Squatters

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Honestly I think I would call the media and not worry about IF the squatters get mad or do something worse. There isn't much worse they can do.

I think people NEED to know these types of things go on and you may even be able to help someone that has a similar situation just to "be aware" this can happen to them. I think most people would be in SHOCK.

So upset by this happening to you!

Copabanana

Do you know these peoples' names who are occupying the place? Are they on parole or probation? How can we find out their names of these predators? What about a private detective to find out their history? If it can be established that this is their criminal MO, can't this help? If we knew their names we could find them in a database.

I would thinking about consulting with attorneys, criminal and real estate, and maybe even disability law. This is above the paralegal's paygrade. It's not just an eviction issue. It is a criminal issue.

Your daughter has been abused. She has been targeted and preyed upon.

Nomad. Turn this over to attorneys. You and your husband can't handle this. Nobody could.

Nomad

Staff member
We know their names. We got them from the police from when they pulled the knife. They both have many convictions…he is a felon with a long rap sheet.

Our attorney said they can write it up to evict them and anyone else in there. Well…at least that’s what the secretary said.

Our daughter shows zero remorse. Shockingly so. She had promised she wouldn’t have overnight guests, she signed a lease with us saying she wouldn’t do this amd broke hoa rules. The entire building is stressed; particularly the young woman who lives next door who has been so good to her. Her father is putting up cameras. We offered to pay for half.

We are pulling away from her. It’s not a good situation. We are done.

Copabanana

We know their names. We got them from the police from when they pulled the knife. They both have many convictions…he is a felon with a long rap sheet.
I am going to look into whether there is a public database for people on parole. If I find anything I will PM you.

Copabanana

We are done.
Over and over you have shown so much care for her and empathy demonstrated in so many ways. I know she appreciates it. Clearly she appreciated the apartment. I feel sorry for her, as I do for my own son. I know what it feels like to be done, Nomad.

MissLulu

Nomad, I’m so sad for you. I’m sorry to hear it’s gotten even worse since I was last here. I’ll continue to pray for you xx

Nomad

Staff member
since we have their names, we looked up the county police reports. He has 30 plus misdemeanors and she is similar. BUT he also has 11 felony convictions.

Deni D

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass.
Staff member
I have experience with squatters. If there is no water in the toilet, they pee on the floor. If there is no electricity they light fires. Their big guns are bigger.
Ugh, yeah, this is true of people who have no limit to what they could do. The man involved seems like he very well could be one of those.

since we have their names, we looked up the county police reports. He has 30 plus misdemeanors and she is similar. BUT he also has 11 felony convictions.
Which makes what the police allowed when they were called even more of an issue. They had to have gotten this info on them.

BusynMember1

I went in the internet to read about this. Seems all states have different laws on squatting. Please look up your own state. What others can do may not be what you can do. All the laws are crazy by the way.

Call your congresspeople...we have. But we got no results at all... depends I
guess on who they are.

I am glad I don't live in a total squatter friendly state where they can sleep in our car!!!! What is WRONG with this country???

Keep us on top of things.

Nomad

Staff member
I had given my daughter a Coach purse. The HOA president took a photo of the woman freeloader walking around wearing it.

My friend a realtor, told me she has inquired. This law is steadfast snd sickening. Her broker told her that we need to offer them a few thousand dollars for them to go peacefully and voluntarily. We have lost all our rights. He heard of a case where they offered 5K and the criminals would not leave.

She told me she has also heard of mega destruction they caused…the likes of which I can’t even type out as I might start crying.

We have inquired about this from several attorneys and police…all said we are screwed. Only an eviction will get them out. But the offer thing can work. We did make an offer, but they refused. We are going to call the attorney Monday to get a better understanding of the offer concept.

We have GREATLY limited our contact with her. It’s awful. This might be the worst thing that has ever happened yet with her.

I had once warned her about this. I didn’t know all the details, but said that there is such a thing as “squatters rights” that occurs at thirty days. She had a person claim this once before…even though technically it probably was not thirty days. But the police didn’t know for sure and sided with the freeloader. The criminals have ALL the rights in this case. That was a helluva difficult situation , but we got her out.

