Hurting other kids-- It Happened Again!

Steely

One more thing you might ask psychiatrist about is the medication Clonidine, which can be used for kids with severe ADHD, but is not a stimulant. It is the ONLY medication that has truly helped my son manage his impulsive anger outbursts - and I don't say that lightly. It is nothing short of a miracle in our house. Of course, in some kids I know it can cause other reactions - but since it is not a stimulant - and it is for ADHD it is worth talking to the psychiatrist about. (Plus it has the added benefit of not having the side effect of a suppressed appetite which I know had you also concerned.)

G

guest3

Having had my son beam a Gameboy game off a customers head while out shopping (because I would not buy it for him) I feel your pain. I am sitting home wanting to be out but not wanting to take difficult child II with me. But can't leave difficult child II home with d/h either (he does not believe in "fluff psycho babble" either, his words)

EB67

I am so grateful for your responses to this. I've said it before but I could say it a thousand times. I am so grateful to be able to turn to you wonderful, sympathetic, informed women who have walked in my shoes. Your advice and consollation is truly saving me. I appreciate it.

Here are some responses and replies:

Jannie said: "Have you worked with him on anger management strategies? We practiced breathing exercises...we used stress balls..."

I haven't but I'd like to. Can you (or anyone) talk about such techniques: how to learn about them, how to use them, when to use them?

Alisonglg asked: "What does Seb's psychiatrist have to say about this behavior?"

Seb's peer aggression is a fairly new issue and has exploded since our last visit. In the past he has had the odd "accident" when frustrated, but now it seems to be happening frequently. On his records there is no history of peer problems and in fact this was the one part of the puzzle that never really fit him until now. But oddly each and every "accident" has happened when Seb has been off medications for whatever reason.

We have an appointment with the behavioral neuro on July 12. I did talk to him on the phone yesterday though and he said that by all means, he should be on the Daytrana and it will either help or not help with the impusivity. We will discuss what other medications to add to the mix at our next meeting.

The behavioral neuro also has been pondeing Early Onset Bi-Polar (EOBP) and keeping it in mind but says he does not feel that Seb can be diagnosis'd with it presently.

SRL said: With my difficult child I have found the need to tie aggressive behavior to something he can understand in his world. He doesn't often catch the cause/effect/reasoning of mom is going to dole out a consequence because I've hurt someone because he rarely feels remorseful--he feels justified. He grasps it much better when he can see a relationship: mom takes away the Nintendo because the majority of the games are fighting games and if I can't handle my anger/aggression in real life than I'm not going to get to have this stuff on the screen.

I feel the same way. Which is why we took away his DS altogether. As for his gamecube, we took away all fighting games. We allowed him to keep things like snowboarding games and race car games, but nothing that involves battles or conforntations.

The thing about Seb is that he DOES feel remorseful, which seems to be significant to his doctors. Still, until his conduct improves he cannot have any games that simulate violence.

And SRL, if you can suggest some anger managemnet books for kids I'd so appreciate it. I found Seb googling ADHD resources the other day and reading about different management techniques for impulsive behavior.

Midwestmom said: Whether or not he has ADHD or more, imagine how it will be if he's older and is still hurting kids. I do think that he could use a re-evaluation. Second and third opinions were needed for us to get my son's diagnosis and treatment right."

I agree 100%. I am DESPERATE to have Seb re-evaluated by another doctor. His behavioral neuro is fantastic-- top of his field, published seminal books on the subject of syndrome mix... but I want the opinion of a neuro psychiatric and or psychiatrist too.
I firmly believe in my heart that Seb is Cyclothymic.

My problem is my husband who barely tolerates the frequent visits with the BN and barely accepts that there is a problem with Seb. Around here the appointments are around $500 and none of the doctors take insurance. husband thinks I over-pathologize Seb. Even now after these incidents he waves it off as: "This is what 7 year old boys do". NO. This is not what 7 year old boys do. And because I made "the feminine mistake" (another topic alotogether) and because Mister Big holds the purse strings, my hands are tied where it concerns Seb's care. This is eroding away our marriage.

Kris asked: i agree with-SRL. where is his responsibility in all this? where are his consequences? it's all well & good to say he has no impulse control, but how are you teaching him to gain control?

This is where I struggle to understand and to make the right parenting choices. I agree that Seb needs to be responsible and I try to make him accountable for his infractions (apologies, letters, loss of privledges...) The books and doctors tell me that it's not his fault that he has poor impulse control yet I force him to be accountable just the same. I know as a human that he has to take responsibility and gain control, I just can't figure out how to make it happen!!! I am struggling to! Believe me! How on earth can I teach him what to do next time when to him there is no next time????

If someone has the magic answer to this one, please, tell me. I'm desperate.

Oh and Kris, I like the physical task like moving logs. I'll try that.

Kris also asked: "i see in your profile that there are mood stabilization issues for difficult child. have you & psychiatrist ever discussed the use of an antipsychotic to try & curb this tendency toward violence? maybe it's time to trial a mood stabilizer?"

