BusynMember

I have not found our healthcare such a problem. We can pick who we want to see and they do have Medicaid for those who can't afford insurance. I have it and I can see whomever I like. And I don't have to put up with overly busy psychiatrists or clueless psychologists. I can fire them and see another. When I first sought treatment for my son, he was seen every two weeks like clockwork. I don't think it is the system here as much as how you kind of have to vet each doctor and hope that you found a good one. It can be extremely tiring to switch doctors, but at least we can do it. In the mental health department, from what I've read, it seems that we have an edge over most other countries (not Canada). Seems like everything is thought of as ADHD...anyhow...

In this case, the therapist probably has the wrong personality for the field and should go seek help himself. And I agree with YOU, Star, on the play therapy. Never met anyone who was too happy with it. A very young child does better with interventions than therapy. I would definitely seek out another professional. JMO :)

Malika

In the States you have a lot of choice and possibility and also a lot of information and knowledge in the domain of mental health. On the other hand, doctors there are too quick (in my opinion, naturally) to give medications without sufficient exploration or caution. MWM - that is NOT an argument against medications in general and I quite accept that they are very valuable for many people! But I think you need to have your head screwed on there, inform yourself as much as possible, not take the "expert's" word at face value. And you need to do that here also because sometimes the "experts" do not seem that well informed!

JJJ

It is not accurate that being gifted means the school can ignore the other issues that interfere with his learning. Eventually, his behaviors will mean less and less time in the classroom, actually learning. I just spoke with a very frustrated parent whose high schooler got a 33 on the ACT but cannot attend college or get a job because his social skills are so out there (sits and rocks, mumbles lines from tv under his breath, ignores adults, etc). He is fighting the school now to address all of those issues. Start your fight now!!