What is your dream job?

Tiapet

Old Hand
Originally I thought as a little girl all I wanted to do was Cosmotology. I realized that wasn't what I wanted thankfully before it was time to decide. My love is travel so I went to school to be a travel agent or work in the travel field. Ugh! Learning thousands upon thousands of codes and such and things you would not suspect you need to know about airplanes, etc for international and domestic travel (hotels, etc too). I got certified for that but unfortunately at that time it was a catch 22. Everyone wanted experience but no one was willing to give it! Now a days people can do many things for themselves and in the years leading up to it I've done so many other kinds of work on the spectrum from your everyday waitressing/banquet waitressing early on to all levels of clerical work up to administrative assistant/accounts receiveable/bookkeeping.

My very last job was pretty close to, not necessarily a dream job, but an ideal job. I traveled. I would go to the job site and stay all week and come home weekends. I had my room and per diem for meals, my gas paid and was paid very well (for these times) for my work. It WAS very stressful and demanding but I loved it. It could be kind of monotonous as well at times doing the same "type" of thing but it overall was not monotonous since locations and details changed. What I did was go in and audit files for the government at different county cys/cps & juvenile justice locations at locations.

It involved reading through case files to figure out if the county filled out their government forms properly when applying for funding. When doing that you had to figure out who was in the household at the time. It's like playing detective/puzzle solver. Pretty cool. The stressful part was deadlines, quotas/time frames they expected you to do this in (and it was hard since you may have a small file to go through or years of files plus have to go to court house and research documents or locate missing documents in files- sometimes they turn up in random files too). More importantly, some of the stress was emotional too but over time you developed some immunity to it as you read stories of horror of abuse, SEVERE abuse in some cases of these kids!

It truly was a love/hate type of job but I really do have to say overall I did love it! :)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
When I was little, my plan was to adopt 14 children and live in a big house and change lives for the better. Well, we know that didn't happen. I remember telling my mom and her laughing right in my face! Hahaha.

I would love to be a private detective or criminal investigator...however, I don't think either of those would be good for my psyche.

I would also love to be an event planner...I love coordinating things and I'm good at it, as well as negotiating pricing, etc. I think it would be fun to work with various types of people, helping them realize their dreams or developing their ideas into reality. I think it would be very rewarding, even if that meant I had to deal with the occasional Bridezilla!!!

I would also love to write a book.

Jody

I would love to raise Golden Retirevers and stay at home and garden, and then sell my fruits and vegetable at a stand.

BusynMember

I would love to run either an orphanage for very poor or deprived children, and make sure those kids are treated like human beings who deserve love, or to own and run an animal rescue and sanctuary, like the one that took in Michael Vick's poor dogs. Nothing would make me happier. There is no other third job that has ever been my dream.

svengandhi

Janet -

You have a college degree, law school is just 3 or 4 more. As Dear Abby/Ann Landers said to the person who asked if they should spend 7 years going to medical school when they'd be 7 years older at the end - if you don't go, you'll still be 7 years older, you just won't be a doctor. If you can get your health issues under control (and, by the way, my 88 year old mother in law just had a hip replacement and is out of her wheelchair), look for a job with an insurance company. Many have SIU units which investigate fraud, your background and experience may be a big asset.

Nancy -

I am second seating a trial, sort of, for the first time ever. It is so hard, I need to velcro my butt to the seat. The funny thing is my H is really outgoing, charismatic, etc. and did one trial ever, where he almost pooped his pants from fear. I am the quiet, introverted, withdrawn one but I am a good trial attorney. I really love the medical parts the most.

Nancy

Good luck svengandhi hope you get your own trial soon, nothing like getting thrown to the wolves. husband sat second chair to his boss/mentor a couple times only and then boss told him no need to do that anymore, he was ready. Trial lawyers are a special breed. I have always been so impressed with how they can argue with the other side and walk out shaking hands. husband turned down several other job offers after law school to be able to work in this particular firm because he knew he could start doing trial work right away instead of sitting behind a desk or in the library. Now he is the managing partner in that same firm that gave him his first chance.

svengandhi

Nancy -

I've been trying cases on my own since 1985. This is the first time I've ever held second seat - it's usually not done in my line of work. My boss asked me to sit in with a peer because she thinks he's a little cavalier and the case is potentially a high 6 figure to 7 figures. It's hard to shut up. I'm an out of the seat objector and my colleague misses some objections so I have to keep whispering to him so he'll stand up. It's a good thing that this particular guy really is very mellow and laid back and doesn't seem to mind. We are the same age and have been practicing the same amount of time but I do have more trial experience with heavier cases than he has. I've always worked for insurance companies because you can get better trials and have a life. I've avoided management because I'm not interested in it although I do plan to post for managing attorney when the current guy retires.