The docor said last time that he wanted to see if Seb's mood regulation improved by our next meeting (July 12). If not, he wants to start to add Depakote. husband is violently opposed. The man has his head firmly up his you know what where it concerns his "perfect" little son. Medication terrifies him.

Big Bad Kitty wrote: In short, I realized that Tink knew what she was doing, and was playing the sympathy card with me.

Yes, husband says that Seb plays me with the "I hate myself, I'm the worst person" sympathy card. Still, yes, it does get to me. I must be a sucker.

LittleDude's Mom said: don't think you should "fear" that there is something else terribly wrong with difficult child (although there could be comorbid diagnosis). This type of acting out/anger towards others, can go hand in hand with a highly impulsive kid (my difficult child's diagnosis was adhd-highly impulisive type). They react before they think it through. Afterwards, they know they were wrong, they know they acted inappropriately and they show remorse. That's a good thing. Kids that don't show remorse are another thing altogether.

This is EXACTLY what Seb's doctor says. While he is holding onto the "is it BiPolar (BP)?" card, he feels that the fact that Seb is ALWAYS remorseful suggests that the confrontations are due to his extreme impulsivity. Seb's "attacks" are reactive always, never pre-emptive. It doesn't make them okay. But the dr. feels that they lack the meaness associated with other diagnoses.

Little Dude's Mom, I am encouraged by your words. You also wrote: Make sure, not matter how tough the day or how wrong his behavior, that he knows before he closes his eyes that mom loves him and is glad that he is her son. It goes a really, really, really long way. I speak from personal experience.

I do this every day. To a fault if possible. Last night before he drifted off to sleep I held him and told him I loved him. He sat up, looked me squarely in the eyes and said: "I believe that you do. You understand me. I love you". So sad and sweet at the same time.

Argh, I need to go p/u Milo. I will reply to the other replies when I can get back online.

Again, you have been so helpful, I cannot express my gratitude enough.

BusynMember

Ella, I have bipolar and you are remorseful with bipolar too. VERY. I wanted to kill myself sometimes after I got into horrible arguments and said awful things to my parents because I felt so horrible about it. I wasn't one to do physical stuff to people. I would break things, but not hurt other people, but it still bothered me that I couldn't seem to control myself. I 'm not saying by any stretch that Seb has bipolar because I have no idea, but I know that with bipolar also comes extreme impulse control issues. You get furious in a matter of a nano-second and you can't help but react. At the same time, I do think even people who have disorders have to be accountable. Hopefully medications will help, once you decide which is the best medications. I am out-of-control reactive without my medication, although I can't take stimulants AT ALL. I would never, however, let him think that hitting is excusable because he has some disorder. The courts, when he gets older, will not care that he has ADHD or bipolar or anything. If he assaults somebody, he will be arrested, the same as anyone else.
Do you know what husband is so afraid of? Does your hub maybe have an underlying mental illness that he refuses to acknowledge or is it somewhere on his family tree? He doesn't do Seb any favors by not allowing him to be completely evaluated. Would he read this board?
I hope you can straighten things out. It took us forever to get the right diagnosis and treatment for our son, but it was so worth it. I hope he gets better soon!

Steely

Some great books for Seb to read about anger are:

Cool Cats - Calm Kids by Mary Williams
The Mad Family Gets Their Mads Out by Lynn Namka
Hot Stuff to Help Kids Chill Out by Jerry Wilde

All of these are written specifically for kids Seb's age and up. Hot Stuff is a workbook, and maybe written for a little older child - but given his reading skills, he probably would do fine with it.

EB67

Do you know what husband is so afraid of? Does your hub maybe have an underlying mental illness that he refuses to acknowledge or is it somewhere on his family tree? He doesn't do Seb any favors by not allowing him to be completely evaluated. Would he read this board?

It's not his family tree he's afraid of-- it's mine.

My mother is either bipolar or Borderline (BPD) or plain old NPD (has never shared a diagnosis with me but either description seems to fit)-- she has had a series of suicide attempts, inpatient stays. She is complicated, difficult and not well. I'm not sure what medication she takes, but whatever it is seems fairly ineffective. It is because I do not have a good mental illness role model in my own mother that I am especially afraid of the potential for Seb to be BiPolar (BP). And I realize that with my family history it is more than possible.

I've had my fair share of difficulties-- I had bad PPD after Seb was born. Then Seb and I were in the collapse of the WTC on 9/11 and I suffered severe PTSD (was more or less unable to function for the better part of a year but feel fine now). husband was of the snap-out-of-it school of nurturing after both depressive episodes. He has no patience for mental illness of any kind. And quite frankly, if it were easier, I'd leave him because at the moment, I loathe the man.

Whew.

And no, for the aforementioned reasons, he does not take any interest in this board, nor would he read it. Or any of the books on the subject of ADHD, Bipolar or anything else.

It isn't easy.