Our state is a reasonable and some might say respected snd desired state with people flocking here from all over the country. In drives. The last year has been insane. To my shock, her unit has greatly increased in value. My realtor friend told me. I didn’t know.

But this law is bothersome. I will contact the Governor when I catch my breath.

She doesn’t learn. I thought her intellect, the fact that she really liked this place and her respect for us would help. Obviously I was wrong. She doesn’t think she is sick. We are beside ourselves.

I put in a call to the local mental health office there stating it was urgent snd they never called back. Wth? I’ll call back Monday. I’d like to find out about supervision and / or group homes. But we know she won’t be open to these things.

I thank you for your communication. We are in tremendous emotional pain.

Last edited:

Copabanana

Her broker told her that we need to offer them a few thousand dollars for them to go peacefully and voluntarily.
This situation is really helping me learn a lot of things, sadly. I bought the house I live in during the real estate downturn. There was a woman on my block who was a squatter. She seemed like a regular, middle class person. (Little did I know.) She paid the utilities and nobody questioned her right to do so. The house was foreclosed upon and she maintained residency for several years. I heard that the bank that owned the house paid her many thousands of dollars to leave. I never knew why. Now I do.

Also, about 5 years ago I bought an income property for a price way below the market, because squatters were occupying it. I mean I bought it for just over half price. We didn't know these laws!! Had I known them I would have been afraid. But what we did was assume that they had no rights and we became the squatters. I am actually quivering with fear about what could have happened. People would just climb in windows when we were there. It was scary but I could never have handled it, had I known these people had rights. Who would have guessed it? (I am glad this is anonymous.)

I agree very much with the idea of negotiating with them, but I would do it through an attorney, not directly. You already have a bottom line that the squatter gave you--a month in a hotel and half the deposit on a trailer. That sounds like he's willing to settle for 3 to 5k.

Very little could be worse than this going on and on until they're evicted. If you can, I would cut my losses--unless you are able to get them out if his parole is revoked. I think he is on parole.
I put in a call to the local mental health office there stating it was urgent snd they never called back. Wth? I’ll call back Monday. I’d like to find out about supervision and / or group homes. But we know she won’t be open to these things
Your daughter has free choice. She has greatly delimited her options, like so many of our children, who find it so very hard to learn from experience. Your daughter amazes me by how much support and understanding she has from people around her, including where she lives right now. I am only watching this from afar, but I would not feel responsibility to scout out or arrange alternative living arrangements for her, unless and until she comes to you and asks for help.

From my own experience it all leads to ruin, when I try to "fix things." My ruin. I would focus only on what you're willing to do, and leave the rest to her. It sounds like what you're willing to do right now is to continuing being payee for her, and to supplement for necessary medical things.

Local mental health offices are not full-service places. In my own experience they operate on a crisis mentality, which is to say, their resources and capabilities are thin, in flux, and they're in crisis. They do not tend to respond well or comprehensively to any particular person who needs them. That is my experience with my son, and also when I worked there.

Most important and urgent is the pain you're in right now. In the main, is it a sense of betrayal by her? A sense of helplessness, anger, and violation due to the actions and attitudes of the squatters? Fear of the unknown, that is, how much worse it could get? Fear, regret and worry about your daughter, the sense that she has torpedoed your efforts to help her, what now will happen to you, and how that will affect you? Or something else? I think it's important to know the source(s) of your suffering, because that way you can take the actions that will remediate it.

AppleCori

What about the unauthorized use of your daughter’s bank card? Theft of the purse?

Seems to me that even if I had a paying roommate with a valid lease, they still couldn’t use my bank card or take my belongings.

And they couldn’t destroy my home or threaten me.

Is there anything they can be arrested for?

How did we get to the place that you have to pay a ransom to get your own stuff back? That criminals are rewarded for crime?

I’m just in shock at this whole situation. It sounds more like a movie, not reality.

I hope you can get some peace while this plays out. It will eventually be over.

Nomad

Staff member
We got a great lead on that. The previous bad charge literally indicated no information. She cancelled the card. He just made an attempted charge. Attempted theft. This time it recorded everything. His name, what he was trying to buy and the amount. If he is on probabtion…this is good. Will find out soon about probation. Either way…we will report it. This is a positive.