Dog thing....HELP!

Lothlorien

Shelby keeps pooing in the dining room. If I have it blocked off, she'll whine to go out.

I literally let her out five minutes before and she pooed in the dining room. What gives???

I block it off, but like last night, I had let her out and she peed. I was doing something in the dining room and got a phone call. Within five minutes, she dumped in the dining room again. Arrrrrg?

Ideas please.....

TerryJ2

Two things.
One, is to go outside with-her for a longer time, on leash, and use a code word when she finally poops. "Go poopies!" then, "Good poopies," or whatever you chose.
Two, catch her in the act of pooping on the floor. That means you have to pretend to go out of the room when in fact, you are watching her, and close enough to run up and scare the you-know-what out of her. "NO!"
That combination, repeated often, should work. Maybe even in a week.
I've been through this b4. Not fun, that's for sure.:faint:

Lothlorien

Okay, yeah....forgot to say......she eats worms. She was a wild dog that they found with six other siblings running along the train tracks. SO, she eats worms. So, when I take her out on the leash, the entire time...I'm pulling her nose out of the grass because she's digging up earthworms. Ew...yeah I know really gross. Sorry if you are reading this and eating. She picks at her food all day and whines to go out, because she wants to dig up worms. UGH!

So, going out on the leash is not a fun thing. It's a royal PIA. I have to get her into dog training classes.

BUT, though she was a wild dog, she really is the sweetest thing and has adapted really well (other than the potty thing in my dining room!)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Loth, I'd still try Terry's suggestion. Or get a can and fill it with marbles and instead of just shouting no at her when you catch her shake the can too.

I have no idea about the worms..........unless perhaps you can find a dog food that she really takes to and eats well enough she isn't hungry for worms when she goes outside?? Maybe canned would work for a while? Could try the can trick when she attempts to dig up worms too. Might help.

In the meantime, I'd do my best to keep the diningroom off limits so it doesn't become a habit.

Lothlorien

puked up canned food. I, too, thought if she ate enough food and wasn't hungry, she'd stop eating worms. So, I gave her a little canned food (about 2tbs) with about a 1/4 cup of dog food and five minutes later she was upping it on my carpet. Thank GOD for the Bissel green steam machine!!!! Will try it in even smaller increments though.

I will keep a closer eye on her. We are using the marble idea (change in a chinese food container) to keep her off the couch and stop her from jumping. I'll have to keep a closer eye when I have the dining room open. I can never catch her in the act in there. She's a quick pooper! lol!

I keep the gate across the stairs too. For some odd reason, everything upstairs is a toy. She's has literally dragged the bathroom rug down the stairs. She's now a 15 pound dog, but at the time was a 12 pound dog that dragged a bath rug down the stairs. OMGosh....she is a trip. Underwear, socks, slippers (especially Missy's) and anything else she can get her little mouth on is up for grabs upstairs. Oy! This I can live with....the poop in the dining room is just making me bonkers though!

witzend

Bubba is getting older and having those troubles too. He's not allowed back into the house until he poops. It does mean that we have to go out there and watch him, and that's a pain.

I have to say, that the pooping in the house has been historically worse when there is something else wrong with him. Like just before he had the hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, he was really constipated and was going inside the house. If you can, you might want to take him to see the vet for a checkup. They told us that with Bubba it was because he was old, but with your dog it might be something else, and the dining room just may seem like the "right place" inside the house.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Witz makes a good point. Might want to make sure nothing is going on GI related too. This is going to sound gross, but Betsy only poos in the house if she has picked up worms. I do my utter best to keep the dogs wormed reg, but with school it's harder to keep track of time. Betsy never fails to remind me.........:sick: It's like they sort of make her loose and more inclined not to be able to hold it. Which also reminds me to check my calendar and see the last time I wormed them, I think it's about that time again. ugh