Old-fashioned things you've done in your day...

Pink Elephant

I remember the noise my fat thighs made in cords - voop, voop, voop.

I had one. Named him Rocky.

We wore shorts under our dresses to school. I don't know if they would let us wear shorts, but shorts under dresses were fine. And our playground was GRAVEL. No nice soft rubber mulch for us! If you fell, you get scraped up. Nothing to whine about.

They had adhesive ones pretty much right off the bat for us, but my periods were SO bad that I missed school! The belt ones at least stayed in place and closer to the body, so that's what I had to use until my mom gave up after only a few months and had me switch to tampax.

I love those! My mom had one and I wish I still did.

In the car? Heck, I rode in the back window! I also rode in the hatch portion of my friend's older sisters pinto - you know, the ones that exploded! Talk about taking your life in your own hands. LOL
Was just re-reading this thread and so glad I did... just finished having a good laugh over the sound our thighs made in corduroy pants! Yes, I really do remember that! LOL!

Speaking of Tampax... never wore a tampon in my life. Always pads. How's that for old-fashioned? :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Canning... Definitely.

I love to make bread by hand from scratch - I hate the bread machine type. Kneading is such a stress-reliever.

Cooking from scratch - yes please! So much tastier.

Nomad

Staff member
I perused this thread...a lot of fun!

I’m not sure I have done a ton of “old fashion” type things....but the more I think of it....there were definitely some!

We did do green stamps.
I did wrap my hair around my head with a giant roller on top and sleep this way
I did have a hair dryer bonnet you stay under
My mom did go to the beauty parlor every Saturday for a roller set like it was a religion for decades
We had those Swanson TV dinners for emergency meals and I secretly loved them and wished we could have them more often. Fried chicken, mashed potato section and a cherry dessert!
We had Star Trek night at my house and mom would make blue berry turnovers.
We had a box by our front door for the milkman . The milk was in GLASS containers
Our family car, a 57 Chevy , was Turquiose color ...lol
I use to make brownies from scratch. Good grief...crazy delicious.
Penny loafers...actually put a penny in them :)

PS Did you guys know training wheels on kids bikes might be becoming obsolete? I’ll try to look up the name. Now young kids balance as best as they can and drag their feet instead on tiny bikes without those back training wheels. Also, fall a lot. I think they are called “balance bikes.”

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Canning... Definitely.

I love to make bread by hand from scratch - I hate the bread machine type. Kneading is such a stress-reliever.

Cooking from scratch - yes please! So much tastier.
Oh, how could I have forgotten... good old-fashioned homemade bread! Yes! And the aroma all through the house.

Thanks for the memory, Annie. :)

Pink Elephant

I perused this thread...a lot of fun!

I’m not sure I have done a ton of “old fashion” type things....but the more I think of it....there were definitely some!

We did do green stamps.
I did wrap my hair around my head with a giant roller on top and sleep this way
I did have a hair dryer bonnet you stay under
My mom did go to the beauty parlor every Saturday for a roller set like it was a religion for decades
We had those Swanson TV dinners for emergency meals and I secretly loved them and wished we could have them more often. Fried chicken, mashed potato section and a cherry dessert!
We had Star Trek night at my house and mom would make blue berry turnovers.
We had a box by our front door for the milkman . The milk was in GLASS containers
Our family car, a 57 Chevy , was Turquiose color ...lol
I use to make brownies from scratch. Good grief...crazy delicious.
Penny loafers...actually put a penny in them :)

PS Did you guys know training wheels on kids bikes might be becoming obsolete? I’ll try to look up the name. Now young kids balance as best as they can and drag their feet instead on tiny bikes without those back training wheels. Also, fall a lot. I think they are called “balance bikes.”
Yes, those old plastic bonnet dryers! LOL! They resembled something from outer-space! :)

You know, Nomad, I was just giving thought to training wheels, and don't actually remember them as a kid. We just practiced riding our bikes in the back alley or a park lawn, where if you fell you didn't get hurt.

Pink Elephant

How about rolling an old-fashioned cigarette?

I've done it a few times. You know, the method where you have to take a few pinches of tobacco, set it into a cigarette paper, then gently roll the paper between your fingers to evenly disperse the tobacco, before licking the paper and rolling it shut.

I was a store-bought cigarette kind of gal! Store-bought cigarettes were know as "tailor-mades" back in my day.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
husband and I rolled our own cigs for many years as a way to save money. We used filters and papers with- a "sling roller. You placed the paper, filter at one end, and filled the paper in the dip between the two rollers with-tobacco. Then you clicked the rollers together and rolled them until only the glued end of the paper was sticking out. Lick that, roll a tad more, click open, and "poof" cigarette.

