We went...

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
to the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) Christmas party for difficult child 2. I went and got him some pj pants and a shirt and new socks and underwear. I forgot to get him some slippers but will do that later on. I had told myself to just do the party and not think of last night, tommorow nothing of that sort. Just be there for those 2 hours. After we had been there about 10 minutes he started asking when we are going to leave. I let it go for about an hour and a half. Then I asked him if he wanted us there. He said yeah and for the last bit we were there he stopped asking.

We had a pretty good time. Not sure how he felt about the gifts (one never knows). He said he wanted a Wii. I said he couldn't have one there so we just wouldn't do that at this time. He let that go too. I was impressed.

He still doesn't know that he is coming home on the 26th for a couple hours. That is going to remain a surprise. Not based on behavior either as it is the rest of his Christmas present. The one essentially from all of us (parents, staff etc). I am terrified of that day but like this one we will take it in stride and move on from there.

I chalk this up to one of the better Christmas moments with him.

Beth

Wiped Out

Staff member
Beth,
I'm glad the visit went well. I remember when my difficult child was in the psychiatric hospital. He was always asking us if we were going to leave. I think it's great he stopped asking after you said something about it.

Will be keeping you in my thoughts on the 26th. Hope all goes well. Hugs.

ggluvbug

I hope you don't mind me asking....how does the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) work for your child? He doesn't get to be at home at all?

meowbunny

I'm glad it was decent, safe visit. Hope the 26th goes as well.

That he didn't keep pushing is pretty impressive. It sounds like he is learning something and growing a bit.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Beth,

So glad to hear that the visit went well....I so understand the "too unsafe to be home" statement. It fits wm to a tee.

Your attitude is beautiful - one day at a time. You can't predict the future & can't undo the past. Keeping you in my thoughts for the 26th. by the way, that's our day to have the tdocs serve us lunch & we open our gifts as a family. It will only be a couple of hours as well.

Sound familiar? :wink:

Thanks for the positive update.