rehab

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
Bluebell

Sorry to hear that things escalated but that is what is to be expected when WE don't do what THEY want. You are taking back control of your lives and home and bravo for you.

You have to make him uncomfortable for change to happen and the immaturity overrides all of our efforts it seems. I'm dealing with it too!

Hugs and stay strong.

When you're going through hell, just keep going.

in a daze

So sorry about all these hoops you are made to jump through, Bluebell, between your son and trying to get him some treatment.

So, here's the "easiest" way to get them to rehab.

1. When there is a change in their behavior...agitation, sommulence, suicide threats, etc., call 911 and have them taken to the hospital. (now if they won't go, that's a negotiation and another story)

2. The social worker will be able to get him into a place that works with your insurance. It's way easier to get in straight from the hospital because all the documentation is there. The sequence is: Detox, psychiatric/drug treatment unit, rehab, sober living. You must maintain strong boundaries during all this, and not let them manipulate you into letting them back into your home.

3. They can just show up at a hospital that has a psychiatric/chemical dependency unit, say you're on xxx substance and that you want to detox. (May be the least likely scenario, although my son did do this. Maybe it would work if you gave him a choice between that, and the street).

Good luck with it all. 50,000? Who has that kind of money? Best to work with your insurance. Like the others have said, relapse is a part of the disease.

in a daze

So frustrating Bluebell.
One thing that can be done next time he's in the hospital is to insist that he is not allowed back home. Then it's the social workers job to find him a placement.

bluebell

He went to his grandmother's the night before last, which was odd since he hasn't even been answering her phone calls thru all this. They are very close. He made some calls to rehabs (verified thru phone records) but was not able to get anyone to answer or call back. He sent me a text yesterday morning saying I was right, that it was just too hard to get in to anything insurance would cover, he doesn't want or need detox, and he doesn't want me to spend his college fund on something private pay. So he went to IOP last night and had a positive experience. And yes, we allowed him back in the house. Oh my, the mood swings on that boy. My daughter looked at me and said 'My gawd mom why didn't he just go and try it before he had a nervous breakdown?' I told her 'Because he is scared to death'. That's all I can figure. A day at a time...