Got fired yesterday over nothing and not handling it well

BusynMember

Thanks a lot, Malika (and cute little J) :) Thinking of J makes me smile.

I did all I can. In the US there is almost nothing you can do. The company has the right to fire anybody at will and you can't contest it unless it is based on racial prejudice. Even then, good chance you'll lose. Doesn't matter what the truth is, but I'm still writing a detailed letter to the head of the program. At least I'll feel I did all I could, which is precious little. We aren't even called employees here in the US. We are "associates." Nice, huh?

I hope you had a nice trip. If you are back, I love your posts and welcome you warmly :)

pasajes4

You have been dealt a low blow. To be fired without really knowing the reason stinks big time. Sending gentle ((((HUGS)))).

susiestar

Roll With It
(((((hugs)))))

Of course you have had meltdowns!! ANYONE would in your situation. I was fired once, and truly thought I would NEVER get another job. My company did it to a LOT of people, close to seven percent of ALL employees, at the same time. Each and every one of us had taken disability leave for some problem, and even maternity leave was counted in this group. The CEO and majority owner flat out told the local paper that we could go ahead and sue him. He had more lawyers and better lawyers and would drag it out and spend very penny he had to make sure that if anyone got a dime out of this, it owuld be their great grandkids. It wasn't published, but I know the reporter he said it to - it was a cousin of mine!

Please use your tools to help you get through this in the healthiest way possible. You have worked with a LOT of tdocs and psychiatrists, and they taught you a LOT. Think back on those lessons and the tools they taught you to use, and go back tos ome of those things. Look for a NAMI group and even if you have to drive an hour each way, go to those support groups for a while. Go to your doctor and see if your medications can be tweaked a bit, as that may also be a big help.

Do NOT worry about a reference. Head Start CANNOT give you a bad reference. If they do? Get a lawyer. I am NOT joking. Legally if they do ANYTHNG other than confirm employment dates, they can be sued. Saying ANYTHING negative is seen as 'black balling' and is very very illegal. MANY companies instruct managers not to give ANY info other than employment dates because even if YOU think it is praise it could keep someone from getting a job. I once didn't get a job because a former employer said I was very bright and curious. The company I applied to didn't want those things, they wanted someone to do exactly what they were told and nothing else. it was a telemarketing job and they wanted someone to only say what was in their script, to not ever deviate even one word off of that script no matter what the caller said.

I would let the HR person do her job and talk to the honcho. Forward her your fb page with comments from other people. If nothing comes of that, tell people in the community, esp parents of head start kids, ALL that the driver is doing and encourage them to complain about her. I am sure some parents will be IRATE over these things and will shake things up a bit.

I am so sorry this happened, but you ARE in good company. LOTS of us have been fired wrongly for other people's lies and manipulations. You WILL get through this and you will find meaning in your life again. And meaning in your person. You are TONS more than this job, and they should have been thankful to have you, esp as you put up with this driver!

BusynMember

Not good. But I'm going to the movies with a few people who read my FB and probably feel sorry for me...lol. I'm not a movie fan, but I'll give it a try. Because I have disabilities and have had so much trouble legitimately holding down jobs, this will stay with me a long time. I wonder when I will be myself again. It certainly is not today. I could cry on a dime.

Thanks for asking :)

rejectedmom

I'm so sorry about your job and all the feelings this situation has stirred up. I'm glad you ent out with caring people. I hope each new day finds you in a better frame of mind. -RM

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I'm so sorry MWM, it's a cruel blow and it'll take time, allow yourself that time. Take it one moment at a time and be very kind to yourself........hugs.........

HopeRemains

Hi there, MWM. I don't usually come into the watercooler, but I did today and am so sorry to read this post. I hope that you are feeling a bit better now and please remember that there is always tomorrow!!! I'm going through a radical whole life change soon and that is my mantra right now. I like to listen to the Beatles "Here Comes the Sun" these days to help get me though. My heart goes out to you, but I know you will beat this like you've beaten other obsticle that you've faced in your life! (Hugs to you!)