Got pulled over by a K9 unit while rolling a cig in the car and handing it to husband on our way back from fishing in Lake Michigan.

Cop was quite disappointed when his dog didn't alert on anything,

We also had a crank machine that used filtered tubes. husband used to make me a pack of real looking cigs to take to work each day.

At that time, loose tobacco wasn't taxed like cigarettes were, so it saved us about 80% of the cost of pre-mades.

Pink Elephant

husband and I rolled our own cigs for many years as a way to save money. We used filters and papers with- a "sling roller. You placed the paper, filter at one end, and filled the paper in the dip between the two rollers with-tobacco. Then you clicked the rollers together and rolled them until only the glued end of the paper was sticking out. Lick that, roll a tad more, click open, and "poof" cigarette.

Got pulled over by a K9 unit while rolling a cig in the car and handing it to husband on our way back from fishing in Lake Michigan.

Cop was quite disappointed when his dog didn't alert on anything,

We also had a crank machine that used filtered tubes. husband used to make me a pack of real looking cigs to take to work each day.

At that time, loose tobacco wasn't taxed like cigarettes were, so it saved us about 80% of the cost of pre-mades.
I totally remember. My mom had an actual manual cigarette rolling (or making) machine, and a smaller single cigarette maker, with paper cigarette tubes that had the orange filter-tips and everything.

When she used the actual manual machine (no power/batteries, etc), I seem to remember a blade that cut the long cigarette into three, or something like that, it's been so many years now I remember but not exactingly.

Mom sort of went in spurts as far as store-bought cigarettes vs home-rolled. When money was tight, which was all the time in our house, it was rolled cigarettes, but I do remember packaged, store-bought cigarettes on the table and in her purse.

Moms and my old brand below.

Number_7_old_design_black_cat_s_30_b_canada.jpg

Pink Elephant

How about the old-fashioned reel lawnmowers? The heavy cast iron ones that you pushed to cut?

I remember. I was much too small and weak to make it work, but that's how my grandparents and other older generation folks in the family cut their lawns.

No wonder people lived longer two to three generations ago! They sure got their exercise.

Pink Elephant

This one just in from my husband, who offered it to me to post.

husband said he remembers pumping gas (early teen years) when the pumps had little coloured balls that tumbled and swirled around in a clear glass bubble on the side of the gas pumps.

Yes, I remember that from when we'd go to the service station and dad would fill the car with gas.

Pink Elephant

Possibly can't be attributed to being old-fashioned per se, but will venture to say that it was a more common practice back in the day compared to nowadays, but putting plastic bags over kids feet in the winter, because of wet or damp boots.

I had it done to me growing up, and my kids had it done to them.

Anyone else remember wearing plastic bags on your feet in the winter?

Pink Elephant

We wore boots. Never heard of that really. Doesn't sound too warm or waterproof. Why didn't you get boots??
ROFLMAO!!! Oh, SOT, you are too much! :p

We did have boots, but played outside so much that the inside wouldn't dry thoroughly between our outings, so to avoid wetting out socks as soon as we put our boots on, mom would top our feet off with plastic bags.

BusynMember

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh!

Duh to me lol.

Our neighborhood was pretty quiet and kid free in winter. Heckit wasn't a heap of fun in the summer either!!!

I think I had an old fashion wooden sled with red blades but have no memory of using it. My granddaughter doesn't play much outside in the winter either in this day and age and her block is quiet in the summer. To take Little Princess to be with kids, Big Princess takes her to parks, indoor play places and the zoo. And the little one loves other kids! Next year she goes to 4k.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Rose has a balance bike. She HATES it. Would rather ride her tricycle. I'm thinking a real bike with training wheels this summer...

Pink Elephant

One we overlooked... party-lines!

Oh, the fun us kids used to have listening-in on neighbours calls. We'd snicker foolishly, then when party-line user or users would hear us, they'd ask one another, there must be someone else on the line, and we'd really laugh then!

Imagine, phone calls weren't private at all back then. Almost seems unbelievable when thinking about it today.

Pink Elephant

Another I just remembered... diaper stackers.

Do think diaper stackers were more popular and widely used back in the day of old-fashioned cloth diapers. I still have the one I used with my kids.

My guess is mothers that used disposables kept the diapers in the box or package, or stacked on the dresser top in the baby's room.

I always kept a folded stack of diapers in each of my children's rooms (dresser top), but having a secondary supply of diapers sitting in the diaper stacker (ready to go) came in super handy at times, especially when I didn't have any extra folded diapers ready on hand, or when diapers were in the wash.

Diaper-Stacker-Custom-Made-Quilted-Yellow-and-White.jpg