BusynMember

Wow. I feel badly for you, Ella. You don't have it easy trying to help your son with husband's attitude. I don't know what to say other than I hope he sees the light one day or that you are one day in a position to leave him, but that's not easy. I know first hand. Hugs. You're doing a lot for your son; the best you can with husband blocking your path.

SRL

Even if doctors don't take insurance, most decent plans should be reimbursing at least part of the cost when you submit the claims yourself.

Unless you find a medications solution, working on issues of aggression/social issues is usually a gradual process taking coming at it from various angles. Watch for teachable moments and situations in which you can help him relate to the "victim". Once my difficult child was bullied on the playground and while it was a miserable experience for him that I put a stop to the moment I realized how bad it was for him, I have referred back to that on numerous occasions when he's struck out at someone younger/smaller/less powerful.

The other thing to be on the watch for are news articles, etc of situations where people have been remorseful for a significant action, but that they've done something significant that can't be undone. No doubt my difficult child at his age and with his mindset can't imagine a situation in which he'd cause un-doable damage but if I read a news article about a drunk driver killing a family or a murder situation where the killer was later remorseful, he becomes quite angry. In talking about these things, I would never relate them to his behavior directly, but I do talk about how people do things that can't be undone no matter how sorry they are for them. I consider it another way of chipping away at the problem indirectly.

My difficult child is not one to feel sorry easy, nor is he inclined to apologize, and I've never pushed the apology. Occasionally he will and I usually suggest it but I think he'd easily grow a "just apologize and get Mom off my back" attitude. I'm hoping he'll mature in this area but I don't push it. I'd become extremely beligerent if forced to apologize for something I wasn't sorry for and I'm not nearly as strong willed as my difficult child. I also wouldn't force a difficult child who is not sorry to apologize because I think it is encouraging them to be dishonest.

Consequences have been one of the banes of my life with difficult child. My difficult child has an obsessive type personality due to the spectrumish wiring. A few years ago I realized that obsessions to him played a vital role in helping keep him balanced. For him obsessions are like a drug and either too much or too little throws him seriously out of whack. For that reason in his situation, I'm much more inclined to use limits than to pull his Nintendo entirely. I don't hesitate with my older son, but with difficult child pulling it totally for any but a short period would likely cause us more problems than the good we were trying to accomplish through the action. This is where knowing your kid is going to come into play because they all need different handling.

If I were you, I would start keeping a behavioral log.

One other thought to toss out to you: sometimes when you see increased problems such as this it's a sign that social skills problems are increasing. Sometimes children--especially those with ride the fence or atypical diagnoses--will get along okay in the social realm when they are young and the social demands are low. Then as social demands increase struggles will set in and intensify. I'm not sure this is what you're dealing with of course, but it would be worth watching for given that you are still searching. If this is the case you should be seeing more than impulsive physical overreactions when things don't gel with his expectations.

Hey, there! You don't "know" me; I haven't been on the site as much as I'd like lately. Just wanted to give you my vote of encouragement and good wishes. My little guy is 6.5 years and I'm watching every step. Yeah, it's depressing that my pals can just let their cubs go play in a pack and I have to watch mine every second because that fine line between having fun and acting inappropriately is crossed so readily. Although my son is bright, he's not yet able to have a serious conversation about anything.

One thing I found though -- all the explaining, discussing or even barking at the boy about issues doesn't work as well as one good visual or an article in the paper. Example: We had the run-across-the-street impulse more often than I can state. All those gentle explanations of getting hit by cars,the You're Going to Get Killed! yelling, the We're Going Home Now! consequences, etc. didn't get his attention nearly as well as a snarled "You run across the street like that and someday, a car is going to hit you and you'll be squished and I don't want a pancake-shaped boy, I want a boy-shaped boy!" I guess he liked the visual or something, because he followed that one through and understood that pancake-shaped boys don't play with their families or have candy or toys etc. Weird, but it was something for him to latch onto, I guess.

Then last summer, I showed him a story in the paper about a 5-year-old boy (his age then) who ran after an ice-cream truck and got hit by a car. I told him in a very sad voice that his family was very sad now that they didn't have their boy anymore and they missed him very much. I didn't say, That's going to be us someday if you don't stop running across the street, but the lesson actually sunk in. Just yesterday, he reminded me of the boy who got hit running after the ice-cream truck; I was surprised he remembered it after so long. He usually doesn't seem to remember anything from yesterday let alone a year. Anyway, he had the "pancake-shaped boy" visual + the ice cream truck boy to work with and it seems to have been the magic combination. Mind you, we still have running in the parking lot even though that results in pancake-shapedness as well; I guess I need to find a news story about that, too.

My little guy is on Lamictal and doing very well; the add-ons we tried for the impulsivity didn't do a thing (well, nothing positive, anyway) so we gave up on those. I haven't found the visual + story-he-can-relate-to combination for most social issues; I think it's because social situations are so variable and the triggers can be so subtle. I mean, he could (finally) get his head around "car barrelling down the road = pancake-shaped boy + sad family" but that's much harder to do with not whacking someone because they are being selfish with a ball.

Anyway, best wishes and good luck in finding ways that work for you.

