surviving rebuilding after emotional affair

Jena

thanks i appreciate that, the support here is always sooo great, also insightful alot of times as well. When we're close to an issue either our own health, or difficult child issues, or personal stuff like this one we can't often see certain things due to the level of emotional attachment, yet throwing it out here gives opportunity to see different perspectives, more "out of the box" type of thoughts.......

i'm usually an in the box, black and white type of person. My own diagnosis so far ptsd and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) therapist says that has alot to do with it.

:)

Jena

hi.......ok so i've spent days upon days trying to think my way through this one.......i know on paper it seems like the logical answer screams out, and yes it totally does. yet we went through the emotional end of it blah blah me getting upset about it, him trying to re explain what happened to me. i strongly do not believe it got physical at all. yet him talking to her to begin with was very very wrong.

and what others have said is very true we never had trust. its kinda hard making big life changing decisions like this. i've made my mistakes in past and i want to make sure i don't make anymore. at least not huge ones...........

so we kinda discussed stuff to an extent he's still waiting on my answer yet says it sounds to me that you have made up your mind, etc. i said look your never home you work almost all the time i don't even have a partner to experience life with like i would if i wanted to bother dating someone. i experience it alone likea single person. yes we see eachother without kids two nights a mos. other two nights a mos are spent with my kids doing something and the other two nighs a week he's off is spent with all 5. yet if we wre married for years and already had a life a marriage etc. then ok ofcourse you don't run and you do what you have to do. yet we have never even experienced going out to dinner with friends, or any of hte normal things people do or experience together and that's besides all the trust issues or lack thereof. just looking at that alone and having to wait up till midnight 4 nights out of the week is depressing and tiring.

i know you guys must think he's horrible he's just not healed yet from his long standing marriage and had no business making a life with me and kids.

so he said he'd leave and he even said he'd cover the bills here fora few mos till i can geta work thing under control around difficult child's ongoing issues, he'd let me keep the new truck and he'd live at his dad's so there's no rent to pay so he can cover this one for a few months. i'm told by my t not to think of down the road yet i do. i think of the tmrws as well as right now and basically he's a good guy, yet a non existant guy with his business, as well as someone who has lied alot.

sure he says he'll happily go to therapy with me do whatever it takes, etc, etc because he loves me. yet he just wants an answer. yea sorry venting as usual in here.....yet i'm not afraid to admit im at a serious crossroads now and this decision will have a very large impact on difficult child. she is happy with his kids, she looks forward to mondays and wednesdays with them, she even looks forward to when he comes home on tuesdays at 6 and brings dinner from restaraunt and we sit together just the four of us and have dinner and rent a movie or a few times we went out to eat with them and did a movie. we all know how crucial routine is to our kids. she said to me once we have always been a triangle (meaning just me her sister and her), then she said but i'm happy that we are now a quad something lol (meaning 7 sides) hence him and i and 5 kids. i'm feeilng a bit guilty with this right now.

Jena

JoG
I forgot to add this a while ago, if you come back on this thread I hope you see this...you are soo soo right the nail the head comment lol. that is exactly what my therapist said he's got issues after ex left him. she was very very very needy. she was gone and he stopped feeling like a man hence constantly needs to feel like he's helping someone, a woman. that was so insightful of you

Star*

call 911........call 911
the fact that i sat up waiting for him to come home quote]

That to me says it ALL right there -

WHY do you wait?
What is going to change between you if you wait?
Why would he ask you to wait - if he loved YOU he would be THERE! end of story.

How much of his emotional garbage are you going to buy and blame it on "I'm staying here for the kid?"

(hello)

THIS IS NOT HEALTHY FOR THE KID -

NOT AT ALL -

NO MATTER HOW YOU TWIST IT TO FIT YOUR DAY -

It's an excuse -

GET ON WITH YOUR LIFE _ and GET A LIFE.....

You can live on your own...oh wait - you basically are....

And you can say "But Star, you're old and you this and you that and I love him and (sock puppet insert here) and yeah - I'd listen but when it ALL comes to the table - IF HE LOVED YOU? IF HE CARED FOR YOU? IF HE WAS CONCERNED FOR YOUR SON - HE WOULD HAVE LEFT LONG AGO AND GONE WITH HER.....

HE didn't - and (humbly bows) he's getting the best of both worlds here dear. One person pets his ego - the other....is you. And WOW why would you stay?

I think it would be interesting if just once (maybe not you) but someone who was in this predicament or similar actually went about their lives, and fixed a place for theirselves and their kids - and let him come home one day from making googly eyes at work - and you and the kid, and the nails in the WALLS were gone....no forwarding address.

And then you could sit back - and be invisible - and see if it really bothered him that you were gone - OR if he walked in - saw it all gone and hit the redial on the cell phone to call her that you had solved not only HIS problems once again - but your own by going and getting yourself.......

