Mother on meth

Discussion in 'Substance Abuse' started by DebraBurns1958, May 7, 2016.

  1. purpleflowers58

    purpleflowers58 New Member

    My mother is 75 years old. Has afib, heart trouble, high blood pressure, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD). Shes always been a party girl. She lives with me I am a widow and I do not smoke cigs, pot do any drugs. I do not drink and I don't know what to do. There are 8 of us kids I am the oldest and not one of her other kids will have nothing to do with her. Shes mean and says terrible things. She will do meth every chance she can and loves her beer. She smokes pot..I have been mentally abused and physically ever since I was a baby. I can't do this no more.
  2. Scent of Cedar *

    Scent of Cedar * Well-Known Member

    Have you contacted Social Services, Debra? Your mother needs to be in her own place.

    You must feel so badly. I am sorry this is happening.

  3. GoingNorth

    GoingNorth Crazy Cat Lady

    I agree with contacting social services. Tho with the combination of drugs abused and her health issues she could die at any time.

    She needs full time care for the health problems and meth psychosis, possibly combined with dementia. 1st comes detox which must be done under medical supervision

    I am sorry you are dealing with this
    My mother is 83 and just starting to slip a little
    That's very sad to me. I can't imagine dealing with what you are going through
  4. purpleflowers58

    purpleflowers58 New Member

    I have contacted social services. They won't do nothing. They tell me I have to evict her legally through the courts. She can't live alone. She's not allowed to hold her own medications such as her klonipin and muscle relaxers because she takes to many on purpose. I feel guilty butvI am literally sick and depressed from her nonsense and meanness. I feel stuck. She acts helpless but I think shes just to lazy to do anything. She won't even try..Thanks for writing me
  5. purpleflowers58

    purpleflowers58 New Member

    I have tried everything. Even called cahoots but no one will help me. I'd like her to be in an adult foster care home but her caseworker says its up to her...Thanks for responding
  6. Copabanana

    Copabanana Well-Known Member

    Welcome Debra.

    First, while I remember. If this is your real name you might want to change it. This is an anonymous site and we want you to be safe.
    My Mom had this, and unfortunately I do too.
    You seem to be in an impossible situation, but still, I think you have options.

    By using meth in your home your mother is putting you at risk. First because she is dangerous. Second, it is illegal. And third you could be at risk if something happens to her. I would fear somebody pointing a finger at me.

    There are issues of her competency involved. I would keep calling Adult Protective Services to have a record of her mis-behavior and her vulnerability. If she acts in any way as if she is not oriented or delirious, or looks like she is short of breath or has chest pain, I would call 911 and I would have her taken by ambulance to the hospital.

    The thing is you have to consent to accept responsibility for somebody who cannot care for herself. I do not see you as more responsible than any of your siblings if you do not choose to be. If you refuse to consent to accept responsibility after she goes to the hospital, I believes that the social workers at the hospital will have to put her in a rehab or in a board and care.

    I do not know how you can continue accepting responsibility for her to kill herself. The idea that tenants' rights is the issue here is ludicrous.

    I would call legal aid or an attorney if you can afford it or adult protective services so that you can learn your rights.

    I am so sorry you find yourself in this horrible situation. There is no reason to continue to be abused.
  7. purpleflowers58

    purpleflowers58 New Member

    Thank you for your input. I am working with Adult protective services. I have called 911 4 or 5 times they know when they get here whats going on but she refuses treatment or ride to hospital they have assured me that they make a full report, I am doing my part but she will not cooperate with them. As far as leaving her at hospital they have said I cannot abandon her. And No this is not my real name.
  8. Scent of Cedar *

    Scent of Cedar * Well-Known Member

    Finding outside support for ourselves is crucial. Have you considered Al-Anon or Narc-Anon meetings?

    Or NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness)?


    Is there an Information and Referral Service in your area? In many states, that phone number is 211. If your state does not have the 211 system, the phone number for United Way in your area should be listed online.

    There may be an Information and Referral phone number in the blue (Government Section) pages of your phone book. The number would be listed in the Social Services section for the County you are in.

    You will not need to give your name.

    Another idea to check into through Social Services might be Respite Care.


    I am very sorry this is happening. Taking our parents into our homes should not hurt like this.

  9. purpleflowers58

    purpleflowers58 New Member

    Thank you for all your help. I'm hoping to have a place for her within about 3 weeks. It's hard though.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    Thank God.
    You are a good person. After she leaves, please be very nice to yourself.
  11. purpleflowers58

    purpleflowers58 New Member

    Thank You..I just found this site and there have been many kind and concerned people. I so glad I became a member and God Bless everyone who has helped me by listening and offering great advice. It's been good for me too.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List