Marguerite

Ella, on the subject of whether husband is afraid of some hidden psychiatric disorder from his side - you said, "husband was of the snap-out-of-it school of nurturing after both [my] depressive episodes."
I think this indicates he DOES have problems - those who refuse to acknowledge the fallout of PTSD or stress are the ones most likely to snap, because they have refused/removed all safety valves. The 9/11 thing - surely this had a major impact on him too, if only his fear for you and his son? Yet his coping strategy is one of "snap out of it" - this is denial, pure and simple. It also sounds fear-based, as if he is deathly afraid of showing any weakness and thereby giving his fears a reality. In his mind, denial is the best way to remove all possibility of problems, and the more you insist on being taken seriously, the more aggressively he insists that there is nothing wrong and you have to stop talking about "your pathological insistence on medicalising normal boy behaviour" (my quote marks).

Back to the original problem - Seb's reaction the first time was one of frustration and anger because his space had been disrespected. This other kid behaved like a bully, by deliberately crushing the bug Seb was carefully studying. This is controlling, bullying behaviour by the other boy (unfortunately, a common way for some boys this age to interact - but very inappropriate). Seb's reaction was anger, and disrespect for this boy. A sort of, "NOW how do YOU like it?"
To a certain extent husband is right - this is a fairly normal response for a boy this age, especially a boy with some level of poor impulse control (also not uncommon at this age). Where things got out of hand was when Seb went over the top and kept punching. He was REALLY angry, really upset and couldn't stop himself.
I don't know what happened to trigger the next attack but I suspect it was a similar trigger - the other boy either said something or did something which a lot of seven year olds would probably shrug off, but which in Seb triggered an anger response due to being disrespected and bullied. Again. It's probably happening more than you realise.

I'm not saying that Seb can be excused for this response; far from it. But understanding the trigger can help you begin to work on prevention in the future. If you know what is likely to trigger these responses, it's easier to supervise less obviously and still head these problems off at the pass.

Because supervise you must. Sorry. Think about it like this - you have a child learning to walk. They stumble, often fall and land hard on their rear end (hopefully still heavily padded with a nappy). What do you do as a parent? Do you cling to your child's hands, not letting him try to walk unaided? Or do you stand well back, not assisting or interfering at all, even when the child heads to a steep set of stairs, because "how else can the child learn?" Or do you stand close, hands ready like a baseball backstop but not touching, ready to catch but not holding, so your child can take those steps with safety but some level of independence?
Maybe your child is slower to walk than others. Maybe your child has a club foot, or some mild spasticity, which means he's still learning to walk when his playmates the same age are already running and climbing. Do you say to your child, "You're old enough to ride a bicycle now, I know you think you're not good at pedalling but if your younger cousin doesn't need training wheels then neither do you, don't worry - it's not THAT steep down this hill," or do you treat your child as an individual with different needs, perhaps giving him some extra lessons on the quiet so he can build his skills and confidence and thereby catch up a bit more to the other kids?

Every kid is an individual. Your son has impulse control and anger. He's a smart kid, he knows this behaviour is wrong. But he can't stop himself in time; punching a kid who's just bullied him is too satisfying.
One of the biggest problems I can see, is that Seb is giving back what is dished out to him. A kid disrespects and bullies him - Seb dishes it back. Seb misbehaves and the adult response (at least from his father) is, "I am in charge, you are in my power, I will control your environment and control your personal space as much as I want to, because I can." I suspect husband demands respect and will punish Seb to get it.
This, plus the behaviour of the other kids, is teaching Seb that the successful way to interact is with power. Regardless of what rules he is TOLD, the rules he SEES actually working are the ones where the bully (or person trying to control Seb's environment, which includes the bully who squashes the bug as well as the punisher of Seb's anger) is the one who is in control, and that this behaviour is the acceptable way to respond. His father responds with punishment - a controlling sort of punishment - which teaches Seb to dish out punishment where his own sense of justice feels it is warranted.

Basically, Seb is mirroring the behaviour in his environment.

You cannot change this. This is how he is learning, because something in his head is not letting him pick up these social skills by osmosis, as most other kids learn. He simply isn't doing it the right way. He can't.

But you can help.

First, try to mirror the behaviour you want. Do not shout at him when you are trying to get his attention, or when you are angry with him, for example. If you do, you are teaching him to shout at you when he wants YOUR attention, and to shout at you when he is angry with you. The more you try to shout him down louder, the worse the problems will become. That's just the way it is with some kids.
Did you ever have a teacher at school who controlled a class not by shouting, but by getting quieter, or even silent, when they wanted the class attention? I did. It worked. It saved their larynx and it also saved a lot of shouting. The noisy kids HAD to shut up to hear what was being said, which could be important information such as, "There will be an exam next lesson on this topic," or "I will give the first person to sit up straight an early mark."

Second - supervise. Remember, he is not learning appropriate behaviour in the usual way because his mind doesn't learn that way. He is programmed differently. You will need to teach him, not only by modelling it but also by role-playing what he SHOULD have done. RFTS is right - when your child is extremely visual (as Seb is, as her son is, as my boys are) then extremely graphic visual images are often the best way to make a message ' stick'.