A LIFE....that YOU make, YOU create, YOU invent, YOU determine what is good for you......not a guy who is cheating on you.

Call it whatever you want - emotional cheating I think you called it. It's CHEATING - and he's not going to stop...with her......and the trust is gone.....and you're not even married.......and if it isn't her...WHO will you have to worry about in a month/week/year - ? Your trust is GONE - and he's STILL seeing her? UGH>>>>>Let's get some of Marcies Nicaraguan coffee okay?

You're a wonderful person Jen - You need to find out how to make yourself believe it....and do NOT tell me you Do.....because if YOU cared about YOURSELF - you wouldn't be hanging out waiting for scraps from him .

NO MORE SCRAP!!!! NO MORE SCRAPS!!!!!

YOU DESERVE TOP SHELF!!!!!

GO GET IT!

Hugs, love and fury hath no hell like me scorned.....(get ya some!)
Star

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
JoG
I forgot to add this a while ago, if you come back on this thread I hope you see this...you are soo soo right the nail the head comment lol. that is exactly what my therapist said he's got issues after ex left him. she was very very very needy. she was gone and he stopped feeling like a man hence constantly needs to feel like he's helping someone, a woman. that was so insightful of you

Not so much 'insightful' at all. I married a rescuer. He's a wonderful man, but not without his own warts (just like me).

Our trick was to figure out if our marriage/relationship was a strong enough foundation to withstand all of life's pitfalls. We had our committment to one another tested and came out the other side. We renewed our private vows to one another. We gave it another go. Because H had always seemed so strong, like such a manly man, I couldn't see his vulnerabilities and weaknesses unless they were directly related to me and hurt me. I needed to learn acceptance...and H needed to make a very strong promise of committment and renew his loyalty to me. We aren't done doing those things yet. I don't think a marriage is ever 'done' - I think it's a lifetime of effort and you never quite arrive...you just keep learning and growing, if you're with the right person. We've both done enough for us to know ours is worth working at and sticking with. I needed to appreciate him more and he needed to be more expressive and vulnerable in front of me. He never wanted me to see that he was needy or weak or scared or stressed. It always came out either in anger or in unacceptable behaviors.

No one can know exactly which skeletons in each of your closets are the problems affecting you today, Jennifer, but each of you knows which ones you will allow to interfere with your relationship.

It's very easy for those of us who have been there and done that to tell you that you can do it, you are strong and how what has happened in our lives can be used as your guide. But ultimately, only you know what you need to do, what you're capable of and in your own time.

About a year before I left my exh, my sister and I were talking long distance and she said, "Just leave" and I asked, "But where will I go, what about all my stuff?" and she said, "When you're ready, nothing else except getting out will matter to you" and we never spoke of it again. A year later, as I was taking my boxes of clothes from the house, I realized that she was so right. I left with my clothes, my girls, my bed and my stereo. I didn't even take a fork or my baking pans, no dresser, no furniture, no nothing. I left with nothing but myself, my daughters and my dignity.

When you're at that point, you will know. In the meantime, remember to take time out for yourself and be true. Hugs~

Jena

Star

You are too much, it's clearly been way way too long conversing with you!!!!! :) you really are soo sweet and full of hell!!!

I see your point trust me im not in the "bad boy" mode anymore........

I wait up because he closes the store late, i don't wait up because hes with other woman, that would truly be sooo sooo bad!!

He did emotional cheating yes i do not believe it was anything more than that. He needs a whole lot of therapy and to be honest we spent a long time today talking and just being honest with eachother. I said to him, yes you have done alot of great things for kids and I, partly due to your love for me, greatly due to your need to be needed by a woman and oh boy was i a mes and needy well over a year ago!!!! he's paid for testing for difficult child, bought me a new truck, pays our bills (rent here), bought kids school clothes for school, etc.

yet due to his challenges and there are soo many the need to be needed which leads him to save every other woman under the sun, his lying to cover up what he does and cover his tracks, the whole thing. so he said well what do you mean? i said well i'm not sure at this point other than i've done alot of my work and i do more and more everyday yet you wow your going to take years to get past your stuff.

it's just too much i think. i want to be happy before i'm 50 in a relationship with someone. and right now 40 is around the corner and according to my records you needa lot of help. i will not lie to you i do love him, and will miss him terribly if i do this.

i'm truly not taking scraps though, i entered into something that i shouldnt' of, i can use excuse of difficult child's issues, financial their all true yet at end of day i am totally responsible for my decisions in life be them good or bad.

he is always where he's supposed to be, yes he drove home waitress chic 3 times as per him could of been a whole lot more who knows...

it's partly due to difficult child's stability at this point, and partly due to my love for him, that i'm wavering a bit. i am just scared i think with no job right now and i do not want to make a mistake.

