nature takes over--bee stings hurt

jannie

trying to survive....
So tonight, rather than coming in when called, difficult child decided to run off to the park....and behind a few houses....

I did not chase after him because I knew he was safe and he'd only run more if I chased him....

After a few minutes I look outside and I see him...I call out his name and tell him to come home now...he sees me runs off and tries to hide in the neighbors bushes.....seconds later I hear screaming.....

He has multiple bee stings right below his bottom.....I guess when he tried to slide behind and hide he slid onto some type of bee hive.....:surprise:

Fortunately he is not allergic....his upper thigh is red and sore...do you think he learned a lesson???:confused:

I told him....the bees:nono: were trying to teach him a lesson...next time you come in when you are called.

Let's see what happens tomorrow.....

I'm still trying to decide if he should lose outside privledges tomorrow for running off and not coming in...or were the bee stings enough of a consequence...mind you the screaming only lasted a few minutes...

klmno

Natural consequences-(aka a mother's vindication)- you gotta love 'em!!

You didn't say which difficult child this was, but I noticed that by the time my son hit those middle school years, natural consequences have a LOT bigger impact than anything I could do or say. And- it leaves me not always having to be the bad guy!!

Maybe he goes out for a short period of time to play tomorrow- and see if he comes in when he's supposed to or if he runs in the bushes this time!?!

Andy

I am so glad he is not allergic.

This reminded me when easy child was a baby and started the biting stage. Within a few days of her thinking biting was fun, she was due for her updated baby shots. She was a little chewy that morning. She hated the shots but never bit again - I often thought that she thought she would get a shot everytime she bit?

He will probably still run, just not to that bush. Or being a boy, he will probably search out the bush to investigate. You know, you can't get stung if the bees don't catch you and any boy can run away from a bee before it sees him. (my difficult child's way of thinking - when he was 8 yrs old we went to Cocoa Beach - his plan was to grab a baby shark and run as fast as he could before the mommy shark knew the baby was gone - I decided not to point out the baby sharks in bottles in the gift shop - didn't want to take one home.)

:rofl:

He can still have problems with the stings tonight. Keep an eye on them.

jannie

trying to survive....
It was my 8 year old.....nothing stops him...He is in camp all day...not being allowed to play would be for after camp...

My older one prefers the airconditioning and electronics...he's always happier being inside....;)

Wiped Out

Staff member
I remember when difficult child was that age and he would run when we wanted him to come in for the evening, now he is more like your older difficult child.

I would think maybe the bee stings would be enough of a consequence for the night. Ouch! I hope he learned his lesson.

TerryJ2

Heck, I think next time he runs, you calmly tell him that the bees will find him way b4 you do. Then just sit in the kitchen and calmly read a magazine ...

So sorry about the stings (ice packs help!) but glad he's not allergic.

Bugsy

OH Jannie,

Thank goodness that he is ok.

Depending on the day, mine would have taken it as lesson learned or some how determine it was all my fault. I may have had to listen to his logic that if I did not call him in, make him run and so on, this never would have happened. I could hear it now, "This is all your fault mom. If you wouldn't---(at this point all I would hear is blah blah blahbitty blah) "

Again, I am glad it is not serious. Of course I would definately use it to your advantage. "You know difficult child, I think someone above finally had enough and sent you a message. Listen to the rules or you may get stung in the BEEEhind."

Hope he has sweet dreams (sweet as honey).

take it easy,
Bugsy's mom