Son in hopsital feel like we're on wrong path

BusynMember

At tje time it was new and every kid seemed to have it. It doesnt seem to be like that now. I do think its smart to be careful when medicating young ones.

JRC

No doubt. Hence my suggestion for a more precise diagnosis. Stimulants plus a mood disorder (especially one that is not unipolar) is a dicey combination.

But just FYI, suggestion to anyone that their child's very grim diagnosis is trendy is not OK.

mom22

Thank you for sharing your experiences. He has seen a neuropsychologist and is diagnosed on the spectrum. In fact the neuropych thought that a lot of his behaviors are because we were not providing enough autism supports and seeing the behaviors through that lens. I did bring this up with the psychiatrists at the hospital and asked if that evaluation should influence the way the were approaching medication. They all said no. I am definitely questioning and less convinced that they are going in the right direction since every new medication or change seems to make things worse. I'm going to try to get in to see his pediatrician tomorrow and hope that maybe he can get us in to see someone else ASAP

Also unfortanate - because he has medicaid (former foster child) and our state (TX) medicaid does not cover ABA therapy, we are hitting a lot of road blocks for the autism supports.

susiestar

Roll With It
I think what SWOT meant is that at certain times the doctors seem to hand out a certain diagnosis more often than others. At one point in time, for a couple of years, it seemed that every single person who came here, and every single person in every doctor's office and therapist office we went to had a bipolar diagnosis for their child. A certain group of medications was being pushed VERY HARD by drug companies and their reps and the doctors were pushing the diagnosis for just about every child they saw. Or that is what it seemed like.

I fought with, and fired, several psychiatrists over this issue. My son is not and never has been bipolar. He has depression, severe and intractable depression, but not one single time has he ever shown ANY sign of mania or mixed moods. He is ONLY depressed. EVER. Yes, that is less common, but it is Wiz. It is who he is. No, he doesn't need mood stabilizers and they won't work for him. The one time we gave in and trialed them it was a huge disaster - and it was one of those times I went against my instincts and regretted it hugely.

Early onset (childhood) bipolar was on EVERY talk show and morning show and pediatricians and psychiatrists were diagnosing it and handing out medications for it like candy at one point. It actually was something that teachers were telling parents to get their kids checked for in some schools. We had a teacher insist that our daughter, who has no mental illness, was bipolar. I freaked on her and threatened to have her licensed yanked. I knew parents who were insisting on the diagnosis from their doctors, even when their kids really didn't seem to fit the diagnosis.

I think this is why SWOT used the term "trendy" to describe when her son was given the bipolar diagnosis. If you were not around at the time, it was during this period, and it actually was sort of a 'trendy' thing. SOrt of like when Jenny McCarthy was pushing her book on fixing autism with whatever special diet thing she used, and everyone jumped on that bandwagon. It lasted a few years and was a real mess. It ended when it came out that the makers of the medication Neurontin were pushing it as a treatment for bipolar in spite of knowing that it was totally not effective for bipolar. They got sued and had to pay a huge settlement, but they caused enormous pain and suffering. This seemed to sour a lot of people on the whole diagnosis and a lot of people refused to even discuss any treatment for their children whether their children had the disorder or not. Many learned their children didn't need treatment for the disorder, and some learned their children truly did need treatment.

pigless in VA

I took Ferb in for a diagnosis during that time. The clinician, I believe she was a psychologist, diagnosed Ferb with bipolar based on 10 minutes of interaction with him and the family history I described. Ferb was probably around 10 at this time. Lloyd was still living, and it was before he went all nutso on me. We were both very angry that she would leap to such a serious diagnosis with little to no basis. We never went back to her even though she is considered in our area to be an expert.

Years have gone by. I still have yet to see Ferb exhibit mania. Definitely depression. I do recognize that several of his relatives on his father's side do have a bipolar diagnosis. It's still out there as a possibility, but he appears to be responding normally to the anti-depressant.

in a daze

Difficult child was also misdiagnosed as bipolar 2 as a young adult for symptoms of irritability and treatment resistance. On hindsight, the "mood swings" were from drug abuse. During another hospitalization Difficult Child had a neuropsychologist exam which showed major depression, nonverbal learning disorder, and personality disorder, which we were aware of. No bipolar disorder.

I really hate to say trendy, and I know this doesn't apply to young children. However I do remember reading a book about bipolar disorder which was promoting the theory that treatment resistance and irritability could be bipolar 2. Whether that was true or not I don't know. All I know is this seemed to be a new theory and the book was current at the time, and that my son was misdiagnosed.

mom22

I am definitely leery of jumping to any new diagnosis and even more leery of going the route of medications. After our horrific weekend back on Abilify to help with the symptoms of Tardive Dyskenesia, the Dr. had us switch to very low dose rispersone on Monday evening. He continues with 15 mg daytrana patch.

Tuesday my son spent his day on an "alternate schedule" part of his behavioral intervention plan for when he can't function in the classroom (he was making constant noises, speaking in disjointed sentences, repeating statements over and over again, throwing things....). He was improving by the afternoon. The most interesting thing is a sample of his writing done in the AM and then another piece of writing done in the mid afternoon. Looking at the two pieces of writing you would never guess they were done by the same child they are so different in neatness, coherency, length.

At 5:00 Tuesday, when I picked him up from afterschool program I thought wow "he is almost normal again". By 6:15 he was rocking and some speech issues. By 7 he was making odd gross motor movements and thrusting out his tongue and giggling as he said in baby voice that he just liked chewing it. By 8 he was speaking full baby talk "me want toy"., and could not be redirected at all - acting on every single impulse he had... Today he was somewhat off in the morning but less so and tonight the "symptoms" didn't start until 6:30 and were 70% less pronounced than yesterday. Hoping we are on the road to full improvement and then eventually discontinuing the Risperdone at a safer pace.

The Dr. has added behavioral disinhibition to our list.

So - yes, I am leery :)

BusynMember

I would want him off the risperdal. My son got crazy on it and was also diagnosed with tardive dyskenia. I was told he cant take it. At all. Not any. I agree. Your son sounds like it is still affecting him badly.

Why would he need two anti psycotics together anyways? Sounds heavy duty for any kid, no matter what is wrong.i say get a different opinion.

mom22

The Risperdal replaced the Abilify. But he was on both before his hospitalization. The rational now from Dr. is that he needs one or the other to ease the symptoms of TD until he can be safely weaned. The Dr. did also suggest that we could hospitalize again to get a handle on this more quickly. How long did it take your son's TD to go away once he quit the Risperdal?

Maddmom

The Risperdal replaced the Abilify. But he was on both before his hospitalization. The rational now from Dr. is that he needs one or the other to ease the symptoms of TD until he can be safely weaned. The Dr. did also suggest that we could hospitalize again to get a handle on this more quickly. How long did it take your son's TD to go away once he quit the Risperdal?
Just curious to know if Ambilify had didr affects. Is that why he switched. My daughter takes it. In my opinion doesn't do anthin for her

mom22

Just curious to know if Ambilify had didr affects. Is that why he switched. My daughter takes it. In my opinion doesn't do anthin for her
I think the Abilify caused the mood swings and aggression that landed us in the hospital and I think withdrawing him from it too fast is what caused the Tardive dyskensia. Although he had the TD last week (progressively worse over the week) he was cheerful and much more cooperative. We started the abilify again on Fri night and Sat he was raging and Sunday crying inconsolably plus all the other weird behavioral symptoms. Has to be a connection in my opinion.