Oops!!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I let easy child's boys play outside today because it was so lovely.

Well, the two little boys play.........but Darrin spends much of his time asking me what this plant is, what this bug is.........can he find fossils in his yard if he digs deep enough. LOL Ummm......

So he asks me "Hey, Nana is this a toy snake?"

I go over to check. (I've long since gotten over the heebie jeebies of such things thanks to Nichole) Sure enough there is a garter snake curled up upside down in the grass. I had seen their cat Simba hunting something earlier in that area. So I got a stick to see if it was ok. It was fine. Then Darrin wanted an up close look. Well......I might have gotten over the heebie geebies, but I wasn't going to stand there and hold a 10 in snake so they could look at it. I had him run and get a jar, put the snake inside so the boys could get their up close look.

Then Darrin thinks he's so cool he doesn't want to release him. He catches some bugs for him. He wants to take him to bed......but I nixed that idea. He put him on his dresser instead. I told him I'd have to ask easy child if he could keep it (knowing she'd totally freak) and if she said no I'd release him outside when I left.

Only I totally forgot about it until just now. easy child is in bed.

easy child is gonna kill me! LOL But I posted to her fb wall so she'll see it in the morning.........so she can have sister in law release it.

Yup. I'm so dead. But I mean, c'mon......they're boys, right?? in my opinion it's waaaaaay better than Darrin carrying around meal worms in his pockets. :rofl:

InsaneCdn

Hound! How COULD you!

My skin is just crawling... and I'm so far away it's just 'theory'.

Yeeeecccchhhh. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek.
Tell easy child she isn't the only one that feels that way!

susiestar

Roll With It
Snakes are cool. My dad had a fellow teacher friend who brought her 'baby' over to visit us. I was 2 and fell in LOVE. Bro was fine but thought it was a toy until it moved it's tongue when he pulled it's mouth open. Bro was almost 5 and put it down carefully and backed away up the stairs that overlooked the room - and watched me play with it.

Same lady taught in my jr high when I was in 7th grade. I used to take Baby (the boa's name) to classes with me, worn like a necklace. Only one teacher objected, and he did it from FAR away, lol. I found that hilarious and took Baby with me as often as I could. I was a BRAT. But I loved that snake! SO did my art teacher, the only one who would pet or hold her except for her owner and a few of the kids.

No one ever teased me about that. I think they were afraid of what the crazy snake girl would do to them.

They were right to be afraid, lol.

I hope it had enough air in the jar to last overnight! Snakes are awesome for the environment. Mostly they eat bugs and mice/rats/small rodents.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Snakes are great. OUTSIDE.

The guy I moved out of my parents' house with, got a boa about a week after we moved. OK, no problem, I bought it a mouse. The mouse attacked it. We separated the two. Guy left, took snake, I still had mouse. No A/C. Hot summer. Put mouse and cage into bathtub since it was cooler. Came home to a dead mouse. That was awful.

And then XH had a boa, too. I pretty much ignored it, covered the aquarium when my Mom was over (she HATES snakes). We got married, moved into a rental house... And then... He didn't feed the poor thing or clean its aquarium. It was HORRIBLE. Snake poop STINKS. I went out and bought it a rat, and when it smelled the rat it came up out of the top of the aquarium - those suckers are FAST - I dropped the rat, slammed the top of the aquarium & locked it & LEFT. The next day I called the Humane Society and found a snake rescue to come get him, aquarium and all. I don't think XH ever forgave me. Last I heard, boa had a new home and was fat and happy.

Since then? I flat refuse to have a snake in my home.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It appears............only sister in law has seen the post so far. So maybe he'll save my bacon and release said snake this morning.

I don't mind kids "catching" things, but mostly.......I try to promote look at them ect but release them when you're done. Darrin is getting much better with this philosophy. He killed I dunno how many lightening bugs and crickets before he started releasing them again. Nana is trying to teach him that everything has a "job" and is important. It was the only way I could stop his bug stomping craze because he was afraid of them.

Snakes are fascinating, more so behind glass or on tv in their natural habitat. I can't say I'd want one living in the house. Uhh, I know I wouldn't want one living in the house.

So there may not be any blood curdling screams from easy child. Although i'm sure she'll be upset with me once she finds out there was a snake in her house last night. LOL

DammitJanet

First, the second the Darrin said there was a snake in the yard, the boys would have been in the house behind locked doors while I got out the shotgun and blew up the entire back yard. Then I would have been on the phone hyperventilating screaming for someone to come home and get the dead snake out of the yard!

Tiapet

Old Hand
Snakes, all I can say is I'm glad I don't have to live with them anymore! Yes I did say LIVE with them! Anyone who is from way back when may recall my ex who used to post on here used to rescue and keep snakes. YUCK! We had several rather large snakes in our house at one time. An albino burmese python, very pretty (22 ft), a temporary foster regular burmese when littlest difficult child was just born (24 ft) though that one went quickly as it was trying to get out and get baby in bassinet and that ended that one's stay quick (!), red tailed boa (6 ft), and a ball python. That ball python is THE only one I would and did ever hold. It was the smallest of them all at only 2 ft. I will never, ever be or have snakes around again let me tell you. No way. No how! Rats and rabbits were the food. Live and pre-killed and I just can not tolerate it. Of course we had many other assorted reptiles (lizards) so along with that came their food sources (crickets and assorted worms). I'm am sooooo over that and sooooo glad that chapter of life is done, dun, DONE!:kickedoutsmile:

I'll stick to furbabies now.:pet: