took difficult child to court today

he got 12 mo probation which is longer than i expected. But I'm happy, this seems like it will really be a help to me. He has a 6 pm curfew, has to take down his facebook and can't have any matches, knives, lighters and has to do outpatient drug treatment and anger mgmt classes. And best of all; I think all i have to do is call up and report any violations and he is thrown back in juvie! He is happy to be off home supervision.

A

AmericanGirl

Sounds like progress. I know 12 months is a long time but maybe the time will help him to make lasting changes.

DDD

How I sincerely hope that this will help him "get it". Sending supportive thoughts and hugs. DDD

S

Signorina

Sounds really hopeful and it takes the heat off of you!

I hope this is a turning point.

So i have let difficult child go out skateboarding on his first two days of parole with 6:00 curfew, first day he returned at 5:59, today 6:00! If he comes back late one time should I lock the door and call the cops?

InsaneCdn

Change the definition of "be home"... as in, he has to be home with enough time to spare to put his gear away (skateboard, bike, ball glove, whatever...) BEFORE the deadline. Walking in the door at 6:00 doesn't count, in my books. Walking in consistently at 5:57 AND getting stuff away in two minutes flat? Fair, even if its hard on your nerves.

Check HIS watch/cell phone BEFORE he leaves, so you are both on the same "time". It's not fair if his says 5:59 and your says 6:01.

S

Signorina

With all of my kids-be home "BEFORE" midnight had a much more timely result than be home "AT" midnight.

Sounds silly but saying "before xxx" worked like a charm.

exhausted

We are having success here as well. I wish we had the Facebook retriction-although she is ordered to follow all of our rules and requests.
I am glad he is doing well and you are too! :)