Soda-pop...

AppleCori

Last time I was in Texas, January/February, we went to a couple of different restaurants that served what they call ‘Mexican Coke’. It should really be called old-fashioned Coke, because it was in those green-glass bottles and made with real sugar.

Lil

The reason all you folks around my age (late 50's) hate regular soda now when you liked it when you were young? Simple. When we were young, it had real sugar in it. Now it has high fructose corn-syrup in it.

HFCS has a very distinctive flavor to those of us who grew up with real sugar in beverages.

I wonder if that's when the Coke/New Coke/Classic Coke fiasco happened?

That would explain a lot.

Pink Elephant

Coke, Apple??? For 7 up? Hehe. A friend who grew up in the south told me that everything there was Coke. And I told her about the word pop and she laughed at that and we both did a little friendly teasing about that.

In Wisconsin it is soda. If I slip up and say "pop" I am not sure I am being understood...lol.

My favorite teen drink was Tab. Remember that, Pink? When I do treat myself to a diet soda it is either diet Coke, diet root beer or my favorite diet cream soda.

My stomach feels better without whatever type of stuff they put in any sort of pop/soda/Coke. Yet O rolwratecoffee well. Go figure.
I always found 7-UP to be overly sweet, so never drank it.

If you say "pop", I will totally understand you! :)

Pink Elephant

Yes, and with my family mostly being from the Chicago area, and my having lived in WI for about 13 years and started calling the stuff "soda", instead of "pop", I get the occasional weird look when I'm around family where a "soda" is a dessert type beverage made with seltzer water, flavoring syrup, and ice cream.

Oh...and my cold beverage of choice? Caffeine-free Diet Pepsi, of which I drink 3 bottles per day.

The reason all you folks around my age (late 50's) hate regular soda now when you liked it when you were young? Simple. When we were young, it had real sugar in it. Now it has high fructose corn-syrup in it.

HFCS has a very distinctive flavor to those of us who grew up with real sugar in beverages.

I was in Germany during the 80s (came home in late 92) when the switchover happened. (HFCS is banned for human consumption in most of the world; its very bad for us).

I had loved Fanta orange pop as a kid, and really loved the German version, which was less sweet and more "citrusy". When I came back stateside, they had gone to HFCS. I bought a can of Fanta orange, and nearly gagged.

Not only was it horribly sweet, but it had this weird, sort of, "Karo-ey" taste.

I stuck it out with Coke for a bit, switched to Diet Coke, and then to Diet Pepsi. Developed a caffeine intolerance and had to cut way back. So went caffeine free other than a mug of tea when i get up.
Yes indeed, I stay away from all things HFCS.

I recently tried an Orange Crush after several decades, only to feel that I was drinking oil, and sure enough, upon reading the ingredients, it was largely made up of vegetable oil. Disgusting.

Pink Elephant

Coke, Apple??? For 7 up? Hehe. A friend who grew up in the south told me that everything there was Coke. And I told her about the word pop and she laughed at that and we both did a little friendly teasing about that.

In Wisconsin it is soda. If I slip up and say "pop" I am not sure I am being understood...lol.

My favorite teen drink was Tab. Remember that, Pink? When I do treat myself to a diet soda it is either diet Coke, diet root beer or my favorite diet cream soda.

My stomach feels better without whatever type of stuff they put in any sort of pop/soda/Coke. Yet O rolwratecoffee well. Go figure.
I can't remember if I ever had Tab, but the one I still like is Dr. Pepper. Has such a refreshing bite. Also love root beer, too, especially A&W.

Pink Elephant

Last time I was in Texas, January/February, we went to a couple of different restaurants that served what they call ‘Mexican Coke’. It should really be called old-fashioned Coke, because it was in those green-glass bottles and made with real sugar.
How cool is that! I love a traditional Italian Soda. Not too sweet, and ever so refreshing.