Update: psychiatrist called for difficult child 1

gcvmom

Here we go again!
He wants him to come in this Thursday morning to talk to him further about all the garbage that's been going on with his behavior, but there's no way we can make it unless husband goes into work really late that day and takes the other two kids to school.

As it turns out, we already had an appointment on the books for the following week, so we'll just have to wait until then. The problem seems to be episodic, so I guess we'll just see how things go until we get in there.

Oh, and I finally pulled my little ostrich head out of the sand to look at semester grades last night. difficult child 1 blew off a 100pt project and 50pt oral report in one of his elective classes the last week of the semester, and earned himself a "D" in that class. And he managed to pull a "D-" in his other elective class (web design -- ironic 'cuz he really liked it and wants to do programming when he's older... may have to rethink that!).

I'm putting him on a very, very tight academic leash now. All homework has to go through me each night and there can be NO late assignments. I decided not to completely pull his gameboy since that's one of the few things he likes to do. He may have it ONLY on the weekends providing there are no late assignments during the week. And although husband wants to make him drop lacrosse, his GPA is not low enough for the school to care about it so I'm not going to take that away either. He has so little social interaction with other kids that I think he needs to keep doing this.

Oh yeah, and difficult child 2 failed honors language arts again. No idea what the school's going to do about that. They put him on academic probation for that class at the end of Q1. Somehow I just can't bring myself to care a whole lot about that class when all his other grades are reasonable. A lot of this is the teacher in my opinion. Plus, it's middle school. I'm not going to stroke out over it.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Hey chicken lady ~ I'm glad that psychiatrist called you & you were able to update him/her on the situation.

I have to say that academics were never a high priority when kt or wm were unstable. They weren't in a place when they could learn given their illness/disorders.

SD worked with us on the basics (my intellectually brilliant children are in 10th grade but still operate around 5th to 6th grade). We have emotional supports for the tweedles & one on one tutoring. Saying that, they are still behind - may be for the rest of their lives.

I'm not saying this about difficult child 1 - just want to remind you of the priorities right now. Life will move on.

(((((hugs)))))

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thank you, Linda. Sometimes in the heat of things it's easy to get priorities dislocated!

I went to school to pick difficult child 1 up to go to lacrosse practice and he got out to the car about 15 minutes late. Turns out he'd been in the bathroom since lunchtime and missed all of 5th period. He's had IBS issues a lot lately on top of all the behavioral junk. :( Nothing's ever simple and straightforward, is it?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
husband just called and said he could cover the other two kids Thursday morning, so I called psychiatrist back to see if the slot was still open. They've already offered it to another patient but they haven't heard back from them and said they'll let me know tomorrow...