We talked to the neighbors

TerryJ2

I am so glad I waited a day and let everything cool off.

I called first and said we were going to stop by.

We stood in the door and I handed them the two notes and the gift card (they didn't really look at anything, just took it).
We had a very nice chat. husband was very concerned that the H would still be irate but he had calmed down.

We told them we were working with-difficult child and they understood. In fact, the mom had specificially instructed the police to scare the ^(#*@*#$ off of difficult child and not press charges, and she said, "Did it work? Did they do what I asked?"

Yes. ;)
And H added, "We love difficult child. The kids have grown up together. It's really sad we can't have him over any more."
We agreed and thanked them.

I feel like there's a bit of closure there. Whew. :whiteflag::anxious:

Fran

Former desparate mom
You are handling this all with grace and dignity. :thumbsup:
It is a difficult situation. Way To Go! A lot of people would have taken the offensive/defensive attitude. You are simply seeing what it is and trying to make amends. Hugs.

witzend

I'm glad that you were able to sit down and talk with them calmly about your feelings and concerns. I hope that things will settle down as much as is possible.

OpenWindow

I think you're handling this spectacularly. And I think your neighbors are too.

Hopefully, the police did scare him enough to think twice if he gets this sort of idea in his head again.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
You' and your neighbors have handled this so well that these people may be willing to help you out again down the road if difficult child keeps his nose clean. Who knows. But bravo!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I wish more people would think things through and "try" to work it out. This is most likely a great learning/growing experience for all of you! Even the neighbors.

I can't tell you how happy I am to have read this post! How nice that the neighbors were cordial.

I am pulling for difficult child all the way.

DazedandConfused

I strongly believe that having good relationships with the neighbors can be more important than family.

You handled yourself so well. Good for you. Kudos to the neighbors. This has to be so difficult for them, also.

trinityroyal

Terry,
I'm so glad to hear that the neighbours are being understanding and rational about this.
You've all handled the situation so well.

Whew!

nvts

I think all of you deserve a round of applause! Everyone has really stepped up and keeping the priorities where they lie, with difficult child "getting it"!

Congratulations!

Beth

Glad to hear your neighborly relationship is going to survive their breech of privacy! I applaud both sets of parents for their ability to communicate!

Hope difficult child keeps it in his head next time he has a choice to make!

jannie

trying to survive....
I am so glad you were able to talk to the neighbors and follow up. You've done a great job handling a really stressful situation.....

N

Nomad

Wow...I missed a day on the board and so much has happened.
So many positives here! The neighbors, particularly the mom, sound like really good people. And the police did a really top notch job helping out all around. Hopefully, difficult child wiill have learned something.
I think you handled this very stressful situation with grace and dignitiy...sending good thoughts and prayers for you and your family.