You need to know what is setting Seb off, then monitor his play with others to either prevent or minimise these triggers. For example, if you see Seb really studying something like that insect, and you see another kid approach with foot raised and a wicked gleam in his eye, you can either grab the other kid and deflect him (plus maybe point out that to behave that way is mean and inappropriate) or if you don't get there in time, at least pull Seb off before he does too much damage.

And if you don't get there in time - deal with it more fairly, from Seb's point of view. Try to model for him, and make him rehearse, a more appropriate way of responding. If you can involve the other child in this then do so. Sit down with them and resolve it on the spot. DO NOT REMOVE SEB until it has been sorted to some extent, or the problems with that kid will recur. You have to undo the damage that has been done, by what has just happened and what it has taught the other kid about Seb. The other kid has learnt several things:
1) He knows how to push Seb's buttons and get a spectacular response, to get Seb into trouble - this is fun, especially if the event the kids are at is boring, from the other kid's point of view;
2) Seb is a weird kid whose mother reacts differently from other mothers - most other mothers would ignore it and let the kids slug it out, but Seb's mother apologises for Seb (when this other kid knows it wasn't Seb who started it) and then Seb gets dragged home, like a baby who has soiled himself - this is fun, we'll do it again when we get the chance;
3) If Seb is a weird kid, who is always blamed, then maybe we (the other kids) can have licence to treat Seb this way again, since they will not get blamed, Seb will.

I'm not saying Seb should be backed up or told he has done nothing wrong - far from it. But he's being set up and the more you apologise and take him home, the more this will happen and the worse it will get. I do agree that at the moment, not medicating him is probably making it a lot worse - the change in medication levels makes it VERY hard for our kids to know where their limits are and how they can cope.

I would sit down with Seb and ask him to tell me what happened. If he seems to feel justified in hitting the other kid because "he started it," that's when I would say, "nothing excuses hitting the other kid. OK, he did the wrong thing too but he is not my son, you are. I am not authorised to punish the other kid or try to teach him the right way to behave - I can only teach you. And if this means you turn out to be a better kid than him - then you and I are the winners. But if you hit him back, you are no better than him and I can't step in to stick up for you in any way."
I've told my boys repeatedly - "As soon as you hit the other kid back, this stops being a case of injustice to you and becomes injustice to both. if he started it - it no longer matters, because you hit back and now all bets are off - I can now do nothing to resolve what he did first."
Something else I also had to teach my boys (as they got older, and had a fairly good understanding that they ARE different) was "We don't like it, but it is a fact that you are different. Bullies like this, and a lot of adults who should know better, consider you the weird kid. As a result, you must be even MORE careful to not hit back, even when you see other kids hitting back and getting away with it. Because if they hit back, it's considered normal. But when YOU hit back, they only see your 'problem' and then will say you are unbalanced and dangerous. This is not fair, but this is life. Therefore, more than any other person, you must learn to NOT GET PHYSICAL except purely in self defence, and preferably not even then."

This has been the best thing for my boys. difficult child 1 is now studying karate, which teaches a similar personal discipline. He CAN defend himself if he needs to and this knowledge also makes him more confident in not hitting others back. However, there have been enough times in the past when he DID react sufficiently to give the message that just because he won't hit back, doesn't mean he can be bullied. When pushed to extremes he will be dangerous.

difficult child 3 got bullied at the beach. We'd repeatedly moved him away from the bullies but they kept following him. Finally, just as we were leaving, difficult child 3 snapped and attacked one of these boys physically, punching him over and over. difficult child 3 had been provoked over a period of time, clearly and obviously, and when he snapped we pulled him off the other kid. This could have happened with any 'normal' kid, but it happened with our boy, the one well-known as 'the weird kid'. husband's reaction was a surprise to me - I would have reacted the way you do, Ella - apologise to the other parents, scold difficult child 3 for hitting back despite my repeated reminders to ignore the brats and not hit back. husband is stricter than me, I expected him to really scold difficult child 3 in front of the other kids. But husband simply said to the bullies, "You started that. You wouldn't leave him alone, you kept at him and you brought it on yourself."
We talked it over with difficult child 3 - once again, no matter what the provocation, it is wrong to hit back. But that experience told him a little bit more about where his personal tolerance limits lie, so he is better equipped to know when to walk away, and how far to go to get away from the bullies. He's also learned to come home if being bullied, because once at home, if the bully comes on to our property and difficult child 3 has not done anything wrong, we can call the police on the bully. But if difficult child 3 has hit back or in any way escalated the situation, we can do nothing.

It's one more part of supervision with hands ready to catch, but not holding on too tight.

