    Nomad Guest

    We are going through this here NOW...degenerative disks, etc. husband had some minor, very temporary relief with acupuncture.

    This is the protocol (in order) and for some people it helps...others it does NOT:
    1. analgesic oral pain medications
    2. cortisone injections
    3. epidural injections
    4. back surgery

    I've been a little concerned about the bills we have been receiving for the MRI's and those epidural shots...super expensive!

    I tell you this, what helps my husband is the following:
    Aleeve oral liquid gels and SALONPAS PATCHES!
    I ain't kidding around.
    If these things don't take it down a notch and he absolutely MUST get somewhere, he takes 1/2 a tablet of a strong pain prescription pain reliever. However, he really tries NOT to take those things.
    Be sure to take your vitamins...and wear comfortable, supportive shoes.

    husband is seriously considering surgery very soon.

    HONESTLY, ask a pharmacist who carries SALAN PAS about them. They are also available at amazon.com.
    Read some opinions here:
    Lasted edited by : Feb 14, 2009
  10. susiestar

    susiestar Roll With It

    Salon Pas patches can be quite helpful. Walgreens carries them and often has sales. They are less expensive than many of the patches available here.

    Just be sure to read the ingredients. I have an allergy to menthol and some of the patches have menthol in them. Others have capsaicin - the stuff that makes peppers hot - in them.

    I have found help from capsaicin LOTION. The cream is hard to apply because it won't wash off if you get it on your hands. The lotion comes in an applicator bottle and stays where you put it and soaks in easily.

    I hope this helps some.
  11. Kjs

    Kjs Guest

    I am watching this thread also. husband had numb leg and arm. After a ton of testing it was determined he has a bulging disk in his back and neck. (I just recently found out it was in his neck too. He didn't tell me) but he did have the epidural injections. Still in pain.
  12. ctmom05

    ctmom05 Member

    I would imagine with this SalonPas product you do not use them at the very same time you are using other pain relief products, due to possible interactions?
  13. TerryJ2

    TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

    I'm thinking that the patches are similar to what husband uses at his clinic, but they contain Chinese herbs. They smell to high heaven! But they really work.
    I have used them at the same time I have taken OTC medications and everything was fine. But it's always wise to read the ingredients and make sure you don't have allergies.