Witnessed a horrible thing today

JKF

Today on my way to pick up easy child from school I came upon a police car in the middle of the road blocking traffic. At the time I was the only car on the road so I stopped about 10 feet from the police car and saw a police officer holding a struggling deer on the side of the road. It was in one if those noose type contraptions they use on wild animals. A minute later the animal control officer pulled up and they chatted for a minute. Suddenly the first officer started dragging the struggling deer across the street towards the woods. He then pulled out his pistol, aimed and shot it right in the head! Right there in front of me! I was absolutely horrified! I still can't believe I saw that and can't get the image of that deer and the sound of the gun shooting it out of my head. I'm so glad I didn't have my easy child in the car. He would have been traumatized. I know I was (and still am!) Uggggh!!!

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

svengandhi

That is sad and disturbing. Is it possible that the deer had been hit by a car or otherwise injured and was shot to put it out of its pain because there was nothing else that could be done? It could have had internal injuries that don't outwardly bleed.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Oh JFK I am sorry you had to witness that on top of your concerns about difficult child. Geez, of all the streets you could have been driving on........

Many years ago when my daughter was a little girl and I was living in Connecticut, I was driving through a wooded area and I hit a small deer. I had my daughter and my younger sister in the car (sister was about 11) I freaked out and a woman came out from a house and said she saw it and called 911. A CT. state trooper showed up and I parked the car with the kids far away and went to talk to him. He asked me if I wanted the deer since the law was whoever killed the deer got to keep him. I said no of course not, I want it taken to a vet I will pay for it. He said, the deer is injured. As I was standing there talking to the woman, he walked over and shot the deer in the head. I almost passed out. I was traumatized, no warning, no conversation, just killed the animal. I couldn't stop crying and the woman was very sweet to me. I pulled it together and went back to the kids who were so concerned. I told them a big lie, I said the deer was taken to the animal hospital and he would be fine. We left.

It took me a long time to get that out of my brain so I so understand how you feel JKF. I am sorry. Do whatever you can to push that image out of your mind. And, perhaps like with my deer, the animal may have been injured and you came upon the scene at the end where there was nothing they could do for it.

Sending a big hug for you JKF.

JKF

I'm sure it was injured and that's why he shot it but it was just such a brutal, unexpected scene to encounter on my drive home. I didn't expect to see an animal get shot in the head right in front of me. It shocked and disturbed me. I've never seen anything get shot before. Not in real life anyway. It's something I never want to witness again in my life. And RE - Thanks for sharing your story with me and for the hugs! I appreciate it very much!!

TerryJ2

I definitely agree it was injured, but to see and hear that is horrible. I am so sorry. What a horrid image. Poor deer. And poor you.
I saw a short movie once in Wash, Difficult Child, by PETA, showing how animals are killed for their skins. It was set up on the grassy mall between the Monument and Capitol, and a graphic film like that was the last thing I expected. It was about 10 seconds long and I will not describe it, but I will have that image burned in my mind and heart forever. I totally get where you are coming from.
{hugs}

DammitJanet

The deer was definitely injured or they would have taken it out to the woods. This is part of Jamie's job.

Im sure Im gonna freak everyone out when I tell you I would have been begging to take the deer home with me. That would have given us more meat. I have a huge freezer with several deer in it. We live for hunting season to put meat in the freezer. I rarely have to buy beef.

I used to be like you guys and be all freaked out but over the years I have learned. Now I despise people who only hunt for the trophy horns. We eat everything we kill. Well, not vermin.

I will slither off while you guys think I am awful...lol

nlj

That's so awful. I presume that the deer was injured and so was a danger to people and traffic. I would phone the police department and get some more information about why the police acted as they did. It may put your mind at rest. It's true Janet that there is no difference between killing farmed animals for mass meat production and hunting wild animals for meat. I prefer to eat 'game' as at least I think it has had a natural life and has had a chance. But I think the issue here is, that to witness such a shocking event when just randomly driving to school, would be traumatic for most people and I think the police officers should have provided some explanation and warning to witnesses.

DammitJanet

Most cops do attempt to take the animal off the roadway. Or at least I know Jamie does but he has had to do what was done to many animals. Dogs that were so bad off there was no saving them and they were in major pain, deer, even cows and horses. The most amazing animals end up in the middle of some major roads.