I think with you and your husband right now - you are each trying to compensate for the other. He thinks you're making too many excuses for Seb and not making him learn self-control and face punishment for anger outbreaks. You, on the other hand, are trying to make allowances for Seb's problems because you know there are some things Seb just can't help. The more each of you behaves that way, the more the other tries to balance it, with the end result of confusion for Seb, mixed messages and as a result he has to fall back on trying to copy your behaviour and strategies when trying to handle other people (and when he tries to 'control' other people's reactions to him).

It's like a couple where one is a spendthrift and the other is a miser - the more the spendthrift impulse buys (and tries to cover it up) the more the miser feels they have to cut costs further, to compensate. This breeds resentment (the miser still has things they want to buy too, but feel they can't because their partner blew the budget) and can lead to a downward spiral in the relationship, with increasing loss of communication and agreement.

Living with a difficult child isn't easy. Frankly, I think your husband is a bit difficult child himself. Try "Explosive Child" techniques on him. It's good practice.

Marg

EB67

I think this indicates he DOES have problems - those who refuse to acknowledge the fallout of PTSD or stress are the ones most likely to snap, because they have refused/removed all safety valves. The 9/11 thing - surely this had a major impact on him too, if only his fear for you and his son?

I'm amazed by the way you honed in on this in a way that I didn't see. It should have been obvious to me yet it didn't register. husband DOES in fact have problems. His parents were alcoholic and abusive. His response to traumatic situations is to shut down. Yes, after 9/11 he was terrified during the hours after the collapse of the towers when he could not communicate with us. But once he learned that we had survived he was unable to understand how our experience continued to affect us. You're alive. You survived. So snap out of it.

He was REALLY angry, really upset and couldn't stop himself.I don't know what happened to trigger the next attack but I suspect it was a similar trigger - the other boy either said something or did something which a lot of seven year olds would probably shrug off, but which in Seb triggered an anger response due to being disrespected and bullied. Again. It's probably happening more than you realise.I'm not saying that Seb can be excused for this response; far from it. But understanding the trigger can help you begin to work on prevention in the future. If you know what is likely to trigger these responses, it's easier to supervise less obviously and still head these problems off at the pass.

The triggers that set him off are generally the same-- it generally stems from someone teasing, bullying or invading his space. Ultimately someone has to get physical with Seb for him to become physical back. But when the trigger goes off, Seb is like the bull charging at the red cape in the bullring. And yes, most children would have the internal resources to shrug it off or leave the situation. I supervise to the extend that it is humanly possible given that I am chasing after my three year old son. These things usually happen in that blink of an eye moment when I've turned my back.

Seb misbehaves and the adult response (at least from his father) is, "I am in charge, you are in my power, I will control your environment and control your personal space as much as I want to, because I can." I suspect husband demands respect and will punish Seb to get it.
This, plus the behaviour of the other kids, is teaching Seb that the successful way to interact is with power. Regardless of what rules he is TOLD, the rules he SEES actually working are the ones where the bully (or person trying to control Seb's environment, which includes the bully who squashes the bug as well as the punisher of Seb's anger) is the one who is in control, and that this behaviour is the acceptable way to respond. His father responds with punishment - a controlling sort of punishment - which teaches Seb to dish out punishment where his own sense of justice feels it is warranted.

Basically, Seb is mirroring the behaviour in his environment.

This is a fascinating point of view and I thank you for that. sadly I cannot change husband's Great Iron Fist of the Law. But at the very least, he receives quite a different model in me. Fortunately husband does not shout. Nor do I. I am far more patient and nurturing with Seb though. And it is reflected in our reltionship. Despite his impulsivity and the havoc is wrecks in public, the private side of my relationship with my son is lovely. Seb and I talk about everything-- I know he loves and trusts me to confide his most personal thoughts and feelings. He always comments that we understand one another and we do. We often know what the other one is thinking just by looking at each other. The bond of mother and son is powerful.

You have to undo the damage that has been done, by what has just happened and what it has taught the other kid about Seb. The other kid has learnt several things:
1) He knows how to push Seb's buttons and get a spectacular response, to get Seb into trouble - this is fun, especially if the event the kids are at is boring, from the other kid's point of view;
2) Seb is a weird kid whose mother reacts differently from other mothers - most other mothers would ignore it and let the kids slug it out, but Seb's mother apologises for Seb (when this other kid knows it wasn't Seb who started it) and then Seb gets dragged home, like a baby who has soiled himself - this is fun, we'll do it again when we get the chance;
3) If Seb is a weird kid, who is always blamed, then maybe we (the other kids) can have licence to treat Seb this way again, since they will not get blamed, Seb will.

Fascinating. Illuminating. Thank you. Seb has to learn not to make himself available and not to walk head on into the expectation that he'll be The Bad Guy. Perhaps by thinking in terms of other's perception of him this will have an effect. I am going to reprint the scenarios (I may modify the soiled baby bit) you listed above and share them with him. This I feel he will be able to relate to. I think that if he feels that he is being set up to be The Bad Guy he may try extra hard not to walk into that expectation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Marguerite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I've told my boys repeatedly - "As soon as you hit the other kid back, this stops being a case of injustice to you and becomes injustice to both. if he started it - it no longer matters, because you hit back and now all bets are off - I can now do nothing to resolve what he did first."</div></div>

This, is brilliant. It's straight forward and Seb will understand this.

