Weird anti freeze smell

L

Liahona

This is the 4th time its happened. There is no anti-freeze in this house does anyone know what it could be. It starts in the front room and the smell takes over the whole house. Thank goodness its warmer out now and we can open windows.

No I can't go to the landlord because he is clueless about fixing things. And he wouldn't do anything anyway.

We have about 1 yr before husband is done with school and we can move.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
When does the smell show up? When it gets warmer or colder, when the fan/furnace/AC kicks on...?

L

Liahona

It started to show up after the landlord painted over a moldy spot to get rid of the mold. I know that is not how to get rid of mold. Don't get me started on the landlord.

It comes from the living room. There is a swap cooler in there. It has been warming up here, in the 40's to high 60's. it isn't affected by a heater coming on because the heater hasn't been coming on. No plumbing in the room. There is an outside water spigot on the other side of one of the walls. We don't use natural gas.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Most likely? I'm going to guess it's the smell of the mold.

And I think there is a type of "paint" you can use to both cover mold and kill it...........and I don't think it smells good. But if that faucet is leaking, which is likely where the mold came from, you've probably got new mold growth.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I'm betting it's the mold too. It can make you quite sick -- I know the landlord is cluieless, but I'd insist he have a professional come remove the mold and check out the source.

Last edited:

InsaneCdn

If it's mold... then you can't afford to spend a "year" there. Painting over mold only temporarily hides the evidence. They have to get to the source of the problem. Are you in a house? or apartment building? If it's an apartment, then this isn't just affecting you... it will affect the whole building, and if it isn't dealt with, can result in the building being declared unsafe for occupancy...

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
When we lived in Maine, critters died and decomposed in the walls. The odor was sweet at first, then changed to rotting onions. Also google the smell of bedbugs. Sure hope you don't have THAT problem!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
The paint that will stop mold is called KILZ. However, if it isn't dealt with before painting, it's pointless, especially if there is a water leak.

Mold is so bad that to get rid of it, the people that clean wear masks. And aspirators. Since it is spring, the mold is probably blooming and that's where the sweetish smell would be coming from (if that is it).

Check laws in your state but, when we had a serious mold issue on the windows in our apartment, we sent the rental office a certified letter that gave them notice that effective imnmediately we were holding our rent in escrow until it was fixed properly. This could go for the smell, as well. Keep in mind that if it is something a child stuffed in a vent... It could end up costing you. Check that first.

DDD

I don't want to add to your stress..........but I agree with the others. in my humble opinion it could seriously endanger the kids. DDD