Calamity Jane

I'm sorry you saw that, JKF. We were once driving on the Palisades Parkway, and just as we were driving past a police officer and a deer on the side of the road, he also shot the deer. I think it was a State Trooper. I was behind the wheel, it was dark, and I almost lost my mind. Thank God the kids weren't in the car. I suppose, JKF, it is merciful to put the deer down, as it couldn't be rehabilitated. I said 2 prayers that night; one for the deer, and the other for the Statie who has to do that as part of his job. I'm projecting here, but I don't think it's the most pleasant thing to do. I'm so sorry you had to see that, with all that's going on in your life.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry that you were so upset by seeing that. I am glad your kids did not see it. I would have had a problem with this if my kids saw it and possibly even if I saw it, simply because of the abruptness of it.

The deer had to be wounded. Police won't kill an animal for no reason. Many people do not know this, but deer are INCREDIBLY hard to treat for injuries. They do not tolerate medications well, even minor procedures can easily kill them, and they are incredibly dangerous to humans. Deer in captivity kill an astonishing number of people each year, and many of those are the vets and caretakers trying to help them heal. Given the dismal success rate of veterinary interventions for injured deer, it is often kinder for the deer and safer for the humans to humanely kill the deer.

Janet, I don't fault you one bit for being the sort to ask for the meat. It is just good stewardship to not let the meat and hide and other useable parts be used instead of rotting away. It could feed a struggling family for quite a long time.

The sudden shooting would likely upset me because it isn't something I see often or ever want to see. But the cops probably didn't have other options. I just hope that someone gets the meat and hide to use. I know our city cops and sheriff's deputies have a list of people that they will offer the animal to if a deer or similar animal is hit by a car and found right away. Some of the families who are really struggling find this to be a real blessing.

JKF

That's exactly what it was - the abruptness of it. I was totally taken by surprise and to see something alive one minute and the next shot and killed in front of me was really upsetting. And Janet - I don't think you're horrible at all for thinking that way. I eat meat. I know things get killed and butchered to feed people and I accept that as a part of life. It just took me by surprise because it was so brutal and unexpected and that's what upset me the most.

I know the officer did what he had to do. He didn't look happy about doing it. He briefly hesitated twice before the shooting and I felt bad for him. I would hate to have that job!

dstc_99

Around here they have a place where the animals people don't want to eat can be donated. The meat is then given to those in need. I would hope the police would participate in that type of thing.

Also while I know Janet is right I too would have been shocked to witness
It. I guess unlike most my ky breathren the killing part is something I would rather not witness. Lol

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sad that you had to see such a scene and sad that it needed to be done. ((hugs))

Yet, like Janet, I'd have asked for the deer (and would have been given it) so at least the meat would not have been wasted.

Fred had to witness such a thing twice. He drove an hour on rural highway to work one way. He hit too many deer for my comfort. Because he knew to watch for them in the wee hours of the mornings he would not drive as fast as the speed limit through certain areas. Twice though, he didn't just graze the deer......and the sheriff had to come put them out of their misery. Both times the guy asked Fred if he'd like the meat, but being on his way to work taking it wasn't possible. Here there is a list of people willing to take the deer such as these and use them for food/hides.

I do have to say though, that folks around here wouldn't be hitting so darn many deer if they'd cull them better via hunting seasons.

I nearly hit a herd of them right smack in the middle of town one night on my way home from work! I have a herd that walks down the street as if they own the place and like to graze (unfortunately) in my front yard because they can't get to the back yard since I keep the gate locked. And Maggie, true to her shepard blood wants to herd them so darn bad she goes totally bonkers when they're outside. omg I nearly hit one in my own driveway for Pete's sake!

Of course I'm also one who think geese need to return to being culled via hunting as well. Their populations are out of control in this area.

DammitJanet

I have to tell a somewhat unfortunate story that happened to us years ago when my boys were in middle to late elementary school.

One day we were going over to someone's house and right in the middle of a two lane country road we found a puppy that had obviously been seriously hit by a vehicle. Those people didnt even stop. We slowed down to see how the puppy was and he was paralyzed from the neck down. He couldnt even crawl out of the road. Tony went into the trunk of our car and got a tool to just put the pup out of its misery. The pup had no collar so I assume it was one of the stray's people dump out in the rural areas. Tony was able to handle this with very little effort. (Im trying to be delicate here!)

Well Jamie was in the car with us and he went into hysterics. He was crying so hard that we went back home and I gave him an anxiety medication just to get him to calm down.

Now fast forward all these years and he is now the one who has no issues with doing this. In fact most of the time he is the one who is called in to euthanize pets at the shelter when there is no other option. I would have never dreamed he would do this for a living!