difficult child is ready to help himself

KFld

difficult child called me from work last night. I hadn't heard from him in 3 days. He said he needs detox and rehab. He left the hotel and him and his girlfriend spent the night at girlfriend's mothers house. I gave him a bunch of phone number to call and he is making the calls to see who can take him. I will glady give him a ride when he finds a place.

I'm glad he's ready for help and I also pray he doesn't lose his job. I guess they made him head of his department last week, so they must really like him, but he has only been there 6 months so he can't even get use FMLA yet.

I'll let you know how we made out

DDD

Wonderful update, Karen. I'm rootin' for him. He did it once and I'm sure he can do it again. DDD

Nancy

Great news, I am thrilled. I know this is a first step but it's a huge one.

I'm praying I get that call soon. difficult child is on the street and way out of control.

Nancy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Fabulous news. I hope he can get into a good program and that his job likes him enough to work with him.

Saying prayers.

Hugs

T

toughlovin

Great news.... and such a huge first step and I think it is so positive that he came to it himself. I hope he finds a place soon.

KFld

So first thing this morning difficult child calls and I give him lots of phone numbers to detox/rehabs and he starts making the calls and finds out that my insurance stopped covering opiate rehabiliation in 2009!!!! So here he is willing to go and wants to go and he can't get in anywhere because his insurance won't cover detox from what he is addicted too, yet they cover is suboxon.

One place told him and I think this is what he is going to have to do, that if he were using other things, like benzo's or alchohol and not just opiates that they could get him in the door, then they will just have to bill it as alcoholic detox and rehab. So he now how has to get benzo's in his system and drink on the way to the detox facility so both of these things are in his system so hopefully one of the things will get him in!! I in no way want to urge him to take any drugs or drink, which is something he really never does, but it's the only way he's going to get into rehab.

He wants to detox, stay at rehab for a while, then move back into a soberhouse. He wants to do the right thing, so why does it have to be so difficult????

Have you ever heard anything so rediculous????

Nancy

That's crazy, but we have horror stories from our insurance coverage for difficult child's rehab too. We still owe thousands after the $10,000 deductible and they only covered 10 days of the 60. And to top it off they didnt even give us credit toward our deductible for what we paid out of pocket after the ten days because they said our benefits ran out. So when we had future medical bills unrelated to rehab they were not covered because they said our benefits ran out.

We need to find a way to help addicts. Our society cannot afford to keep refusing to provide care.

I hope he is able to get into detox.

Nancy

T

toughlovin

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Why on earth would they cover tx for alcohol and not opiates?

KFld

It is rediculous. I'm just glad that one facility is willing to let us know how he can get in. He actually slept on my couch last night because he had no place to go. I'm waking him up shortly and he is going to call to make sure they have a bed and then I guess he'll drink a few beers on the ride up!!
I'll let you all know how he makes out. Hopefully there won't be any reason they send him away when we get there, because I dont' know what I'll do with him then.

KFld

Thanks everyone. He's in the shower right now and already called the facility. They have 3 beds open, so as soon as he's out of the shower and dressed we are on our way! Just have to make him a nice stiff drink for the ride!!
Just can't wait until he's admitted and I'm on my way back home.

Once we get passed this step, the next one is hoping his work will hold his job. I know that is going to make a huge difference to him because he will know he has that to hold onto.