:)

Jena

hi to everyone,

so, i've steered clear of this thread for a few days in order to think, process, take the time to truly address this issue instead of just venting it and not properly taking the time that was needed to "gut" myself out and get my true wants, needs, and view our relationship as a whole.

so i did just that. I also did some fact checking, may seem silly yet i had to know for myself the truths of the tails that were handed to me, etc. Long story short this was infact an ex girlfriend of his friend with whom they all worked together, his friend dumped her she became very explosive in the store and my boyfriend was asked by his friend to step in and hopefully add some light to the situation and calm. yet the talks between them gravitated and became more and more.

Realizations of this person, young girl were realized. when boyfriend finally cut all ties after realizing that she was obviously after a whole lot more than a friend and shoulder to cry on, they began talking in november her pajama gift and love letter of which he did not open were given in dec. and by feb. she handed him the card stating that she wanted to be with him, etc. on and on. he then fired her at that point. she became employed by another rest in the area. the papers read this way an emotionally unstable young waitress according to both customers, owner, and staff and a waitor of which she stalked there filed rape charges against the owner of hte rest with whom allowed her to "cry on his shoulder" as well, and allowed her and a girlfriend to have one drink one night while cleaning up. the allegations were investigated, the owner was quoted as saying i was just trying to be nice she was a troubled girl i am married with two children she called, and texted, harrassed me prior to this, and did same to a waitor here at our bus. it got to the point where i had to fire her once i did so these allegations were made. long story short investigation was held by local police she was not raped, nothing could be proven the staff and her supposed friend stated such all charges were dropped the bus. slowly began to go under it seems to be regaining strength now, etc. etc.

he stopped talking to her in may. i addressed it back then yet new info came to light recently which sent me reeling and questioning what it is i am in, previous trust issues as well.

after speaking to boyfriend at length, his therapist, my therapist and me taking a whole lot oftime to view the entire situation this is what i found......

i chose a man with whom now openly admits as well his need to be needed by woman as we already stated, when i am busy with my own stuff and life and someone comes into his zone of which is extremely needy it strokes his ego to be needed and forfills their emotional need. so very wrong. trust was violated, i was lied to, overall not good situation. yet here is what i have found. i have faced several challenges this year myself a trauma from my childhood emerged at boyfriend's prompting to get it out so i could handle it he knew it was there yet i wasn't sure of it. he was the one with whom held me through it, sat up all night holding me through the nightmares and flashbacks, also yes helped tremendously with difficult child on countless occassions whether it was to awaken me the nights i crashed because i could stay up any longer, or to assist in paying for the hospital bill, or to rearrange his children's schedule to suit our home needs better. he has also gone out of his way for me on many occassion as a person should in a relationship yet beyond hte call of duty more than one time to say the least.

at the end of my day when difficult child has depleted me emotionally he is always there to lend an ear sit wtih our cup of tea help me weed through my thoughts, of not only the abuse i suffered yet of how to proceed with difficult child, what to do, etc. when my family disowned me last year which hurt the kids and i tremendously he was by my side, held my hand through it, even made attempts of his own to reconcile my family and myself. he never goes out ever maybe twice if memory serves me, he rushes home at the end of each day to make sure that i'm not scared he's doing something" horrifying", and calls onteh way to ask what it is i need and want tea, food, aspirin, etc. he has sat countless times in that truck with me at the end of his day in the middle of the nigth covered in food from cooking all night sitting there even yawning to listen to me vent.

so this isn't an issue of me not thinking i deserve better at all. i'm in tact, have alot more growing to do but i am in tact. i think it's an issue of recognizing whether there's anything left to build from between us, whether the hurt and lies and betrayal can be forgiven and if we can find the trust that never existed adn build the foundation that is incredibly rocky.

here is why i think i should give it one more shot. he accepts me for who i am, not who he wants me to be. he knows all of my weakness and he knows all of my strengths, he doens't ask me to change who i am to fit his needs he only changes his needs to fit my abilities right now. he has displayed even through what went on and the bad choices that he made that he does infact care for me and is willing now to let down his guard truly and actually state yes i have alot of work to do alot of therapy and i will try my best to overcome it. this may not work or it may. he is very well aware that i may not want this in a few weeks if it is too taxing and hard. we have made provisions so taht if that does occur i will have this place for my kids and i and he will have somewhere to go.

i sat last night with him and the kids reading it's what we do on mondays and wednesdays together before bed. i still can get that pit of the stomach feeling that i love him when i watch him sit there reading, joking with the kids. i still get that feeling when he looks at me the way he does and smiles.

