IEP Wednesday, what do I need to know?

I've never been through the IEP process. The school already has his documentation from the children's hospital and I've been told for a fact that he qualifies for Speech Therapy.

His teacher, school psychiatric and therapist have been wonderful so far. But I'm curious what to expect.

Oh...and tested for language therapy. Vanderbilt and the school was concerned with his pragmatic language skills.

nvts

It's really great that they've been so supportive at the school. By looking at your signature you might want to consider requesting that they test for Physical and Occupational therapy as well.

PT for the awkward gate (does he "toe walk"?) and Occupational Therapist (OT) for the fine and gross motor skills.

Don't sign the IEP right then and there unless you feel that they've given you everything that you need for him. You can always ask to take it home to digest and understand everything, sign it and bring it back. If there are corrections or additions, you can note them and discuss with them. Sometimes you can call the School psychiatric. and ask for a copy prior to the meeting so you can bone-up on terminology.

Ask as many questions that you may have. Be sure that they understand that a lot of his behavioral issues are based on sensory integration issues rather than conduct based.

If he's acting up in class or at school request a Functional Behavior Analysis and a Behavior Intervention Plan. (FBA and BIP). These will allow the sensory problems to be considered by the teachers/paras/administration.

Go and feel comfortable and confident. Question, question, question.

Talk to any outside counselors that you're working with and see if they have anything that they think needs to be considered and bring those concerns with you as well.

Most important: don't be intimidated by this. You're going as an advocate for your child. You're a strong person that's looking for him to have a great education. He's just wired a little differently so he needs some accomodations.

http://www.bridges4kids.org/IEP/iep.goal.bank.pdf

JJJ posted this on another thread and it gives ideas.

Let us know how it goes!

Beth

Sheila

There is a "getting started" thread in the Sp Ed Archives that explains some of the procedures.

There is also a thread in the Sp Ed Archives regarding how to prepare for an IEP meeting.

It's important to know what tests have been performed by the sd and do you have a copy of the school district report?

I don't have a copy of the school district report. Like I've said Speech was a no-brainer. The children's hospital gave me a copy of their evaluation, which I passed on a copy to the school. She listed his diagnosis of Asperger's, IQ score and request for Speech Therapy, Language Skills (Pragmatic) and Occupational Therapist (OT). (I forgot to mention that before).

The school therapist and I had discussed that before (his handwriting is horrid) she had him grip her fingers and said that his grip was weak. So hopefully that will be addressed.

Thanks for all the help.

Martie

Please read the archive threads Sheila suggested and then spend some time on ww.wrightslaw.com so you will better understand your basic rights so you can protect your child...It is wonderful that your SD seems willing to serve, but you still need to be vigilant.

Best to you,

Martie