So Far So Good

JKF

difficult child has been out of jail since Friday. I've spoken to him a couple of times on the phone and through email. He seems in good spirits. He had to check in with pretrial supervision today before 4 pm and he was there waiting for them at 8:30 a.m. when they opened. So that's good - he's being responsible - for now at least. I got an email from the mental health liaison at pretrial services. He told me that he will be completing the evaluation with difficult child and processing all options that their program can offer. He said treatment can be set up for him but that he has to comply with all recommendations set forth. His initial thought is to have difficult child stay at the shelter for now, start a treatment program, and if he does well with that then he will move him into a permanent housing option at that time. It's weird but it seems like due to this whole situation more doors are opening now. When difficult child was in NJ he had exhausted all of his options. Now that he's out in PA and in "trouble" more doors are opening so I'm going to remain hopeful that things like this really do happen for a reason.

Hopefully difficult child can keep it together. I'm a little worried because in his email before he said he had just gotten to the library because the "a-hole" (his words) staff member at the shelter is threatening to kick him out if he makes any more phone calls while sitting on the handicap ramp. So I emaild back and said "then don't sit on the ramp"!! Seems easy enough right?? Uggggh!

So besides that things seem to be going ok so far. I'm taking one day at a time and not getting my hopes up. I have times where I think this will all work out "happily ever after" and then other times where I think this will fail miserably so I'm working at keeping myself somewhere in the middle.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
You sound good. I'm happy things have calmed down for you. Yes, that's my experience as well, sometimes it all hits a wall and later I come to find out that wall was exactly what needed to happen for things to begin to even out. I guess after enough of those walls, I learned to trust the process.............it is what it is, my mantra.

You continue to do all the right things and as a result, have gained a certain amount of peace of mind. A lot to pat yourself on the back for, this is one hairy journey, so any movement towards detachment is a celebration. I had to laugh about him sitting on the ramp, geez, sometimes you need to see the dark humor in all of it because it nearly always borders on the absurd and the bizarre.

Enjoy your moments, your days, your family............make this holiday season about YOU and the care and nurturing of YOU. I'll be doing that as well and sending you lots of hugs!