whether or not these are viable reasons to push it for another few weeks or a mos. i do not know. i just know i have to make this choice for me, what i want where i will be the best person i can be for difficult child's and for myself. i too have alot of work ahead of me i'm still not healed from my trauma, i don't think it'll ever be over but i fight and struggle everyday adn always will. that has also taken it's toll on us and possibly created alot of stress on him, besides the financial of me leaving my job several mos ago.

so overall that's where i am. i have to follow my gut on this one. yet i made the decision with an open mind alot of information and a clear head. either way i know i will be fine and my kids. it's just strange getting to see all of this and than realizing that alot of what it is that made me fall in love with him is alot of the reasons that prompted what he did. maybe doesn't make sense but it's his own personal issue of needing to be needed accompanied with his genorosity of always want to help. yet yes he made very bad choices and we are going to require counseling, i go weekly so does he yet now it's going to require joint counseling. he sold one of the rest. to try and get more of a cash flow for us and to open up more time for him so taht we can have some assemblance of a normal relationship. that was in teh works yet he surprised me with the news just a few days ago.

anyway ok difficult child's are off today and i had to lock myself in a room just to go online lol. by the way difficult child is back to sleeping off the herbal thing and brushing.

all of you are amazing

hugs to all of you

Jena

also i know that i have all of your support with the choice i have made. i can only say that i don't hope that it works, i hope that it all turns out however it's supposed to. i was reminded by a friend the other night in an email i never do for me either. i don't take care of me so thats another huge priority. i started very smal yesterday by removing myself once kids were in bed and actually reading a magazine. small yet a start.another very important reason for this choice is it was not done with intent to hurt me even though it did so very badly, it was him not being fully healed with his own issues and him not addressing it and realizing it. his track record of 18 years is pretty steady to say hte least as well he wasn't the cheater or womanizer, he was the guy who went to work for 18 hours a day and supplied them with all they required and needed. let's just see if he can resurrect that man once again. i think we all deserve a few chances. he's got his final one and knows it. we're going to give it through the holdiays that is what i agreed to to decide if we are going to make it. unless ofcourse he does the unthinkable again and makes a bad choice then im out.

Jennifer,

I wish you and your boyfriend all the best and the strength to move forward. It's a decision only you can make because you're the only one that is in the situation. Don't ever feel like you need to justify your decision aboout your relationship - regardless of what it is.

It sounds like you've really taken the time to think things through to determine what is best for you and your family right now.

Marguerite

Jennifer, I hope this works out. Your description of this girl only confirms my own views expressed earlier - your boyfriend, being of the 'rescuer' mould, walked right into a spiderweb trap set by an unstable woman who played the 'needy' card to get the only sort of attention she accepts and therefore craves. And when her own sick fantasies fail to materialise, she attacks a bloke in his most vulnerable place and accuses often the nicest blokes of the worst crimes, purely in her own desperation for love.

YOU deserve to be happy. Your boyfriend was (as far as I could see) never seeing her in any way as a love object. You filled that niche. But her neediness (which she put on like a robe) was what dragged him in to a pattern of deceit which she prompted and set up.

I've seen blokes get caught like this before. You're lucky (or, more likely, boyfriend is lucky) that she never made accusations against him (other than her sick call to you). Her aim was to break you up so he would take her on. He never would have, she wouldn't have accepted that.

She has lost. Not only that, she never could have won.

He was still there for you, still loving you, still valuing you. But you seemed strong. She seemed weak and needy. Now he's had a very harsh, sharp lesson. Counselling is good because it teaches him how he was so vulnerable to this.

You have a good man, I think. A fool at times, but I think he knows this right now. He has a good woman and I think he never forgot this.

Marg

Jena

marg

we shall see. i never say never in this life anymore. He was more than a bloke he was deceitful and lied and that's my issue. to be quite honest to me i wouldn't care what he did with her, my issue is with the lies. as i said he might be a good guy at the end of the day, i believe he is. yet his own issues may override our ability to have a happy and full life together. i do believe quite strongly that i will be able to see very soon how that all pans out.

for my own self preservation i'm being realistic with the level of healing of which he has to encounter and work on his own, and also the ability to identify his needs and share those with me, his partner as opposed to allowing them to be utilized by the next cute waitress that comes in the door. that's his own personal work. i can't control that one at all.

so we shall see. for now i have decided i think with a clear head on giving it another shot, yet brief to be frank. i'm not prepared mentally for another challenging year. he knows now he's on thin ice, he accepts and takes responsiblity for his actions and his own issues yet difficult child is too challenging to be able to give more than a can to a person with whom may have a very long road ahead of healing to do. i would imagine after an 18 year marriage 3 kids, house, etc. and her turning gay on him there are alot of "him" issues there especially regarding his ego.

but for now i'm willing to give it a go because i do love him, yet as well all know it takes more than love to life a life together. :)

thanks for all your input and kind words and honest thoughts. this is always been such a safe place for me to go instead of screaming :)

Last edited: