Just stopping by...

LauraH

To wish all the moms and the dads who wear the "mom hat" a very happy Mother's Day.

I am optimistically cautious as I share the following with you all. Given the nature of bipolar, it's anybody's guess how long it will last but for the moment, at least, my son is doing very well. He was discharged from the psychiatric hospital about a month ago and was able to skip rehab and go straight to a sober living facility. So far that's going great. He's been attending meetings every day, which speaks volumes to me. There is one mandatory on-site meeting a week and anything beyond that is voluntary. He's made friends who are in the same boat and they support each other. He has a sponsor as well.

He's seen the toxic boyfriend (or ex as of now) when he went to his house to get some of his belongings, which are being stored there until he gets into his own place.

And he starts a new job tomorrow in the call center of a major regional healthcare/hospital network. His goal is to stay at the sober living house as long as he can, which I believe is one year. While he's there his rent is ridiculously low and that will allow him more time in a controlled drug-free environment as well as save money for when he goes out on his own. He's also looking into attending the NA national conference in Orlando (June or July, I'm not sure which), although since he's fairly new he would have to go with a staffer or a resident who has been there longer. But if he does get to go, I'll be able to see him, since I'm only an hour or so from Orlando!

He is a completely different person. It's actually a pleasure to talk to him again! And he wrote me a beautiful from-the-heart poem as my Mother's Day gift.

On this of all days I wish for each of you the happiness that I am currently feeling. And for the rest of you I pray for peace of mind and heart. Again, Happy Mother's Day!

LauraH

I left out that he's seen the toxic boyfriend/ex-boyfriend (whichever the case may be) and that the boyfriend wanted to get back together but my son told him not unless he gets clean. I hope he sticks to his guns. It's hard enough battling addiction when you have the support of loved ones, and it must be almost impossible if one of those loved ones is a user himself.

Origami

Hi Laura!
Good to hear that your son has a job and is doing better. It's always great to get that "guarded optimism" back that they might be on the right track! My son is doing better, also. He is out of rehab now and working a part-time job.