Something else I also had to teach my boys (as they got older, and had a fairly good understanding that they ARE different) was "We don't like it, but it is a fact that you are different. Bullies like this, and a lot of adults who should know better, consider you the weird kid. As a result, you must be even MORE careful to not hit back, even when you see other kids hitting back and getting away with it. Because if they hit back, it's considered normal. But when YOU hit back, they only see your 'problem' and then will say you are unbalanced and dangerous. This is not fair, but this is life. Therefore, more than any other person, you must learn to NOT GET PHYSICAL except purely in self defence, and preferably not even then."

Again, this bit above is a GIFT. I will use it.

difficult child 1 is now studying karate, which teaches a similar personal discipline.

Similarly Seb has been fencing for about a year now. Hopefully the discipline he has learned will start to translate into his peer interactions.

I think with you and your husband right now - you are each trying to compensate for the other. He thinks you're making too many excuses for Seb and not making him learn self-control and face punishment for anger outbreaks. You, on the other hand, are trying to make allowances for Seb's problems because you know there are some things Seb just can't help. The more each of you behaves that way, the more the other tries to balance it, with the end result of confusion for Seb, mixed messages and as a result he has to fall back on trying to copy your behaviour and strategies when trying to handle other people (and when he tries to 'control' other people's reactions to him).

Somehow my examples are not guiding Seb in the heat of the moment. At the very least, Seb does not know that his father and I are at odds with one another where it concerns his medical treatment and discipline techniques. husband and I do give the illusion of being a united front. Though Seb actually sees through it. But as much as he complains to me about his father I never feed into it. I just listen.

Living with a difficult child isn't easy. Frankly, I think your husband is a bit difficult child himself. Try "Explosive Child" techniques on him. It's good practice

I should. I also like this article from The New York Times: (What Shamu Taught me About a Happy Marriage). It's a good one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/25/fashion/25love.html?ex=1183521600&en=ae36139ba90507c3&ei=5070

Many many thanks for the gift of your insights.

Marguerite

Ella, so much of this is so familiar to me. But I'm further down the track. There ARE benefits, if you can pull off some of these other problems. Among those benefits - Seb is a rule follower, even if they're HIS rules which he's worked out for himself. If his personal rules include no drug taking, theft or vandalism, then he won't be the delinquent problem that many other parents face. While he may transgress at times, there will be a reason for it (which makes sense to him) and which will give YOU a key to get through to him and teach him to modify the behaviour in the future.

Keep doing what you are doing, at least in terms of talking to Seb and helping him to understand that he IS different, which means he has to work harder at some things, like behaviour. But there is a bonus for him which he can learn to value about himself - the same 'different' brain wiring that makes it hard for Seb to learn social interaction by osmosis is also equipping him academically. His brain will absorb factual information, spatial relationships (I bet he's good with mazes, or understanding how things work) and other 'connectedness' especially when he is presented with it as a whole. He may have difficulty in school in some areas, but if you let him learn in the way he finds easiest, he will discover his own amazing ability to understand and also concentrate on fine detail in his area of special interest. This ability to concentrate on a deep level, on the sort of detail that many others simply can't deal with, will set him apart as a valuable worker/employee/student in years to come, if he learns to value it in himself and direct it into a career path. For example, the ability to see a flaw in a computer program, or a page of text, or a page of mathematical formulae (I'm talking about when he's older). Or to look into an engine and almost intuitively find what's not working. And if husband can see Seb's worth, this may make it easier for him to support him instead of ordering him.

Watch him NOW, find what he is good at and encourage him to do more of it. Spread him around his ability range as much as possible, openly value him for it and this will give him a sense of personal worth which he will need, to get through these tough times with other kids being so mean.

by the way, these other kids - this is going to get worse, at least until he is in his early teens. The only way to stop it is to either remove him from these kids or to be super-vigilant and also react with information and education for the other kids. This is not always politically correct, but without it problems often continue. With difficult child 3's repeated experiences of being attacked, I finally got fed up, went round to the home of the kid responsible (I am doing this with every new attacker) and talked it out, with the boy's mother present. I basically said I wasn't going to re-hash old stuff but it was all going to stop because I had had enough of difficult child 3 being victimised by some kid with his own chip on the shoulder. "If you're having a bad day, deal with it yourself and don't attack my son, or I will be back here for another talk with your mother," I told the kid. The other kid insisted difficult child 3 had started it (which I knew wasn't true, but the other kid had planned it so there were no witnesses (he thought). So I just said, "No more. If difficult child 3 attacks you, come and tell me. But if you attacked him first, I will know. So from now on, you will be polite and friendly to each other. The past is gone. A fresh start. You don't have to be friends - just no longer enemies. Because I can be a bigger enemy than my son, but we can also be good friends. Your choice."
Since then, I've praised this other boy when I've seen him play sport well (I was being honest, not searching for something nice to say) and this boy has begun to look out for and protect difficult child 3. basically, the bully was also a victim and was taking his frustrations out on difficult child 3 because 'the system' had taught him that he could get away with it. The school had in its own way encouraged the bullying, by sending a message that difficult child 3, being different, was dangerous, untrustworthy, likely to either lie or not know truth and in some way deserving of being kicked, hit, punished or merely ignored. And while I apologised for difficult child 3, I was endorsing the same view. Once I began standing up for him (reasonably, not being an idiot about "my son can do no wrong") then the problems began to resolve. Some local kids are still mean to difficult child 3 but this is a younger group who haven't yet had to face ME. And when difficult child 3 reports a problem, I first talk to HIM about it, we discuss how he could have handled things better and role-play it.

