About that bad tooth...

klmno

Some of you may recall me complaining about a bad tooth that would get infection and be extrememly painful off and on for the past few years. I never had it extracted because I can't deal with being awake during dental procedures like that and it would have cost nearly $1000 out of pocket to be nearly "out" for it. They told me it would never fall out on it's own- uhmmm- it did when I was flossing my teeth tonight. It was the rear molar (my wisdom teeth had been cut out years ago due to being impacted). So now I have a 'hole' there and a call into some dental place that might or might not call back. It hasn't bled at all and doesn't really hurt. So I'm wondering- do I really need to do anything about this and willk the 'hole' close up like any other cut or wound that isn't bleeding? I'd rinse with peroxyl but I'm scared to death that it could be excruciating.

Tiapet

Old Hand
I've had the same thing. The hole has closed over somewhat. In fact I have places where some teeth have broken off and are partially left in. Nothing has happened to either, so far. Some of them are many years old.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You risk infection with the roots that can go systemic........ at least until the gums grow over I would imagine. Or did you see roots too?

I know some folks are going to be doing the omg thing......but honestly, until very recent history folks only went to "dentists" to remove teeth they couldn't handle on their own. (absessed and the like) So if it's not currently infected (and that is what you need to know), it probably will be ok once the gum grows back over the area to protect it.

I had a wisdom tooth they'd attempted to extract. Stupid because they knew for a fact the one on the other sides roots were wrapped around the jaw bone.........and yeah, so splitting the tooth and everything, dentist couldn't extract it for the life of him. And after sitting through what amounted to a torture session for I dunno how many hours (pain medications didn't touch it) when it didn't hurt, I didn't bother having someone else try to pull the darn thing. Fast forward 16 yrs and it was really bothering me. Ok, what was left was bothering me......or I thought it was. Turned out to be the molar in front of it......dentist filling that one didn't even ask if I wanted the wisdom tooth out....he just sort of nudged it and out it came. poof. Rather miserable way to do it though honestly. I hate the dentist, and I dread it like anything........but if I'm in pain, it's going to get something done, pulling or not. Thankfully I only have 4 left to worry about. LOL

klmno

Oh - the roots came out with it. The tooth and two "prongs" of roots were fine- the third looked like- YUK! Still, it looked whole and not broken off. The dentist had said the cause was degeneration of the bone and that my teeth are fine but may someday be in a glass on my bedtable. LOL! (I know- that's really not funny seeing as how I endured wearing braces, having wisdom teeth cut out, always kept my teeth clean and have spent countless visits to a dentist to make sure of it.)

I googled and read about this- from what I found online, it could be caused by getting the wisdom teeth cut out which can cause the molars to shift and leeave deep pockets that are almost impossible to keep clean and that eventually leads to the degeneration of the bone around the tooth. That sounds reasonable and it was a couple of years after getting the wisdom teeth cut out that I first heard I had this problem. Plus, I had a problem grinding my teeth in my sleep when the worst years with E and the custody battle with my half-bro were in full force and the dentist said that contributed. We (the dentist and I) were able to keep the pockets clean enough for 20 years before I started hearing that too much bone was getting lost around the back molars. This was the first tooth lost over it. I just looked at E when it fell out and said "well, that just saved me about $900". LOL! And those roots were LONG- no wonder it took a few years for it to fall out!

The article I read said if a molar is lost and an infill not put in, the problem can cause shifting in surrounding teeth (top and bottom) and result in loss of more and more teeth. I'm not liking that.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Odd. Never had that issue. And molars were the first of my teeth to go.........one at a time. I never even had wisdom buds for the top.

Now I won't wear the bridge the dentist made me when he did the top denture because exactly what I told him would happen did.......the wire fastener thing broke the molar enamel one day. (not even very long after I started using them) Made me really mad. And I said forget it. I do without.......making do with the 4 in the front and the 1 molar and the denture. Front teeth had moved a little bit in 2 yrs......they were very cramped together to begin with. But I was not asking my mom for more cash to pay him again when this is why I didn't want a bridge in the first place. ugh.

tiredmommy

See about an implant or some such. I lost a lower molar and didn't get an implant because I naively thought it would be okay once my other teeth "spread out". Unfortunately, it messed up my bite which led to more grinding and more tooth damage (and pain).

klmno

Ouch! This tooth would get ****-eyed sometimes as it loosened and nothing was more annoying than when it would mess up my bite. Fortunately (depending on how you look at it) the tooth was so loose I could push it back into place, gradually. I guess I'm thinking dental insurance won't cover any cost for an implant but I'll check and see. Then, I'll have to see if I can pay more for a 'knock-out" since I'm such a whimp and absolutely cannot follow thru with any procedure if I've just seen that dentist's needle coming toward my face. (The long-term side effect of having a dentist hit a nerve with a needle as a teen.)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Be sure to rinse with either Listerine (anti septic) or warm salt water to keep it clean while it's healing. Avoid putting any OTC pain medications like ambesol or the like-they irritate the tissue and make it take longer to heal!

I just had the first part of a replacement crown work done today-my gums are killing me!

Feel better!

TerryJ2

Well, in a sense, you're lucky that the roots came out.
But on the other hand, you do want it filled in, because the other teeth can definitely shift, plus, you don't want bone loss. That's the worst part. My cousin had that and it really changed the shape of her face (the sunken, old person look), plus, she wanted implants on top and bottom and could only do the bottom because the top was just too weak.
I agree, rinse with-some kind of antibacterial or warm salt water, if you're afraid of peroxide. I'd recommend those over peroxide anyway.
In the meantime, take calcium (you can get caramel, vanilla or choco chewables at the drug store) and keep chewing. You want to keep using the muscles and teeth to avoid more bone or tooth loss. You know how you have to do weight bearing exercise to keep your bones in shape? Same thing with-your teeth and jaw.
Just things I learned while tending to Cousin P ... :)
:getwell::doctor:

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I've had a massive amount of dental work done over the years, most recently an implant. Insurance does pay for them now. My insurance paid for half of the implant. After the implant you then have a crown put on it, which is another cost, both are covered by most insurance now.

Be careful rinsing the area, one issue to be aware of is called a dry socket. When a tooth is removed, a clot has to form in the area to begin the healing, if you rinse too hard, it can dislodge the clot and a dry socket is formed. That's why the dentists pack the area with gauze and ask you not to drink with a straw or rinse for awhile. If you get a dry socket they are painful, so I would go to the dentist if I were you and at least have someone check it.

If you don't fill in the area with another tooth you run the risk of creating 'pockets' where bacteria forms and in essence eats away the bone; the teeth move and the gums bleed, you can loose more teeth and gum disease takes over. There are dentists who specialize in people who are very afraid of dentists, you might look into that, they offer a more compassionate environment. One of my dentists has a sign in his office which says, "we cater to cowards." It makes me laugh, but he really does!

DammitJanet

I wish mine would just fall out! Save a ton of money. Tony has had one or two do that. We just thank our lucky stars. I never had any issues with dry sockets and if yours isnt bleeding and its at the very back, I think you are fine.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
For now... 1 teaspoon of salt in 8 oz of water, rinse 2x a day.

Later - get thee to the dentist!!!

Last July I had 2 teeth pulled - they were holding in a bridge, so now on the left I have a HUGE gap at the top. Dentist wants me to get implants... But I can't afford them. My insurance doesn't cover them, and in fact only covers about 10% of a crown.