A lot of people these days are astonished when I tell them that difficult child 3 is autistic. But they don't see that we are joined at the hip. I worry every time difficult child 3 goes out for a bike ride, insisting he go on his own. And I worry with good reason - his bike still hasn't been repaired since he rode it into a neighbour's car, while trying to get away from the latest crop of bullies. But difficult child 3 is insisting he be allowed personal space and the chance to make new friends. On our recent holiday difficult child 3 would wander round the resort and chat to other boys, trying to set up a game of sorts or some other activity. We had no problems although I'm fairly sure the other boys realised that difficult child 3 is odd. But kids are more accepting than adults, especially when they are away from their own comfort zones.

When difficult child 3 was younger I would write social stories for him. Or a set of rules, worded as plainly as possible but with humour. He reads more than he hears, so what is written reinforces its meaning much better. When he was REALLY young, I would do it with photographs as well. You could do this with your younger son - write the story of a special adventure you've all had, and include photos. Make each child the star of his own story. It doesn't matter if you've pitched the text slightly above his reading ability or apparent comprehension level - because the story is about HIM, each boy will want the story read to him over and over until he memorises it. Then each time he goes over it again, the language you have used will stick in his memory. And if what you've written is positive, encouraging and fun, it will strengthen their own confidence and sense of being loved.

It sounds like you will be doing these sort of initiatives on your own - so be it. Tell husband it's a form of scrapbooking, and lots of loving mothers do it for their kids. it will boost their reading skills. But if husband doesn't change (and why should he now? You can't change him anyway) then increasingly, Seb is going to attach to you and resent husband. You need to avoid making this worse (not easy) and when husband complains to you that Seb seems to have an unreasonable hatred for him, you will maybe have an opening then to explain to husband that his parenting style simply is wrong for Seb. That's how it is sometimes - what is effective for some kids is disastrous for others. And of course husband will say, "It's how I was raised, and it didn't do me any harm." And even while you're thinking, 'yeah? check the psychological mirror, big boy,' you can say, "You're not Seb. He's not you. You asked why, I have told you. I can explain how, but only if you want to take it on board. Otherwise we keep going as we are now. And that would be a pity."

I hope you get that chance, but it sounds like you probably won't. But in the meantime, there is a lot you can do. A lot of positive stuff. Do fun family project stuff with the boys (at the level Seb can handle, without stressing too much). Learn Seb's tolerance levels, and slowly keep stretching them. Meanwhile, watch your younger son. Involve Seb in helping his little brother. having someone else to care for is a good thing for him. But do this with an understanding of helping Seb learn how to interact appropriately. You have to be his helper, not his jailer, but still be the one maintaining safety and diplomacy.

And when the boys are grown - maybe join the rest of us in the queue for a UN job in diplomatic relations!

Marg

TexasTornado

Marg-again-you take my breath away-
How lucky we as a group are to have someone with such wisdom-you are such a source of encouragement :smile: Thank-You!
Luvz,
Kathy

dixiegirl34

I do believe in consequences for all actions, good and bad.
What message are we sending to our children, who will one day be adults, if we don't teach them that all behavior has a consequence?

My difficult child has a tendency towards violence and aggression himself and we've started acknowledging the point of anger first, and then giving a consequence for not controlling himself because of that anger. Everyone gets angry but not everyone hurts others when they're angry. I want difficult child to know and understand this.
We only make a consequence last 24 hrs. unless difficult child has another incident, then we add another 24hrs.

I, too, agree that constant attention is needed when in public or around other children. It is hard but I'm afraid with difficult child's it is neccesary.

(((HUGS)))

Marguerite

Dixie, we do what works. If this is working for you, then fabulous. It IS what a lot of us aim for.

With anything like this, we need to think - how do I achieve what I want, in getting this message through that thick skull?

There are times when consequences achieve absolutely nothing, or send us backward. We also have to weigh up any problems caused by apparent lack of consequences. We also have to choose some sort of response which is going to help us have some sort of positive outcome, at least in helping prevent recurrences.

We often have to walk a tightrope between consequencing EVERYTHING, or letting them get away with total anarchy. The rule of thumb for us has become - "are we achieving anything by taking this response?" And this will definitely vary from child to child and from time to time.

These kids really keep you thinking fast on your feet!

Marg